Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 21, 2024, 02:40:31 pm

Author Topic: HSC Physics Question Thread  (Read 1043194 times)  Share 

Happy Physics Land

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • Forum Obsessive
  • MAXIMISE your marks by MINIMISING your errors
  • Respect: +38
Re: Physics Question Thread
« Reply #180 on: March 25, 2016, 01:11:25 pm »
I like that! Cool idea! Never even considered it that way. For anyone looking at this, HPL means:

Now this is a different solution than I got, but I realised I made a mistake calculating the component of weight force. Just the numbers were wrong. The actual answer I got was:

So, I would say we are in agreement! Both methods work very nicely! The difference is probably rounding errors, I rounded harshly when I calculated acceleration and such last night  ;)

Great thinking HPL! I would never have thought to do it that way  ;D

Wait Jamon do you mean mgsin(15) + ma??? But yeah thanks for approving my solution!!! It's always good to receive approval from you!  :D
Mathematics: 96
Maths Extension 2: 93
Maths Extension 1: 97
English Advanced: 92
Physics: 95
Chemistry: 92
Engineering Studies: 90
Studies of Religion I: 98

2017 ATAR: 99.70
University of Sydney Civil Engineering and Commerce
University of Sydney Faculty of Civil Engineering Scholar
Student Representatives Council Student Housing Officer
City of Sydney Council Sydney Ambassador
University of Sydney Business School Student Mentor
Entrepreneur, Company of Year Junior Achievements Australia

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #181 on: March 25, 2016, 01:59:25 pm »
Wait Jamon do you mean mgsin(15) + ma??? But yeah thanks for approving my solution!!! It's always good to receive approval from you!  :D

Actually no! If you consider the weight force versus the braking force, they are actually acting in opposite directions! Hence, subtraction. It is probably a little easier to see with a diagram, and in the following form  ;D

« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 02:01:11 pm by jamonwindeyer »

Happy Physics Land

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #182 on: March 25, 2016, 03:59:24 pm »
Actually no! If you consider the weight force versus the braking force, they are actually acting in opposite directions! Hence, subtraction. It is probably a little easier to see with a diagram, and in the following form  ;D

AH YES! i SEE I SEE!!! Everything's clear now! Thanks Jamon! :) Honestly they just shove so much hard mechanics questions in past papers but even then engineering still has such a low scaling :3

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #183 on: March 25, 2016, 11:54:32 pm »
+1
AH YES! i SEE I SEE!!! Everything's clear now! Thanks Jamon! :) Honestly they just shove so much hard mechanics questions in past papers but even then engineering still has such a low scaling :3

Really? I've always been of the thinking that Engineering scaled pretty well!

It's a foreign concept for me, my school has never run Engineering Studies, I didn't even know the subject existed until about halfway through Year 11!  :o

Happy Physics Land

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #184 on: March 25, 2016, 11:55:12 pm »
+1
Really? I've always been of the thinking that Engineering scaled pretty well!

It's a foreign concept for me, my school has never run Engineering Studies, I didn't even know the subject existed until about halfway through Year 11!  :o

You can always repeat year 11 you know?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #185 on: March 26, 2016, 12:02:17 am »
+1
You can always repeat year 11 you know?

Hmm, it is tempting, there are times sitting in some of my lectures that I do miss the preliminary content, that's for sure. But I'll have to pass for now  ;)

Neutron

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #186 on: March 26, 2016, 10:30:10 am »
Hello, it's me

I was wondering if you guys could explain how to determine which time is the dilated time and which time is the proper time (Einstein's special theory of relativity) when given questions TT^TT So for like this one:

"A spaceship travelling through space experiences a 90% time dilation. How fast is it travelling?"

I thought the dilated time was 0.9 and proper time was 2, but then you'd eventually have to square root a negative so that doesn't work out :/

And for this one

"The high-speed muons produced for an experiment by the Fermilab accelerator are measured to have a lifetime of 5.0 microseconds. When these muons are brought to rest, their lifetime is measured to be 2.2 microseconds"

I thought you could look from the perspective of the muon (since relative motion, doesn't matter whether you look from muon or lab) so you'd have proper time to 5 microseconds and dilated time to be 2.2 but apparently not :/ that too gives you a square root of a negative number. But the other way doesn't make sense to me, if proper time is 2.2 seconds and dilated time is 5 seconds, won't that mean in 2.2 seconds, 5 seconds passed for the muon? Meaning each second is faster idk

So basically I was wondering how you tell which one is proper and which one is dilated :'(

Love y'all,
Neutron

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #187 on: March 26, 2016, 03:52:31 pm »
Hello, it's me

I was wondering if after all these years you'd like to meet  ;)

I was wondering if you guys could explain how to determine which time is the dilated time and which time is the proper time (Einstein's special theory of relativity) when given questions TT^TT So for like this one:

"A spaceship travelling through space experiences a 90% time dilation. How fast is it travelling?"

I thought the dilated time was 0.9 and proper time was 2, but then you'd eventually have to square root a negative so that doesn't work out :/

And for this one

"The high-speed muons produced for an experiment by the Fermilab accelerator are measured to have a lifetime of 5.0 microseconds. When these muons are brought to rest, their lifetime is measured to be 2.2 microseconds"

I thought you could look from the perspective of the muon (since relative motion, doesn't matter whether you look from muon or lab) so you'd have proper time to 5 microseconds and dilated time to be 2.2 but apparently not :/ that too gives you a square root of a negative number. But the other way doesn't make sense to me, if proper time is 2.2 seconds and dilated time is 5 seconds, won't that mean in 2.2 seconds, 5 seconds passed for the muon? Meaning each second is faster idk

So basically I was wondering how you tell which one is proper and which one is dilated :'(

Love y'all,
Neutron

Hey Neutron! This confused the heck out of me in Year 12 as well! I'll start by explaining the two examples you provided, then give you the trick to make sure you have everything in the right direction  ;D

So, your first example. I would interpret "90% time dilation" as time passes by at 10% of the normal rate. That is, the dilated time is 10 times greater than the undiluted time. A spaceship travelling extremely quickly will have time pass by much slower, as measured from earth. I could be misinterpreting slightly, but in any case, we have some kind of effect on time passage.

Remembering our time dilation formula, I'll refer to the time term on the LHS as dilated time, and the RHS as unaffected time.

In this case, the dilated time is 10 times greater than the actual, unaffected time. Therefore:

This one is a little hard to understand, the next one is a bit easier.

In your second example, 5.0 microseconds is the dilated time. This is what we measure when the particle is at speed. It moving affects our time measurements. Then, the 2.2 microseconds is the unaffected time. Your statement about "if proper time is 2.2 seconds and dilated time is 5 seconds, won't that mean in 2.2 seconds, 5 seconds passed for the muon", is correct! What the muon would experience in 5 seconds only takes us 2.2 seconds to experience. The issue with your approach is that the time measurements are made from the earths frame of reference, not the muons. So you have to go from the earth as unaffected time. That is what had you a bit backwards.

If you are at all confused, your check is simple. Dilated time must ALWAYS be larger than unaffected time. Time dilation causes time to pass by slower, so, the dilated time difference is larger. This is an easy way to check your reasoning against the question.

I hope this helps! This whole thing is a little confusing, your dilated time represents the time as measured by a stationary observer. It will thus always be larger  ;D

Loki98

• Adventurer
  • School: mfhs
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #188 on: March 26, 2016, 10:50:01 pm »
Need help with this question,
Astronauts on a long space journey are playing golf inside their spaceship, which is travelling away from the Earth with speed 0.6c. One of the astronauts hits a drive exactly along the length of the spaceship (in its direction of travel) at speed 0.1c in the frame of the spaceship. What is the speed of the golf ball as observed from Earth?

« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 11:02:33 pm by Loki98 »

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #189 on: March 26, 2016, 11:19:11 pm »
Need help with this question,
Astronauts on a long space journey are playing golf inside their spaceship, which is travelling away from the Earth with speed 0.6c. One of the astronauts hits a drive exactly along the length of the spaceship (in its direction of travel) at speed 0.1c in the frame of the spaceship. What is the speed of the golf ball as observed from Earth?

Hey Loki!

I'm not sure whether you can get a question like this in the HSC, as it uses the relativistic addition of velocities (Lorentz transformations) which falls outside of the course. Are you working through special relativity from another state? The required formula is

Subbing in u' as 0.1c and v as 0.6c, you get the required answer of 0.66c!

Hope this helps :)

Jake
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

Happy Physics Land

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #190 on: March 26, 2016, 11:25:14 pm »
Hey Loki!

I'm not sure whether you can get a question like this in the HSC, as it uses the relativistic addition of velocities (Lorentz transformations) which falls outside of the course. Are you working through special relativity from another state? The required formula is

Subbing in u' as 0.1c and v as 0.6c, you get the required answer of 0.66c!

Hope this helps :)

Jake

That was actually what I was thinking too, I remember seeing the question from a james ruse paper a while ago. I agree that the only way to solve it is probably via relativistic addition of velocities. The only other way I can think of using hsc methods is probably to work out a contracted length and a dilated time and then use the contracted length to divide by the dilated time to obtain a resultant velocity? I havent exactly experimented with it and I think its better to stick with relativistic addition...

Maz

• West Australian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #191 on: March 27, 2016, 12:54:19 pm »
hey
i was wandering if someone could please explain the difference between the strong force and the strong nuclear force?
thakyou so much :)
2016: Methods | Chem | Physics | Accounting | Literature

ATWalk

• Adventurer
« Reply #192 on: March 27, 2016, 03:03:27 pm »
Hi,

I'm having trouble with this question on forces during a rocket launch because I basically had to teach this part of the syllabus to myself. The question is: A 20 000 kg rocket exhausts gases at a constant 700kg per second at 300m/s. (a) Calculate the momentum of the exhaust gases.

Do I just substitute 700kg and 300m/s into p=mv? Or have I overlooked/misunderstood something?

Thank you in advance for the help. I really appreciate it.

Happy Physics Land

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #193 on: March 27, 2016, 04:11:30 pm »
hey
i was wandering if someone could please explain the difference between the strong force and the strong nuclear force?
thakyou so much :)

Hey mq123!

Ok Im not too familiar with your syllabus, so I will just explain my perception of these two concepts. Strong force can be defined in two ways. One way to describe it is a push, pull or twist that exceeds or nearly exceeds the limit which a body/object can undertake. In quantum and quarks, strong force binds quarks together in clusters to make more-familiar subatomic particles, such as protons and neutrons. It also holds together the atomic nucleus and is essential to interactions between all particles containing quarks. Strong nuclear force is a strong interaction between the quarks that make up protons and neutrons.

Hope it helped! :)

Best Regards
Happy Physics Land

Happy Physics Land

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #194 on: March 27, 2016, 04:17:41 pm »
+1
Hi,

I'm having trouble with this question on forces during a rocket launch because I basically had to teach this part of the syllabus to myself. The question is: A 20 000 kg rocket exhausts gases at a constant 700kg per second at 300m/s. (a) Calculate the momentum of the exhaust gases.

Do I just substitute 700kg and 300m/s into p=mv? Or have I overlooked/misunderstood something?

Thank you in advance for the help. I really appreciate it.

Hey ATWalk!

I think what makes this question hard is that they expressed the mass of the gas as a rate, not simply 700kg. Personally I would say you can just sub in 700kg and 300m/s into p = mv. What I found interesting is, if you times 700kg/s by 300m/s, you actually get a value in kgms-2, which is the unit for force! For now I agree with your solution, but if Jake or Jamon happens to come around later on, they can probably correct me if l happen to be wrong.

Best Regards
Happy Physics Land