Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 07:44:16 pm

Author Topic: VCE HHD Question Thread!  (Read 261951 times)  Share 

Butterflygirl

• Trendsetter
  • An evil ferocious demon.
  • Respect: +4
Re: VCE HHD Question Thread!
« Reply #630 on: July 06, 2017, 07:21:33 pm »
+1
It was definitely a lot of hard thinking and small handwriting, but I did get there in the end! For revision, I remember having summary tables which had all the information I needed, then I would summarise each dot point of the study design to an A4 page, and then when I had done an outcome of each one, I would do an overall summary of the whole outcome on A3 (I found a photo of outcome 2 unit 4 that I attached!)

For revision, especially NHPAS, practise questions are the absolute best option! I pretty much knew a little spiel about each NHPA program off by heart, but luckily for unit 4 programs you can make them up, and then again condense your information so that you have less to learn ;)

I can't remember exactly how I remembered the determinants for NHPAs, but I think if you have a good understanding about what the NHPA is about, you can pretty much work out what determinant would affect it, like for example cardiovascular health would have some relation to obesity. The NHPA SAC was the one I'll probably always remember because I dropped two marks for writing cardiovascular disease and type two diabetes instead of cardiovascular health and diabetes mellitus, so trust me - always learn your detailed terminology!

I've gone on a tangent again, as per usual, but hopefully this helps you :)

Just a quick question, around when did u officially start exam preparation (doing papers etc.)?
Thanks!! :)

gemmaruffin

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +53
« Reply #631 on: July 07, 2017, 05:07:55 pm »
+2
Just a quick question, around when did u officially start exam preparation (doing papers etc.)?
Thanks!! :)

I didn't properly start studying until Term 3 holidays! My first trial paper was the one I did at school (somehow got a 89??) and then just did practise exams after that leading up to the exam. I don't find it that useful to do heaps and heaps of papers, but rather try and get really detailed feedback from your teacher so that you know what to fix up (I was probably getting ~96,97 on my practise papers the week before the exam, but I think I only ended up doing about 8 total.
2016 - HHD (49)
2017 - Bio (41), Chem, Italian, English (43), Methods

Happy to help out with any HHD questions, and remember - there is life after VCE :)

merryn_hall

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #632 on: July 08, 2017, 09:21:58 am »
+1
Why do you think non-communicable diseases
don’t receive a lot of attention in countries such as
Uganda where rates are higher than in Australia?

amigos

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #633 on: July 08, 2017, 09:30:57 am »
+1
Why do you think non-communicable diseases
don’t receive a lot of attention in countries such as
Uganda where rates are higher than in Australia?

Because communicable diseases are more prevalent there. People are more likely to focus more on the 'imminent dangers' of malaria, for instance, than conditions such as obesity and diabetes.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 09:40:43 am by amigos »

merryn_hall

• Adventurer
« Reply #634 on: July 08, 2017, 10:17:39 am »
+1
Hi there,
I was wondering what the go is with 'double dipping' in health?
For example using the same determinant more than once for different NHPA questions in the same SAC/exam.

Would we not get a mark as it doesn't display a broader knowledge or is that up to individual schools for SACs?

In the exam would they ignore if we 'double dip'?

merryn_hall

• Adventurer
« Reply #635 on: July 08, 2017, 10:39:46 am »
+2
I find this a really interesting question, seeing you only really need to know the 4! But I guess you could talk about for a - gross domestic product (value of goods produced and services provided in a year), or something like employment rate or prevalence of illness, but for b - it may be difficult as the 4 main factors really cover everything - and there wouldn't need to be much else.

Yeah I know what you mean!
Both questions were from the Jacaranda textbook I have and I didn't really get why it would ask me to identify these factors that I don't need to directly know.
Most likely to secure my understanding that the initial 4 factors are the most relevant or something.

Thanks for your help  ;D

gemmaruffin

• Forum Regular
« Reply #636 on: July 08, 2017, 12:24:41 pm »
+2

Yeah I know what you mean!
Both questions were from the Jacaranda textbook I have and I didn't really get why it would ask me to identify these factors that I don't need to directly know.
Most likely to secure my understanding that the initial 4 factors are the most relevant or something.

Thanks for your help  ;D

All good! I had the jacaranda textbook last year too, and I found the textbook questions to be so irrelevant to the course (I honestly don't remember doing any of them throughout the year)
2016 - HHD (49)

Happy to help out with any HHD questions, and remember - there is life after VCE :)

gemmaruffin

• Forum Regular
« Reply #637 on: July 08, 2017, 12:31:31 pm »
+4

Hi there,
I was wondering what the go is with 'double dipping' in health?
For example using the same determinant more than once for different NHPA questions in the same SAC/exam.

Would we not get a mark as it doesn't display a broader knowledge or is that up to individual schools for SACs?

In the exam would they ignore if we 'double dip'?

God I don't mind not having to hear about double dipping anymore
I got away with it whenever you did a different question, so like 3 to 4, but if you were talking a to b, you can't do it
Confusing, but it will probably make more sense when you do practise exams!
2016 - HHD (49)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #638 on: July 09, 2017, 11:15:48 am »
+4
Great work in this thread! :D

A particularly big thank you to gemmaruffin, who's been smashing it! 🙌

Sorry about my relative absence here in the last week or two.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

gemmaruffin

• Forum Regular
« Reply #639 on: July 10, 2017, 12:06:31 am »
+6
Great work in this thread! :D

A particularly big thank you to gemmaruffin, who's been smashing it! 🙌

Sorry about my relative absence here in the last week or two.

Awww, thanks! Just trying to spread knowledge and love for HHD, ya know?  ;)
2016 - HHD (49)

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #640 on: July 24, 2017, 03:52:31 pm »
+3
Awww, thanks! Just trying to spread knowledge and love for HHD, ya know?  ;)

Oh, I know! It's a great subject. :))

gemmaruffin

• Forum Regular
« Reply #641 on: July 24, 2017, 04:35:17 pm »
+3
Oh, I know! It's a great subject. :))
I actually miss it now! Everyone who's doing it in my year talks about it and all I wanna do is go smash some questions hahah :)
2016 - HHD (49)

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #642 on: July 24, 2017, 07:19:15 pm »
+4
I actually miss it now! Everyone who's doing it in my year talks about it and all I wanna do is go smash some questions hahah :)

ATAR Notes is the perfect place for you. ;)

One of us, one of us!

kaii

• Trailblazer
« Reply #643 on: July 27, 2017, 11:06:04 pm »
+1
Please help! Confused HHD-er  :(

I still haven't quite gotten my head around the elements of sustainability. I don't quite get appropriateness as an element and often confuse this with equity. Any help and explanations would be really good! Thanksss
2016 - Biology
2017 - Chemistry | Methods | Psychology | English | HHD

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
« Reply #644 on: July 28, 2017, 08:48:37 am »
+4
Please help! Confused HHD-er  :(

I still haven't quite gotten my head around the elements of sustainability. I don't quite get appropriateness as an element and often confuse this with equity. Any help and explanations would be really good! Thanksss

If you just think about it logically, from what the word means - appropriateness is about the program being... appropriate to the situation of those you're trying to help; that's all there is to it.

For example:

- if most of the people you're trying to help are illiterate, it's hardly appropriate to give them literature on health-promoting behaviours; instead, try and deliver it visually or through talking to people

- if they don't have many electrical powerpoints or electricity is very expensive or (many other issues), don't try supplying them with iPads

- if they don't have cars, you need to make your program available within walking distance

- if the men won't allow the women out of the house, or to talk to other men, you need to find a way around that - you can't run a health or water or nutrition program without addressing that fact

A key thing with HHD is to try and move away from thinking of things in terms of textbook answers, and moving towards basic logical thinking - for example, rather than learning officially what makes a good program, just think logically about how it would play out in real life.  Rather than learning a list of Costs Of NHPAs, just think - how does someone having cancer make us pay both money and emotionally?  In this way, HHD is mostly common sense and requires much less Content Learning/"Studying" than you'd think.  I didn't refer to any notes writing this, I just thought about what it meant off the top of my head, and I haven't looked at HHD notes in ages; I just used common sense.

It's a subtle difference, but in my experience makes all the difference in the world.

Does that make sense? :)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 08:51:40 am by heids »
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care