Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 22, 2024, 03:37:45 pm

Author Topic: Textbooks for Extension 2 Maths  (Read 4342 times)  Share 

aadharmg

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Textbooks for Extension 2 Maths
« on: October 04, 2017, 12:21:51 pm »
+1
I am going to be doing 4U Maths starting the coming term. I have a Cambridge textbook that my sister used when she did her HSC, but when I look through it I feel like where the questions may be useful, the explanations are a little vague. I was wondering what books are worth investing in to use with the Cambridge book so I can at least learn the concepts from other books and do the challenging questions of Cambridge.

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
  • Respect: +543
Re: Textbooks for Extension 2 Maths
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 12:26:29 pm »
+1
I am going to be doing 4U Maths starting the coming term. I have a Cambridge textbook that my sister used when she did her HSC, but when I look through it I feel like where the questions may be useful, the explanations are a little vague. I was wondering what books are worth investing in to use with the Cambridge book so I can at least learn the concepts from other books and do the challenging questions of Cambridge.

Hi there =)

Some good books that are worth investing include
 - Patel 4U - an old book here (if you can get your hand on it), but EXCELLENT explanations
- Terry Lee 4U - good explanations
- Coroneous 4U - harder q's
- Fitzpatrick 4U  - good explanations
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 12:31:03 pm by EEEEEEP »

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: Textbooks for Extension 2 Maths
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 01:07:12 pm »
+2
Unlike the 2/3U Cambridge textbooks, the 4U Cambridge textbook is written by Arnold and Arnold and are very outdated; pretty much reflecting what the 2/3U original Cambridge textbooks looked like. The textbook serves as a decent foundation but more often than not, the questions are polarised in difficulty (either too trivial or too unrealistically hard).

The new 4U Cambridge textbook never got published due to the whole debacle with the new syllabus. It's now regarded colloquially as the Sydney Grammar textbook and is the most superior of the lot (best reflecting the 2/3U Cambridge textbook quality), but it is hard to obtain as you have to order it via your school.

I used the very old Patel Foundations of 4U textbook (i.e. NOT the excel textbook) - it really left a mark because it had a whole bunch of other conics questions, but also a healthy stack of mechanics questions. Rest, just rely on what E6P said.