Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 18, 2024, 08:56:07 am

Author Topic: HSC Physics Question Thread  (Read 1042727 times)  Share 

S200

• Part of the furniture
  • Yeah well that happened...
  • Respect: +244
Re: HSC Physics Question Thread
« Reply #3480 on: August 30, 2018, 05:23:09 am »
Hi guys, could someone please help me in getting a basic understanding with examples of rotational and transitional velocity - Astrophysics.

Thankyoou!

Although this is more down to earth than astrophysics, this YouTube video does explain the concept of concurrent translational and rotational velocity...
Hope it helps

Carpe Vinum

\(\LaTeX\) - \(e^{\pi i }\)
#ThanksRui! - #Rui\(^2\) - #Jamon10000

5233718311 :D

dermite

• Trendsetter
  • You are just like everyone else, unique.
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #3481 on: August 31, 2018, 04:54:56 pm »
Hi there, i need some help with this question:
While drilling into a tough material, the DC motor in an electric drill is slowed significantly. This causes its coils to overheat. Explain why this occurs with reference to physics principles (4mks)

thanks in adv!
HSC 2018
English Advanced  
Maths Extension 1
Physics
Chemistry
Information Processes and Technology
Goal : 93 ATAR

S200

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #3482 on: August 31, 2018, 10:58:49 pm »
While drilling into a tough material, the DC motor in an electric drill is slowed significantly. This causes its coils to overheat. Explain why this occurs with reference to physics principles (4mks)

thanks in adv!
Hmmm.
Well the motor would be under stress, and going slower. If its slower, would that mean that the slip rings are in contact longer and the current causes the overheating?
Carpe Vinum

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #3483 on: September 01, 2018, 12:07:44 am »
+2

thanks in adv!

Hey! To extend on above, it is back emf. In regular operation, back emf acts against the supply current to reduce the current flowing in the coils of the motor. We design motors expecting this reduced current flow. When we force the motor to slow down, we reduce the amount of back emf, since the coil experiences a lower rate of change of magnetic flux. This increases the current in the coils beyond what was designed to be tolerable for extended periods, causing the coils to overheat! ;D

Key principles to mention in your answer would be induction and back emf :)

clovvy

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #3484 on: September 05, 2018, 03:43:05 pm »
Hey, I have something that has bugged me for a while regarding the solutions for the physics topic test gravity test 2 q8 solution... I am not getting the results provided in the solution when I plug them in my calculator so I am suspiscious that there may be an error made.... Finding Ep was fine, but when finding the velocity where it became an issue....
2018 HSC: 4U maths, 3U maths, Standard English, Chemistry, Physics

blasonduo

• Forum Obsessive
  • Schrodinger waved while Heisenberg didn't?
  • Respect: +356
« Reply #3485 on: September 05, 2018, 06:59:43 pm »
Hey, I have something that has bugged me for a while regarding the solutions for the physics topic test gravity test 2 q8 solution... I am not getting the results provided in the solution when I plug them in my calculator so I am suspiscious that there may be an error made.... Finding Ep was fine, but when finding the velocity where it became an issue....

Hey Hey! I just did the calculations, and they worked for me, may I see your working so I can see the problem? :))

An important note here though is how to define potential energy, especially as if you should make the surface of the earth as 0, or the centre of the earth as 0. This tripped me up a tonne, but the primary rule of thumb that occurred to me was that if they say radius, they refer to the centre of the earth. If they say altitude, they refer to the surface :)) Nonetheless, this question is looking out for the change in potential energy. Maybe this will help in your new calculations :))
2018: UNSW B science (physics)/B education

Kicking myself into gear

HSC Physics Topics 1 & 2 Exam!

clovvy

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #3486 on: September 07, 2018, 04:38:47 pm »
Hey Hey! I just did the calculations, and they worked for me, may I see your working so I can see the problem? :))

An important note here though is how to define potential energy, especially as if you should make the surface of the earth as 0, or the centre of the earth as 0. This tripped me up a tonne, but the primary rule of thumb that occurred to me was that if they say radius, they refer to the centre of the earth. If they say altitude, they refer to the surface :)) Nonetheless, this question is looking out for the change in potential energy. Maybe this will help in your new calculations :))
Unfortunately I was unable to get around that so I gave up..

My next question is "assess the effectiveness of solid state devices compared to their termionic equivalence"... This question did not have an answer provided to me, and instinct alone tell me to list the advantages of solid states instead..  How should I answer this question (this is also from Jamon's physics topic test)..

radnan11

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3487 on: September 09, 2018, 10:22:19 pm »
this question is doing my head in, keep on getting it wrong

S200

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #3488 on: September 09, 2018, 10:24:43 pm »
+1
Isn't it just the right hand slap rule, so force is straight down up?

And for Magnitude, shouldn't it just be that \(F=nBiL\)?

So \(20\times 0.005 \times 0.025 \times 0.15\)? So \(\therefore \quad F=0.0375\) upwards??

The angle should only affect the flux produced right?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 01:57:36 pm by S200 »
Carpe Vinum

Fergus6748

• Trendsetter
  • Never let your memories be greater than your dream
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #3489 on: September 10, 2018, 12:29:04 pm »
+2
Isn't it just the right hand slap rule, so force is straight down up?

And for Magnitude, shouldn't it just be that \(F=nBiL\)?

So \(20\times 0.005 \times 0.025 \times 15\)? So \(\therefore \quad F=0.0375\) upwards??

The angle should only affect the flux produced right?
That's what I got as well. Except the distance is in metres for SI units. So:
15cm = 0.15m
Hsc: Advanced English || Maths Extension 1 || Mathematics || Economics || Chemistry || Physics

iimooncabbageii

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #3490 on: September 12, 2018, 09:18:05 pm »
Hi, bit confused with this question.
Why is the answer A? Wouldn't the bright spot move sideways?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #3491 on: September 12, 2018, 10:44:48 pm »
+2
Hi, bit confused with this question.
Why is the answer A? Wouldn't the bright spot move sideways?

Hey there!! Not quite - We have to remember we are talking about a magnetic field not an electric field! For those we use the right hand slap rule, or a similar rule.

Magnetic field to the left of the page, charges moving out of the page. So, fingers to the left of the page, thumb pointed out of the page - This points our palm downwards. However, electrons are negative charges, so we flip our answer - The electrons will experience a force upwards towards A :)

clovvy

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #3492 on: September 15, 2018, 11:32:00 pm »
Hey, now that I am paying close attention to Jake's lecture slide, he mentioned that the BCS theory is wrong so I decided to google it and I still don't quite understand... can anyone explain?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #3493 on: September 15, 2018, 11:48:39 pm »
+1
Hey, now that I am paying close attention to Jake's lecture slide, he mentioned that the BCS theory is wrong so I decided to google it and I still don't quite understand... can anyone explain?

You don't need to! The BCS theory is what you learn in this course - With contemporary knowledge, we know it doesn't fully explain superconductivity, but that isn't something you need to worry about. For HSC Physics, treat it as gospel ;D

Jane20

• Adventurer
« Reply #3494 on: September 21, 2018, 07:55:42 am »
Hi guys
How can I explain the Meissner effect? I read different sources and they all say different things, induced current, exclusion of magnetic field. I dont know what should I write in the exam?
Thank you !!