Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 02:05:54 am

Author Topic: Circular function - arc length question  (Read 1207 times)  Share 

gta007

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • University of Melbourne Student
  • Respect: +6
Circular function - arc length question
« on: March 08, 2008, 01:41:58 pm »
Hi guys/gals.

Another question that has had me stumped for quite a while:

A curve on a light rail track is an arc of length 300m and the straight line joining the two ends of the curve is 270m long.

a) Show that, if the arc subtends an angle of 2Θ, at the centre of the circle, Θ is a solution of the equation sinΘ = πΘ/200

I know that the formula from the arc length formula, that the arc length = radius x angle, so from there I got the radius as 150/Θ.
I then drew a perpendicular line so that another side is 270/2 = 135, and having just the angle as Θ, however that got me no where.

BTW.....sorry that I've been asking so many questions of late, but I've been thinking about this question for a quite long time now.  :-[
2008 ENTER = 97.90

BCom @ UoM - I love you Melbourne!

Ahmad

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • *dreamy sigh*
  • Respect: +15
Mandark: Please, oh please, set me up on a date with that golden-haired angel who graces our undeserving school with her infinite beauty!

The collage of ideas. The music of reason. The poetry of thought. The canvas of logic.

gta007

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • University of Melbourne Student
  • Respect: +6
Re: Circular function - arc length question
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 01:47:57 pm »
LOL I was wasting all my time trying to figure out how to do the question, when I could've just looked on the forum.  ::)

Thanks for the heads up, Ahmad. Very quick response, too!  :)
2008 ENTER = 97.90

BCom @ UoM - I love you Melbourne!

Ahmad

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • *dreamy sigh*
  • Respect: +15
Re: Circular function - arc length question
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 01:51:24 pm »
No problem, it would've been pretty hard to find considering it was posted as an image :P
Mandark: Please, oh please, set me up on a date with that golden-haired angel who graces our undeserving school with her infinite beauty!

The collage of ideas. The music of reason. The poetry of thought. The canvas of logic.