Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 04:11:27 pm

Author Topic: VCE HHD Question Thread!  (Read 261931 times)  Share 

hodang

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Re: VCE HHD Question Thread!
« Reply #585 on: January 21, 2017, 12:00:12 pm »
For this dot point in the study design
•   The role of determinants of health, including the physical environment, biological, behavioural and social, in explaining variations in health status:

Do we have to know all factors relating to a specific determinant? Such as for example-
Biological determinant (do we have to know blood pressure, birth weight, blood cholesterol, glucose regulation, genetics - or can we choose a few such as 2 or 3 and learn them?)

For blood cholesterol - do you think we need to know the 2 types of cholesterol in the body? etc.. do we just need to know- What is it, What happens if theres too much in the body (AFFECT ON HEALTH STATUS) or..?

For - Low birth weight - do we need to know the causes of low brith weight such as age of mother, nutrition of mother, smoking/drug use

For - Body weight - do we need to know anything about BMI or is that too extra?

For - Glucose regulation - Do we need to know like what happens when carbs are eaten (e.g-  glucose is absorbed into the bloodstream.  An increase in glucose levels will increase the release of insulin from the pancreas which allows glucose to travel from the bloodstream into the cells to be used for energy ?  (or is that too biology for HHD?) or the impact on this mechanism? (e.g- cells can develop insulin resistance/glucose intolerance in response to high insulin levels, preventing glucose from entering the cells, impairing glucose regulation. This means that glucose will remain in the blood, resulting in High blood glucose levels and in time resulting in diabetes mellitus type 2.)  LOL sorry guys, the textbook covers so much i don't know if this is even relevant? Study design is very broad so im not really sure

For - Sex - Men: Do we need to know what this practically: (males have higher levels of testosterone plays an important role in sperm production and increasing risk-taking behaviours. This can help explain higher rates of injury in men. The body shape of men means that they store more fat around the abdomen than women which is a risk factor cardiovascular disease.)
(woman oestrogen plays a protective role in cardiovascular disease and also the maintenance of bone density. This hormone explains why women have a higher rate of osteoporosis because as women go through menopause, their oestrogen levels start to decline (making them more susceptible to break and fractures). Oestrogen is also linked to distribution and deposition of fat in the body. Oestrogen tends to result in fat being deposited around the buttocks and thighs (pear shape)

Basically, can anyone tell me what exactly we need to know for this dot point.

Aswell as for Biological determinant ( or we choose 2 or 3 from: tobacco smoking, drug misuse, dietary behavior, risk-taking behavior, physical activity (is this irrelevant saw this somewhere -
    Healthy body weight:
Physical activity means the individual uses more energy, which can contribute to H.B.W
This reduces the risk of obesity and associated conditions such as CVD, type 2 diabetes & some cancers.
   Healthy blood vessels:
Physical activity assists in maintaining the elasticity of blood vessels which decreases blood pressure and reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease.
   Positive mental health and lower rates of depression, anxiety and stress.
Exercise can help to relieve stress and produces endorphins, which are hormones that promote feelings of wellbeing.

Same for all the other determinants but i cant continue haha you guys get what i mean

So bascially im trying to say:

+ What do we need to know from this dot point
+ Do we need to know all the factors relating to them (like the ones ive listen or just 2-3?)
+ If we do need to learn them what exactly do we need to know (what is it, what is it caused by, affect on health status)?
+ What exactly is irrelevant that we shouldnt focus on

LOL, if you read this and reply to me, that will be very much appreciated. Thanks alot and sorry for the confusion :p 

helloeveryone

« Reply #586 on: January 21, 2017, 01:13:57 pm »
Does anyone have the answers for unit 3 and 4 key concepts hhd book the jacaranda one? it sucks how every subjects has answers except this one

Pretty sure there are answers for Jacaranda's questions. I remember my teacher posting them to us every time we started a chapter but unfortunately they were commercially produced so I can't share them, sorry :-\. Try asking your teacher if they have them?

For this dot point ... for the confusion :p

At this point, you don't need to know any of the determinant examples too in depth. You just need to know that, for example, high blood cholesterol leads to higher cardiovascular disease risk, increasing morbidity rates and thus lowering health status (maybe even a cause for high blood cholestrol like high fat diet). In top you this, you should know the stuff about low birth weight and sex. My teacher said that it wouldn't hurt as it shows a higher level of understanding.

However once you get to NHPA/nutrition part, you will need to know:
- The different cholesterol types and their effects
- Everything you've said about glucose regulation (although maybe not too scientifically in depth)
- BMI as a way to classify obesity (don't need to know how it's calculated)

Also, I would know all of the factors relating to a specific determinant (the textbook ones at a minimum).

P.S What I've just said is ultimately really dependent on how your school runs the course. At my school, everything was catered towards preparing you for the end of year exam; bullshit that wasn't going to be on there was cut out. Your school might do it differently by chucking some non-exam things into SACs. So really, check before you take anything of what I've just said on board :P.

Hope that helps.
 :) :)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 01:21:38 pm by helloeveryone »

hodang

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #587 on: January 21, 2017, 09:38:07 pm »
Thankyou so much helloeveryone

Maya24

• MOTM: OCT 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +114
« Reply #588 on: February 08, 2017, 07:51:47 pm »
Would we  need to know the exact definitions for the health status indicators?

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #589 on: February 08, 2017, 08:18:11 pm »
Would we  need to know the exact definitions for the health status indicators?

Absolutely!

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Maya24

• MOTM: OCT 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +114
« Reply #590 on: February 08, 2017, 09:12:25 pm »
+1
Thank you :)

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #591 on: February 09, 2017, 09:18:42 am »
+1
Thank you :)

No problem!

I think the health status indicators are one area I'd actually prioritise when it comes to definitions. I don't know of a subject more definition-heavy than HHD (I actually did some number crunching the other month, and traditionally a pretty considerable portion of the exam comes from definitions), but some, IMO, are more crucial than others. And health status indicators are one of those.

Why? Well, because they relate to practically the entire course. If you have to link something to its impact (positive or negative) on global health or health status, I think a really good place to start (depending a little on the structure of the question) would be to define the relevant health status indicator. :)

I don't think it's a bad thing, really. I actually enjoyed the challenge of nailing each and every definition! :D

pap0007

• Adventurer
« Reply #592 on: February 21, 2017, 07:59:08 pm »
hi i just did a health sac for determinants of health and difference in population groups and there was a question asking to choose 2 determinants of health that would account for the difference in higher injury mortality rates in rural and remote areas when compared to metropolitan areas. one of my determinants i said that "rural and remote areas have higher rates of risk taking behavior such as drug use which increases rates of violence and therefore increases injury mortality rates when compared to metropolitan areas". i didnt receive any marks for this determinant. i have since asked why and the teacher told me she will check it out but i was wandering if this would be valid for the this population group?

gemmaruffin

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +53
« Reply #593 on: February 22, 2017, 11:13:46 pm »
+1
hi i just did a health sac for determinants of health and difference in population groups and there was a question asking to choose 2 determinants of health that would account for the difference in higher injury mortality rates in rural and remote areas when compared to metropolitan areas. one of my determinants i said that "rural and remote areas have higher rates of risk taking behavior such as drug use which increases rates of violence and therefore increases injury mortality rates when compared to metropolitan areas". i didnt receive any marks for this determinant. i have since asked why and the teacher told me she will check it out but i was wandering if this would be valid for the this population group?

I think you just needed to link between how drugs increase rates of violence and then your answer would have been better!
Last year I always did my determinant questions in 3 steps and I found it helped really well -
1. those in rural and remote areas have higher levels of drug use than those in metropolitan areas. (compare the determinant)
2. Drug use can lead to an increased risk of violent behaviour due to impacted thoughts, which may increase the risk of injuries. (explain your determinant)
3. This may explain why those in rural and remote areas have higher levels of morbidity due to injury rates than those in metropolitan areas (compare the health difference)

This always makes sure you cover your bases!
2016 - HHD (49)
2017 - Bio (41), Chem, Italian, English (43), Methods

Happy to help out with any HHD questions, and remember - there is life after VCE :)

Adriana3149

• Adventurer
« Reply #594 on: March 04, 2017, 05:30:13 pm »
Hey guys
please look through my hhd questions because I haven't done 1/2 before and I'm not sure if its correct or not

thanks so much!

seth

« Reply #595 on: March 05, 2017, 09:04:22 am »
Hey guys
please look through my hhd questions because I haven't done 1/2 before and I'm not sure if its correct or not

thanks so much!

Only got through the first 4 pages but then remembered that I had a SAC tomorrow x_x
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 09:07:53 am by seth »

tryingtogetsmart

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #596 on: March 07, 2017, 05:15:31 pm »
Hey guys, Can anyone give me a example answer for 'using the data from the graph above, identify a trend'. Just want to make sure I have the structure right before I hand it in!

Thanks in advance

littledreamer

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #597 on: March 09, 2017, 11:00:49 pm »
Hey guys

thanks so much!

Hey, if you still need help I had a go at answering some :) Following on from what was already corrected:
bi)
1 tobacco use: current daily smoker
Those in the lowest socioeconomic status (SES) group have higher rates of tobacco use, as approximately 22% are current daily smokers compared to 10% of the highest SES groups being daily smokers.
2 physical activity: sedentary/low exercise level
Those in the lowest SES group have lower levels of physical activity compared to those in the highest SES group as they have 75% and 60% of sedentary/ low exercise levels respectively.
ii)
1 Possible health status: Those in low SES groups have higher rates of premature death than those in high SES groups
High rates of tobacco use is a risk factor for lung cancer and other respiratory diseases. Lung cancer can be fatal, thus contributing to higher rates of premature death in low SES groups compared to high SES groups. 
2 Possible health status: Those in low SES groups have higher rates of obesity
Sedentary/low exercise levels are a risk factor for overweight and obesity, hence, contributing to the higher rates of obesity in low SES groups compared to high SES groups (not sure about this one because it's a bit obvious)

With your other answers on the doc, I think you have the right idea but just rephrase your answers to make them more clear

Hope this helps! Feel free to correct if any of these are wrong :)

ayush.mahajan

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #598 on: April 23, 2017, 02:09:24 pm »
Hey guys,
If a question asks me to explain a program for a NHPA such as diabetes mellitus, and I decide to use LiveLighter, do I have to give an explanation of how the program specifically addresses the NHPA? For example, LiveLighter can be used for many NHPA's, so would I be able to provide the exact same response as if I were asked to explain a program for cardiovascular health?

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #599 on: April 23, 2017, 02:10:22 pm »
Hey guys,
If a question asks me to explain a program for a NHPA such as diabetes mellitus, and I decide to use LiveLighter, do I have to give an explanation of how the program specifically addresses the NHPA? For example, LiveLighter can be used for many NHPA's, so would I be able to provide the exact same response as if I were asked to explain a program for cardiovascular health?

I'd definitely make it as specific to the relevant NHPA as possible. :)