Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 09:52:28 am

Author Topic: Composite functions question  (Read 1009 times)  Share 

f0od

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Composite functions question
« on: February 17, 2019, 08:24:57 pm »
I don't really understand the fogs & gofs of composite functions – in particular finding the range of a composite function

If anyone would be able to help with the questions below it would be much appreciated!

1) Given the functions f(x) = 1/x and g(x) = x^2 + 1, find the (domain) and range of f(g(x))
- So far I've gotten that the domain of this composite function is R/all real numbers

2) Given the functions f(x) = sin(x), x∈[0, 2pi] and g(x) = x^2 - 4, x∈[-2,2], find the domain and range of g(f(x))
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 08:27:30 pm by f0od »
class of 2019

S_R_K

• MOTM: Feb '21
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +58
Re: Composite functions question
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 09:43:54 pm »
+3
I don't really understand the fogs & gofs of composite functions – in particular finding the range of a composite function

If anyone would be able to help with the questions below it would be much appreciated!

1) Given the functions f(x) = 1/x and g(x) = x^2 + 1, find the (domain) and range of f(g(x))
- So far I've gotten that the domain of this composite function is R/all real numbers

2) Given the functions f(x) = sin(x), x∈[0, 2pi] and g(x) = x^2 - 4, x∈[-2,2], find the domain and range of g(f(x))

To find the range of a composite function f(g(x)):

1. Find the implied domain of f(g(x)). Call this set X.
2. Find the range of g(x) over X. Call this set Y.
3. Find the range of f(x) over Y. This gives the range of f(g(x)).

For example, let f(g(x)) = 1/(x^2+1).
1. The implied domain of f(g(x)) is R
2. The range of x^2 +.1 over R is [1, infinity)
3. The range of 1/x over [1, infinity) is (0, 1].

Hence, the range of 1/(x^2+1) over its implied domain is (0, 1].

A similar method works with your second example, sin^2(x) – 4.
1. The domain is [0, 2pi].
2. The range of sin(x) over R is [–1, 1]. (Notice this is a subset of [–2, 2], the domain of g(x) = x^2 – 4. If not, we'd have to restrict the domain of sin(x) so that its range is a subset of [–2, 2]. See 2017 Exam 1 Q7 for a question along these lines).
3. The range of x^2 – 4 over [–1, 1] is [–4, –3].

Hence, the range of sin^2(x) – 4 over [0, 2pi] is [–4, –3].

AlphaZero

• MOTM: DEC 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • \[\Gamma(z)\Gamma(1-z)=\frac{\pi}{\sin(\pi z)}\]
  • Respect: +160
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 09:45:41 pm »
+4

Question 1
\[f:\mathbb{R}\setminus\{0\}\to\mathbb{R},\ f(x)=\frac{1}{x}\quad\text{and}\quad g:\mathbb{R}\to\mathbb{R},\ g(x)=x^2+1\]Here,  \(\text{range}(g)=[1,\infty)\subseteq \text{domain}(f)=\mathbb{R}\setminus\{0\}\),  so  \(f(g(x))\) is defined.

As you already said,  \(\text{domain}(f\circ g)=\text{domain}(g)=\mathbb{R}\).

Let us just take a step back for a second and think about what we're actually doing here.

We plug in a real number \(x\) into \(g\) and the output is somewhere in \([1,\infty)\). This output of \(g\) then goes in as the input for \(f\).

Essentially:  \(\mathbb{R}\overset{g}{\longrightarrow}[1,\infty)\overset{f}{\longrightarrow}\text{range}(f\circ g)\).

In order words,  \(\text{range}(f\circ g)=\text{range}(f^*)\),  where \[f^*:[1,\infty)\to\mathbb{R},\ f^*(x)=\frac{1}{x}.\] A quick sketch of the graph of \(f^*\) shows that  \(\text{range}(f\circ g)=(0,1]\).

Question 2
This is the same sort of idea as Question 1. I'll start you off, and I'll leave it with you. \[f:[0,2\pi]\to\mathbb{R},\ f(x)=\sin(x)\quad \text{and}\quad g:[-2,2]\to\mathbb{R},\ g(x)=x^2-4.\] Clearly, \(\text{range}(f)=[-1,1]\subseteq \text{domain}(g)=[-2,2]\),  so  \(g(f(x))\)  is defined.

As before,  \(\text{domain}(g\circ f)=\text{domain}(f)=[0,2\pi]\).

In this case:  \([0,2\pi]\overset{f}{\longrightarrow}[-1,1]\overset{g}{\longrightarrow}\text{range}(g\circ f)\).

So, what's the range of \(g\circ f\) here?

Edit: S_R_K by milliseconds lol
2015\(-\)2017:  VCE
2018\(-\)2021:  Bachelor of Biomedicine and Mathematical Sciences Diploma, University of Melbourne

S_R_K

• MOTM: Feb '21
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +58
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 11:29:09 am »
I feel like i should delete my post in light of Dan's beautifully presented explanation.