Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 05:26:31 pm

Author Topic: Does UoM have an MD/PhD program?  (Read 879 times)  Share 

TheBigC

Does UoM have an MD/PhD program?
« on: February 12, 2019, 05:37:37 am »
I am very interested in undertaking research concurrently to my MD, however not a few semesters of research (as I am already aware that UoM have integrated into their MD course), instead, I am referring to the concurrent completion of an entire PhD course. Is there an MD/PhD course at UoM that anybody is aware of?

Thanks.

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
Re: Does UoM have an MD/PhD program?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 08:02:59 am »
+1
I am very interested in undertaking research concurrently to my MD, however not a few semesters of research (as I am already aware that UoM have integrated into their MD course), instead, I am referring to the concurrent completion of an entire PhD course. Is there an MD/PhD course at UoM that anybody is aware of?

Thanks.

No.

You only do one semester of research. Completing an MD and a PhD alongside each other would be way too much work. Many doctors complete PhDs during their training or their early work as a consultant.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

TheBigC

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 08:38:05 am »
No.

You only do one semester of research. Completing an MD and a PhD alongside each other would be way too much work. Many doctors complete PhDs during their training or their early work as a consultant.

Fair enough. Thanks Vox. I just assumed that maybe unimelb might have a program analogous to US counterparts. i.e. where the foundational studies are had (I.e. first year med), then research, then clinical rotations.

Quantum44

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +313
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 10:37:26 am »
As Vox said, UoM does not have an MD-PhD pathway, however I believe UQ and Griffith do offer this, allowing you to do your two years of preclinical study and then taking two years off to start your PhD. It does come at a cost though, as you have to complete your PhD alongside your final two clinical years, which is a lot of work.
UAdel MBBS