Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 10:15:30 am

Author Topic: 3U Maths Question Thread  (Read 1240097 times)  Share 

Rabi

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: 3U Maths Question Thread
« Reply #3975 on: March 03, 2019, 12:05:15 pm »
Hey everyone I needed help with projectile question I tired them but couldn't get an answer to this question can you plz help. 11. The heights point of the trajectory of a body is 300m and the horizontal range is 5000m. Find the initial velocity and angle of projection.
12. A projectile reaches a max height of 100m above the point of projection at a horizontal distance of 250m from this point. Show that it was fired at an angle of elevation of approx 38*40* and calculate the max range for the same velocity of projection.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #3976 on: March 03, 2019, 05:23:06 pm »
+3
Hey everyone I needed help with projectile question I tired them but couldn't get an answer to this question can you plz help. 11. The heights point of the trajectory of a body is 300m and the horizontal range is 5000m. Find the initial velocity and angle of projection.
12. A projectile reaches a max height of 100m above the point of projection at a horizontal distance of 250m from this point. Show that it was fired at an angle of elevation of approx 38*40* and calculate the max range for the same velocity of projection.

Hey! The principle for both is pretty much the same, since the range is given in 11, and half the range is given in 12. So, at the peak of motion, vertical velocity is zero:

But this occurs at a height of 300 metres, so we can now go to displacement:

That's one equation. We also know that the horizontal range is 5000m, and this occurs at double the time of the maximum height. So we can say:

Substitute that first equation into the second:

From there you can solve for theta (the acute angle) and use that to find the velocity! The working is almost identical for 12! There might be a faster way, but this is how I first thought to approach it (also did this quick so there might be little numerical errors, I'm doing the numbers in my head) ;)

Rabi

• Adventurer
« Reply #3977 on: March 03, 2019, 05:54:59 pm »
+1
Ohhh ok cool tnx

Rabi

• Adventurer
« Reply #3978 on: March 04, 2019, 07:47:01 am »
Can someone please help and show me how to do this question I am not getting the answer to question 9 and 10. I don't know how to find velocity. Pls help.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #3979 on: March 04, 2019, 08:23:20 am »
+1
Can someone please help and show me how to do this question I am not getting the answer to question 9 and 10. I don't know how to find velocity. Pls help.

Hey! The method for Q9 is exactly the same as I showed you above, try and copy it over! ;D

As for Q10, a little different, but similar. At the highest point, the vertical velocity is zero, which means that the horizontal velocity is equal to 10 metres per second at that point. However, horizontal velocity is constant, so this immediately gives us a formula linking velocity and the angle

We can also use the formula we derived above, obtained by setting the vertical velocity to zero;

Now we also know it is 8 metres above the ground at this point, so (again, similar to above):

Sub that back in to find the angle! ;D

spnmox

• Trendsetter
« Reply #3980 on: March 04, 2019, 08:11:26 pm »
Hi, I'm having trouble with this inequality question:
Prove that, if a,b,c and d are any four positive numbers, then ab+cd <= sqr((a^2+c^2)(b^2+d^2))
 I worked backwards and got that (a^2+c^2)(b^2+d^2) >=4abcd, and I need to prove that (ab+cd)^2<=4abcd. I don't know how to manipulate the LHS to do that, and also is this the right method?

Also, just generally: what's the best way to approach these kinds of inequality questions?
What are some useful inequality identities to know eg. a^2+b^2>=2ab or are you expected to derive them from the beginning?

I really appreciate you answering my questions!

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #3981 on: March 04, 2019, 08:13:40 pm »
Hi, I'm having trouble with this inequality question:
Prove that, if a,b,c and d are any four positive numbers, then ab+cd <= sqr((a^2+c^2)(b^2+d^2))
 I worked backwards and got that (a^2+c^2)(b^2+d^2) >=4abcd, and I need to prove that (ab+cd)^2<=4abcd. I don't know how to manipulate the LHS to do that, and also is this the right method?

Also, just generally: what's the best way to approach these kinds of inequality questions?
What are some useful inequality identities to know eg. a^2+b^2>=2ab or are you expected to derive them from the beginning?

I really appreciate you answering my questions!
These questions are not a part of the 3U course; they form the harder 3U section of the 4U syllabus. Please post them there if you require assistance.

Jamon Edit: Here is the link! :)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 08:17:50 pm by jamonwindeyer »

spnmox

• Trendsetter
« Reply #3982 on: March 04, 2019, 10:12:24 pm »
These questions are not a part of the 3U course; they form the harder 3U section of the 4U syllabus. Please post them there if you require assistance.

Jamon Edit: Here is the link! :)

Oh, oops. Thanks for the clarification!

Rabi

• Adventurer
« Reply #3983 on: March 04, 2019, 11:28:12 pm »
Thank you so much but I have used the same process but I am not getting the answer for both questions!!!!!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #3984 on: March 05, 2019, 07:55:59 am »
Thank you so much but I have used the same process but I am not getting the answer for both questions!!!!!

As in you are getting the incorrect answer? Or were you having trouble applying the method?

If incorrect answer, pop a picture of your working up if you can! We'll probably be able to spot the issue ;D

If having trouble, let us know whereabouts you get stuck! :)

annabeljxde

• Forum Regular
  • 𝗷𝘂𝘀𝘁 𝗼𝗻𝗲 𝗹𝗮𝘇𝘆 𝗲𝗴𝗴
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #3985 on: March 10, 2019, 02:08:09 pm »
Hey everyone. The last couple of questions for 3U trig in my textbook is getting really challenging and I was hoping if I could get help on these questions.

There's quite a lot so I'll separate them into 3 different posts. (I hope its not too much,, :') )

Thank you so much!

QUESTION 7: I can't seem to get the correct answer. The answer is 1/24(16-9√3)
HSC 2018: Studies of Religion 1
HSC 2019: English Advanced | Biology | Chemistry | Mathematics | Mathematics Ext.1

my hsc studygram: @orenji.study

annabeljxde

• Forum Regular
  • 𝗷𝘂𝘀𝘁 𝗼𝗻𝗲 𝗹𝗮𝘇𝘆 𝗲𝗴𝗴
« Reply #3986 on: March 10, 2019, 02:15:05 pm »
QUESTION 9e)

I tried using a u-substitution method that Symolab used but I still didn't get the correct answer.

Answer is 1/4(1/3sin3θ + 3sinθ) + C
HSC 2019: English Advanced | Biology | Chemistry | Mathematics | Mathematics Ext.1

annabeljxde

• Forum Regular
  • 𝗷𝘂𝘀𝘁 𝗼𝗻𝗲 𝗹𝗮𝘇𝘆 𝗲𝗴𝗴
« Reply #3987 on: March 10, 2019, 02:18:31 pm »
QUESTION 10b)

I squared the equation I got in part a) but I didn't get the right answer...

Answer is π/4(2-√3)units^3

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #3988 on: March 10, 2019, 02:26:25 pm »
Hey everyone. The last couple of questions for 3U trig in my textbook is getting really challenging and I was hoping if I could get help on these questions.

There's quite a lot so I'll separate them into 3 different posts. (I hope its not too much,, :') )

Thank you so much!

QUESTION 7: I can't seem to get the correct answer. The answer is 1/24(16-9√3)

I'll take this and the next one! The expression from (a) is:

So your integral becomes:

Substitute and solve!

For your next one, your answer is correct but written in a different form I believe! If you substitute the expression I have for \(\sin^3{x}\) from above, then you should get a match with theirs! ;D

fun_jirachi

• MOTM: AUG 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • All doom and Gloom.
  • Respect: +710
« Reply #3989 on: March 11, 2019, 07:14:26 pm »
QUESTION 10b)

I squared the equation I got in part a) but I didn't get the right answer...

Answer is π/4(2-√3)units^3

Jamon took the above two I believe? So I'll take this one :P

When you're dealing with volumes, in your first line I can already see you've made a mistake loads of people make. The key thing here is that you need to take top curve squared minus bottom curve squared, not top curve minus bottom curve all squared.

What you've done is great, you've just started with the wrong integral!

Hope this helps :)
Spoiler
HSC 2018: Mod Hist [88] | 2U Maths [98]
HSC 2019: Physics [92] | Chemistry [93] | English Adv [87] | 3U Maths [98] | 4U Maths [97]
ATAR: 99.05

UCAT: 3310 - VR [740] | DM [890] | QR [880] | AR [800]
Guide Links:
Subject Acceleration (2018)
UCAT Question Compilation/FAQ (2020)
Asking good questions