Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 20, 2024, 11:56:26 pm

Author Topic: HSC Physics Question Thread  (Read 1043107 times)  Share 

kiwiberry

• HSC LECTURER
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +97
Re: Physics Question Thread
« Reply #1755 on: February 11, 2017, 11:14:30 pm »
Hey, could I get some help with the following:

If a 10kg mass were to be released from 1000km above the surface of Earth, initially being stationary, determine its velocity just before it hits the surface of the Earth.

I'm not sure, but I think you can use \(a=\frac{GM}{r^{2}}\) to find acceleration, and then sub into \(v^{2}=u^{2}+2as\) to find v!
HSC 2017: English Adv (93) | Maths Ext 1 (99) | Maths Ext 2 (97) | Chemistry (95) | Physics (95)
ATAR: 99.85

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #1756 on: February 11, 2017, 11:55:19 pm »
+1
I'm not sure, but I think you can use \(a=\frac{GM}{r^{2}}\) to find acceleration, and then sub into \(v^{2}=u^{2}+2as\) to find v!

I think that's the general idea! But, the acceleration at 1000km above the surface is different to the acceleration at the surface. Indeed, it changes slightly the whole way down. To do it super accurately, you'd actually need a more complete formula that took that into account those changes (I think there'd be Calculus involved) :P

In this case, we can use the reasonable estimate that the acceleration is just a uniform \(g=9.8ms^{-2}\) the whole way through the drop. At an altitude of 1000km, that's a reasonable estimate. Then you just pop that value for acceleration into \(v^2=u^2+2as\) ;D

As a side note, we didn't get earths radius, so that's a clue we can't use \(a=\frac{GM}{r^2}\), even though it is really tempting! ;D

beau77bro

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #1757 on: February 12, 2017, 06:33:42 pm »
Why does special relativity apply to inertial frames of reference? What does acceleration do to affect the theory? Speed of light is constant I assume still holds? But does it ahhahaha? Please feel free to drop bombs on me but I don't think I could hack like a Uni level paper explaining hahaha basics I'm dumb lmao

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #1758 on: February 12, 2017, 08:57:24 pm »
Why does special relativity apply to inertial frames of reference? What does acceleration do to affect the theory? Speed of light is constant I assume still holds? But does it ahhahaha? Please feel free to drop bombs on me but I don't think I could hack like a Uni level paper explaining hahaha basics I'm dumb lmao

Hey Beau! Don't stress too much about accelerating frames etc; it's beyond the curriculum, and beyond Special relativity. Essentially, the whole idea of special relativity stems from two propositions; that the speed of light is constant, and that the laws of physics hold true in all inertial frames of reference. From there, using trains as analogies etc etc, you can show that time must dilate etc when inertial frames move in relation to each other. So, why must the frames be inertial (ie. non-accelerating)? Well, that's basically part of the definition of the principle of relativity!

Bit of a circular answer, but hope that makes sense.
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #1759 on: February 12, 2017, 09:03:07 pm »
I suppose you could say that special relativity was built on inertial frames of reference. Of course, something must apply to what it was built on.

But yeah, not much to add onto Jake's answer. "Acceleration warps space-time" but you don't know what space-time even is in the HSC course.

beau77bro

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1760 on: February 12, 2017, 09:23:17 pm »
I suppose you could say that special relativity was built on inertial frames of reference. Of course, something must apply to what it was built on.

But yeah, not much to add onto Jake's answer. "Acceleration warps space-time" but you don't know what space-time even is in the HSC course.

"Warps space time" hahaha ok that's all I needa know, thankyou both of you. Cheers Jake and Rui. Absolute gods

beau77bro

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1761 on: February 12, 2017, 10:10:53 pm »
Stroboscopic experiments--> we didn't really do them and I keep seeing questions on it and I have no idea how to do them? Are we supposed to be able to do them? I feel my class doesn't do the required pracs, opinions? Thankyouuuu

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1762 on: February 13, 2017, 11:05:22 am »
Stroboscopic experiments--> we didn't really do them and I keep seeing questions on it and I have no idea how to do them? Are we supposed to be able to do them? I feel my class doesn't do the required pracs, opinions? Thankyouuuu

Stroboscopic measurement is definitely not in the syllabus. Where are you finding the questions you're talking about? Don't worry about it at all, it isn't relevant!

beau77bro

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1763 on: February 13, 2017, 06:52:12 pm »
Stroboscopic measurement is definitely not in the syllabus. Where are you finding the questions you're talking about? Don't worry about it at all, it isn't relevant!

really? omg praise the lord. its in surfing, dot point and like this prac book. also a physics topic test i ordered hasnt arrived?

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1764 on: February 13, 2017, 07:04:34 pm »
really? omg praise the lord. its in surfing, dot point and like this prac book. also a physics topic test i ordered hasnt arrived?

Hey Beau! Very weird; would you like to private message me your name and when you ordered the topic tests, and I'll look into that for you?

Iminschool

• Forum Regular
  • Sup
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #1765 on: February 14, 2017, 08:04:59 pm »
For this question, the answer is B however i wanted to know how the current was reversed for it not to be A, is it because of the initial direction of current?
2016: Mathematics 92
2017 aims: Physics 96
Chemistry 94
Economics 93
English Advanced 90

ATAR AIM: 98ish

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1766 on: February 16, 2017, 12:32:00 am »
For this question, the answer is B however i wanted to know how the current was reversed for it not to be A, is it because of the initial direction of current?

Hey! Sorry for the late reply - I really don't even think that question is 'answerable,' because it doesn't define the direction of current properly. Like, the flow of current can only take a positive/negative value if you DEFINE it that way, by saying, "Okay, if it flows this way, it is positive." Usually we set this definition with voltages or whatever, but we don't get that here. So, I don't think it is appropriate in that regard :P

The only thing I can think of is, using the mathematical version of Faraday's Law:

That negative symbol represents Lenz's Law - Perhaps they think it most appropriate to put the current negative to start with, since the induced current is opposing the motion of the generator? That seems a bit of a stretch though, in my opinion :)

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #1767 on: February 16, 2017, 12:33:45 am »
Hey! Sorry for the late reply - I really don't even think that question is 'answerable,' because it doesn't define the direction of current properly. Like, the flow of current can only take a positive/negative value if you DEFINE it that way, by saying, "Okay, if it flows this way, it is positive." Usually we set this definition with voltages or whatever, but we don't get that here. So, I don't think it is appropriate in that regard :P

The only thing I can think of is, using the mathematical version of Faraday's Law:

That negative symbol represents Lenz's Law - Perhaps they think it most appropriate to put the current negative to start with, since the induced current is opposing the motion of the generator? That seems a bit of a stretch though, in my opinion :)
Yep that was what I thought - Lenz's law. But I wasn't certain so I didn't want to post.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1768 on: February 16, 2017, 12:48:45 am »
Yep that was what I thought - Lenz's law. But I wasn't certain so I didn't want to post.

Yeah neither am I... Don't stress about it too much Iminschool, HSC would never be that vague ;D

Iminschool

• Forum Regular
  • Sup
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #1769 on: February 16, 2017, 05:30:53 am »
Yeah neither am I... Don't stress about it too much Iminschool, HSC would never be that vague ;D

Haha, awesome
2016: Mathematics 92
2017 aims: Physics 96
Chemistry 94
Economics 93
English Advanced 90

ATAR AIM: 98ish