Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 07:04:48 pm

Author Topic: VCE HHD Question Thread!  (Read 261946 times)  Share 

gemmaruffin

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +53
Re: VCE HHD Question Thread!
« Reply #645 on: July 30, 2017, 10:49:28 am »
+4

A key thing with HHD is to try and move away from thinking of things in terms of textbook answers, and moving towards basic logical thinking - for example, rather than learning officially what makes a good program, just think logically about how it would play out in real life.  Rather than learning a list of Costs Of NHPAs, just think - how does someone having cancer make us pay both money and emotionally?  In this way, HHD is mostly common sense and requires much less Content Learning/"Studying" than you'd think.  I didn't refer to any notes writing this, I just thought about what it meant off the top of my head, and I haven't looked at HHD notes in ages; I just used common sense.

It's a subtle difference, but in my experience makes all the difference in the world.

Does that make sense? :)

I second this so much!! If you try to think about everything in Health logically it does make sense, and then rather than studying textbook answers that don't make much sense, you can come up with your own answers that will be way more likely to make sense not just to you, but whoever is marking your SACS/Exam, and therefore you'll probably get better marks because of it!
2016 - HHD (49)
2017 - Bio (41), Chem, Italian, English (43), Methods

Happy to help out with any HHD questions, and remember - there is life after VCE :)

buster99

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #646 on: August 03, 2017, 05:49:29 pm »
 Unit 4 health and human development, the question I had was
Identify the SDG that aims to reduce under 5 mortality rate

(once I got out of the SAC I realised it was obviously SDG 3 Good Health and Wellbeing)

But silly me wrote SDG 2 Zero hunger and justified why
Would I still have lost marks for this ??

gisele

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #647 on: August 03, 2017, 06:28:40 pm »
+5
Unit 4 health and human development, the question I had was
Identify the SDG that aims to reduce under 5 mortality rate

(once I got out of the SAC I realised it was obviously SDG 3 Good Health and Wellbeing)

But silly me wrote SDG 2 Zero hunger and justified why
Would I still have lost marks for this ??

It's ultimately up to your teacher and how he/she decides to mark it. You probably won't get the marks for identifying the SDG, but you could potentially get consecutive marks for justifying. Again, depends on your teacher but either way, it's a good lesson for the exam :P

kaii

• Trailblazer
« Reply #648 on: August 04, 2017, 10:41:34 am »
+1
Any tips with revising for the SDGs?

Specifically, I was wondering if I would have to know all the description for each SDG word for word like :
SDG 8: Decent work and economic growth
Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all
Description
•   Annually increase GDP and economic growth in developing countries
•   Increase economic productivity through upgrading technology, promoting tourism, and building policies that support innovation, job creation, and growth of small businesses
•   Achieve full, productive and decent employment for all men and women
•   Increase proportion of youth employed or in education
•   Promote safe working environments for all
•   Eradicate slavery and child labour, and achieve equal pay for work of equal value
•   Increase access to financial services for all

or something simpler like Jess' slide notes from the July Atarnotes lecture
2016 - Biology
2017 - Chemistry | Methods | Psychology | English | HHD

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
« Reply #649 on: August 04, 2017, 11:01:05 am »
+5
You definitely don't need to memorise that word for word.  You just have to have a general thorough idea of what they each involve, and from there you can easily figure out how they impact GH/SHD.  Jess's slides are probably a great place to go from!
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

Ayane_Abdillahi

• Adventurer
  • School: minaret college
  • School Grad Year: 2018
« Reply #650 on: August 08, 2017, 08:12:56 pm »
Can some explain the structure of writing a sustainable human development question as well as a global health question

gemmaruffin

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +53
« Reply #651 on: August 10, 2017, 05:58:28 pm »
+7
Can some explain the structure of writing a sustainable human development question as well as a global health question

SUSTAINABLE HUMAN DEVELOPMENT
This is possibly your way to success! Seeing that it's the question given the highest mark in the exam (so far) you really need to get this one down pat.
Lets use the example of SDG 2 - Zero Hunger
Basically I would follow a formula, and after the example pretty much write the same thing every time, just manipulating it so it made sense -

Example[1] - this just has to be something taken out of the information you're given in the question.
Through the achievement of SDG 2, more people, especially children will have access to adequate and nutritious food.

Link to Health [1] Now you link to one of the aspects of health, I would usually do physical
This will improve the physical health of communities as adequate food will ensure sufficient energy to perform daily tasks and improve immunity to diseases such as measles and malaria.

Link to Human Development [2] Here, it is important that you have a short linking sentence that brings you to the human development. You'll need to include at least 2 aspects of HD too.
Children and adults will no longer be ill and have the energy to attend work and school. (This is the linking part and from memory (pls confirm) I think it gives you a mark?) This improves human development as it creates an environment where both adults and children can participate in the life of their communities. Children can also enhance their numeracy and literacy skills and adults through work can increase their access to a decent standard of living.

Link to a type of sustainability [1]
Here, talk about improving sustainability for the current generation.
The current generation are now able to earn an a decent income due to improvements in health and human development and can contribute taxes to their community to subsidise the cost of vaccinations. ( economic sustainability)

Back to Health or HD [1]
This part is up to you - depending on what you say for your example to lead you to what you say - just be careful and don't double dip, eg. if the question was about vaccinations, you don't want to link it back to the government subsiding vaccination because it's already happening!
This will improve the physical health of future generations as they will now have access to immunizations and will not suffer from illness such as measles.

GLOBAL HEALTH

This is also one of the more weighted questions! It follows a formula too.
Pretty much I would do example - global health, including a few health status terms (plus adding global or worldwide to each indicator). The last sentence to cover you is just a short thing about equity in health.

EG.
Identify a WHO leadership priority area and explain how it promotes global health. [3 marks]
One of the WHO leadership priority areas is ‘Increasing Access to Medical Products’. This area aims at working with countries, especially developing countries to increase access to affordable medicines and vaccinations. [1]This impacts on global health as if more people have access to immunisations against disease against measles, this means global morbidity and under 5mortality rates worldwide should decrease, increasing global life expectancy [1]. Improvements in global health ensures greater equity in health for all people worldwide. [1]

Hope this helped!
2016 - HHD (49)
2017 - Bio (41), Chem, Italian, English (43), Methods

Happy to help out with any HHD questions, and remember - there is life after VCE :)

Ayane_Abdillahi

• Adventurer
  • School: minaret college
  • School Grad Year: 2018
« Reply #652 on: August 10, 2017, 09:34:46 pm »
+1
Thank you son much it really helped

Maya24

• MOTM: OCT 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +114
« Reply #653 on: August 13, 2017, 01:46:30 pm »
When is the best time to start doing practice exams and how many?

Sunset.T

• Trailblazer
« Reply #654 on: August 13, 2017, 08:59:55 pm »
Okay sustainable human development questions are messing with me. I'm pretty sure I get it and stuff, it's easy to write the health and human development aspects of it, it's just the sustainability bit that's getting to me.

So first of all, in an exam if there was a question on sustainable human development, would it be the same old "how could achieving SDG __ lead to sustainable human development" or could the question be slightly different to that? So far in class we've only looked at that example question.

Anyway when I get to th sustainable part I always write something like "if these services are available for the current generation, then they'll likely be around for future generations who will also be encouraged to utilise those services" and I basically use that exact same thing for every SDG.

So for example, one of my answers to a sustainable development question was:
"achieving SDG #1, which has a focus on ensuring all people have access to appropriate social protection systems and financial services, could mean more people have the ability to afford adequate shelter, which would decrease the amount of health issues associated with poor shelter such as injuries, heatstroke and disease caused by pests. Because of this, people will have more time to go out and attend school to improve literacy and access to knowledge which could allow for ability to earn income. Further, if current generations can access financial services that can help with affording shelter, then these services are likely to be available to future generations who would be encouraged to utilise those services to ensure that they too are able to afford shelter and meet their own needs and prevent future generations from falling into the poverty cycle."

I feel like I messed it up.
The sample sustainable human development question that we did together as a class with the teacher was
"Sustainable development goal #3, good Health and wellbeing, has a focus on ensuring universal access to sexual and reproductive health care services. As all women would be able to access a skilled health professional during labour, less birth complications are likely to occur, preventing women from dying during childbirth. If less women are dying during childbirth, this means they are more likely to be able to lead long and healthy lives. Further, they will be able to care for their children. If women access healthcare services currently, then healthcare services will be available for future generations to access, ensuring sustainability and continued improvement in maternal mortality rates."

The underlined sections are what the teacher told us to underline as I believe they are each mark, so the first one is a Health mark, the second is Human development mark, the third is sustainability, and the fourth I believe is another health mark. But yeah because of that practice answer I have been writing all my sustainable human development answers to pretty much completely match the practice one we did. At the moment we are focusing only on SDG 1,2,3 & 5. And for these I'm wondering how I could talk about one of the 3 sustainability dimensions in my answers, it's seeming surprisingly difficult, I feel like there's an important factor that I'm missing that will get me back on the ball.

I'm fine with everything else in this study, global health is pretty easy to address, and most of the SDG's have fairly similar aspects to them which means for certain questions my answers would be similar regardless of which SDG it is (i think/hope) and now I'm just in the process of remembering key terms which is super easy. So I think I've got everything down pat apart from this bloody sustainable human development
2017: HHD [42]
2018: Biology, English, Further Maths, PE

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #655 on: August 14, 2017, 11:53:23 am »
+2
When is the best time to start doing practice exams and how many?

Whenever you feel ready, and however many you feel you need.

I don't know if this answer will be satisfying for you, but it's really hard to say like "in two weeks from now, and 14!"

It changes from person to person. There are several people on this forum who did extremely well in HHD (read: raw 50 study score) having completed two or fewer practice exams.

I also scored a 50, and probably did ~30 practice exams in full.

How confident are you feeling with the material at the moment? :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #656 on: August 14, 2017, 12:32:28 pm »
+2
Ya, I did one school-required prac exam, and had looked through the past VCAA exams through the year to get an idea of what each SAC could test.  That was it for me, except flicking through some company prac exams to check if there were any questions I had no idea how to do.

Okay sustainable human development questions are messing with me. I'm pretty sure I get it and stuff, it's easy to write the health and human development aspects of it, it's just the sustainability bit that's getting to me.

The easiest method in my opinion: link to education.  If someone is educated/literate, they are more likely to ensure their child is educated/have the income to send them to school/be able to teach their child/pass down knowledge, thus ensuring future generations have more health-related knowledge and income, which is social sustainability.  You can link most/all SDGs to education (let me know if you struggle with this at all), so if all else fails, go:

SDG --> improves education --> future generations more educated

If the question is about how a specific program promotes SHD, you can focus on how elements of that program are affordable/equitable/appropriate and thus sustainable, but this isn't easily possible with SDGs.

Maya24

• MOTM: OCT 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +114
« Reply #657 on: August 14, 2017, 06:02:21 pm »
+1
Whenever you feel ready, and however many you feel you need.

I don't know if this answer will be satisfying for you, but it's really hard to say like "in two weeks from now, and 14!"

It changes from person to person. There are several people on this forum who did extremely well in HHD (read: raw 50 study score) having completed two or fewer practice exams.

I also scored a 50, and probably did ~30 practice exams in full.

How confident are you feeling with the material at the moment? :)

I'm feeling okay with the content. Just have to brush up on a couple of things. I'm aiming for high 40s so I think  I might plan to do 30 to 40 practice exams.

Sunset.T

• Trailblazer
« Reply #658 on: August 15, 2017, 09:53:33 am »

The easiest method in my opinion: link to education.  If someone is educated/literate, they are more likely to ensure their child is educated/have the income to send them to school/be able to teach their child/pass down knowledge, thus ensuring future generations have more health-related knowledge and income, which is social sustainability.  You can link most/all SDGs to education (let me know if you struggle with this at all), so if all else fails, go:

SDG --> improves education --> future generations more educated

If the question is about how a specific program promotes SHD, you can focus on how elements of that program are affordable/equitable/appropriate and thus sustainable, but this isn't easily possible with SDGs.

Very helpful thank you. But also with the SDG's promoting global health I feel like I'm writing the exact same answer which is like "as the goal targets _____ this would mean less ____ and improved mortality and morbidity rates globally, which then decreases disparity between countries in regards to the gap in life expectancy and further promote equity in health for all people world wide."

Or something along those lines. Surely there's more to it. Every time I've practiced it for each of the 4 SDG's that we are currently focusing on my teacher marks it as completely correct but it's only worth 3 marks. I don't allocate myself marks I just try to write as much as possible and see how many marks my teacher thinks it's worth and it's always about three. How can I expand it and write it so it's worth more marks if I'm writing the same thing all the time and feel like it's covered everything? I have my SAC in 2 and a half hours from now so I'm cramming everything lmao
2017: HHD [42]
2018: Biology, English, Further Maths, PE

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #659 on: August 15, 2017, 10:08:08 am »
+3
Well basically... that IS all there is to it haha.  Some bits of HHD are just simple formulas like that, and you'll consistently get full marks for that. :) Just remember to make all your links (from the SDG to mortality, for instance) as clear as possible, and you'll be absolutely fine! :D