Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 20, 2024, 07:06:44 pm

Author Topic: HSC Physics Question Thread  (Read 1043062 times)  Share 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Physics Question Thread
« Reply #1530 on: December 09, 2016, 03:13:13 pm »
Question 9 on this sheet.

Yeah I think there might be a piece of information missing! You can tell because the question right below it gives the same information, plus one bit extra. I don't think the information given in Question 9 is enough :P could just be a 'faulty' question? :)

Aaron12038488

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #1531 on: December 16, 2016, 02:22:36 pm »
I just finished year 10 and going to Year 11 next year
Is it good to start on the syllabus now for physics
Thanks,

Also, The first dot point which is Describe the energy transformations required in a mobile phone, is this satisfactory.
Spoiler
Sound Waves (voice) converted into electrical signals via microphone. Digitised (binary code) is transmitted as radio waves to base station. Each base station is connected to switching centre by an optic fibre network that carries signal as electrical impulses- produced by radio wave energy interacting with aerial. Switching centres are connected to other switching centres and base stations.
Sound Energy → Electrical Signals → Transmitted as Radio Waves → Light Energy → Sound Energy
Call between mobile and landline at the base station – signal is converted to light and will travel along an optic fibre network to distant to switching centre. Call between centre will be transformed to another switching centre close to a base station near the receiving mobile. The signal is then fed to the base station as an electrical signal and is broadcast as radio waves. In the mobile, radio waves are converted to electrical impulses which is then converted to sound from the speakers.

Call between mobile and landline at the base station – signal is converted to light and will travel along an optic fibre network to distant to switching centre. Call between centre will be transformed to another switching centre close to a base station near the receiving mobile. The signal is then fed to the base station as an electrical signal and is broadcast as radio waves. In the mobile, radio waves are converted to electrical impulses which is then converted to sound from the speakers.

I've started the Physics Prelim Syllabus as my yearly report for science was very dismal. As I'm doing Physics, Chem and Bio, I'm really anxious in how I will perform in Year 11 and 12. Thoughts??

Mod Edit: Merged posts and added spoiler. You can use the 'Modify' button on the top right to add to your post to avoid posting twice in a row ;D
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 02:28:41 pm by jamonwindeyer »

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1532 on: December 16, 2016, 02:31:40 pm »
+2
Hey Aaron! Welcome to the forums  8)

Personally, I'd just chill out these holidays. You can do a bit of light reading if you like of course, but the Year 11 content doesn't impact your HSC, and it is important to have a break before the hard work begins. I admire your drive, but you can probably reign it in a bit, there is definitely no need to start Year 11 content this early :)

In saying that, seems like you have a great understanding of the first dot point!!

Don't stress about your Year 10 Science results; HSC science is completely different. New skills, new start. If you work really hard then there is no reason for any of that to be reflected in your senior studies! ;D

bluecookie

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #1533 on: December 17, 2016, 02:39:58 pm »
What does the 'position' in a position time graph mean? Is it the distance or displacement or something else?

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #1534 on: December 17, 2016, 02:43:44 pm »
+1
What does the 'position' in a position time graph mean? Is it the distance or displacement or something else?
In physics, position is just another word for displacement.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1535 on: December 17, 2016, 03:07:34 pm »

Welcome to the forums bluecookie! ;D let me know if you need a hand finding things :)

bluecookie

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1536 on: December 17, 2016, 03:19:42 pm »
In physics, position is just another word for displacement.
Thank you! 

Welcome to the forums bluecookie! ;D let me know if you need a hand finding things :)

Mod Edit: Merged posts. You can use the 'Insert Quote' button below your typing window to add quotes from multiple users ;D
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 04:43:01 pm by jamonwindeyer »

bluecookie

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1537 on: December 18, 2016, 07:03:14 pm »
What does the area under a displacement velocity graph represent?

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1538 on: December 18, 2016, 07:15:11 pm »
+1
What does the area under a displacement velocity graph represent?
Check what you said. This is not in the HSC physics course. All graphs are something-time graphs.

Note, however, the area under a velocity-time graph represents the displacement travelled over that period of time.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 07:23:28 pm by RuiAce »

bluecookie

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1539 on: December 18, 2016, 09:16:08 pm »
Check what you said. This is not in the HSC physics course. All graphs are something-time graphs.

Note, however, the area under a velocity-time graph represents the displacement travelled over that period of time.

Sorry, I meant displacement time graph.

Jakeybaby

• Trendsetter
  • Grad Year: 2016
  • Respect: +23
« Reply #1540 on: December 18, 2016, 09:29:26 pm »
+1
I can't see that value having any important physical meaning, nor can I see it being tested at HSC level. I imagine it is just what you said, the area under a displacementp-time graph, nothing more, nothing less.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 09:32:52 pm by Jakeybaby »
2016 ATAR: 98.60

2020: Bachelor of Finance @ University of Adelaide

Recipient of the 2017 University of Adelaide Principals' Scholarship

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1541 on: December 18, 2016, 09:31:19 pm »
+1
Precisely as mentioned above. It is of no use whatsoever.

(Mathematically, integrating the displacement tells us nothing useful)

It's just like how the slope of the acceleration-time graph is of no use (in the HSC course that is; in the real world of physics it's called jerk)

Aaron12038488

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1542 on: December 22, 2016, 10:40:00 am »
I was wondering how you make notes. I want to get in the habit of making notes sooner so I get the general jist and will be fine when exams come up.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1543 on: December 22, 2016, 10:46:16 am »
I was wondering how you make notes. I want to get in the habit of making notes sooner so I get the general jist and will be fine when exams come up.

Hey Aaron! There are all sorts of good things to do, but the main thing I'd recommend is to make sure they are completely based off the syllabus dot points. That will make sure that you don't miss anything. I also, personally, think it is better to write your notes progressively as you learn the content, not in big chunks ;D

Besides that, this article might be worth a read ;D

Aaron12038488

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1544 on: December 22, 2016, 10:49:30 am »
Thanks for the rapid reply. Also for Year 11, will all the tests and Pracs be based on the Syllabus Dot Points?