Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 22, 2024, 01:40:21 pm

Author Topic: How do you integrate an image into Mod B response?  (Read 887 times)

BakerDad12

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
How do you integrate an image into Mod B response?
« on: August 17, 2020, 08:55:16 pm »
+1
Hey guys, I was going through a past paper for Module B which had an image, and then the question, and said to make 'direct reference to the image'. I've attached a screenshot below. I'm stumped on how to make reference to the image in my essay. Should I base my thesis around that sole image, or integrate it as evidence, or what? Does anyone have any advice?

Also, my trial Paper 2 is tomorrow so if anyone can respond before then that would be greatly appreciated.

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: How do you integrate an image into Mod B response?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 11:57:05 pm »
+2
Hey guys, I was going through a past paper for Module B which had an image, and then the question, and said to make 'direct reference to the image'. I've attached a screenshot below. I'm stumped on how to make reference to the image in my essay. Should I base my thesis around that sole image, or integrate it as evidence, or what? Does anyone have any advice?

Also, my trial Paper 2 is tomorrow so if anyone can respond before then that would be greatly appreciated.

Hey, BakerDad12!

Hopefully this isn't too late of a response! When you need to use an image in either Module A or B, it's to be used as textual evidence. They can't expect you to write an entire essay just using that one scene; that's why it says "make direct reference to the extract and your prescribed text" and not just "to the extract." With this example, you could analyse that image itself and/or refer to the scene it is taken from (if you can remember what happens in it specifically) to explore how conflict is captured from the employment of film features and conventions in your response. You might consider techniques such as the use of black and white filter, facial expressions, medium long shot and set design/props to justify how the image represents the division between characters visually and how they combine in effect for us to realise conflict as a timeless concern. I would recommend just analysing it in the first body paragraph so you can just get that requirement of having to discuss the provided extract out of the way quickly and you can warm yourself up to write the rest of the analysis  :)

As a side note, if you get an image for Module C, try to reference it throughout the creative, discursive, persuasive and/or informative piece you are writing. This is because your response needs to either incorporate it or be inspired from it so one brief mention technically fulfills the requirement but doesn't show that you engaged deeply enough with the prompt. You can do this by transforming the image into a motif/extended metaphor/symbol in your piece that guides the response. If the image has a bunch of concentric circles, for example, you might make circles a recurring feature in your use of visual imagery to describe a setting, as an extended metaphor for the monotony of urban life or as a symbol of rebellion which seeks to break out of a repeated pattern of injustice. Alternatively, you can create a broader conceptual link to the image. For example, an image of an egg timer presents a great pathway to write about the passage and fragility of time. What you ultimately need to remember to do is to make sure you justify how these creative choices are informed by the stimulus in your reflection  :)

Hope that helps and good luck for Paper 2 and the rest of your Trials!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

Einstein_Reborn_97

• MOTM: April 20
  • Forum Regular
  • There is no substitute for hard work.
  • Respect: +44
Re: How do you integrate an image into Mod B response?
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2020, 07:35:20 am »
+1
Angelina, you're an actual legend! Thank you for this!

Great question as well, BakerDad12! I would not have expected to see that.
HSC 2020: Advanced English | Advanced Mathematics | Physics | Chemistry | Biology | Studies of Religion 2

My HSC Journey Journal