Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 21, 2024, 02:59:30 am

Author Topic: HSC Physics Question Thread  (Read 1043133 times)  Share 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Physics Question Thread
« Reply #1875 on: March 07, 2017, 07:42:12 pm »
Hi! I'm having a trouble understanding the answer to this question.

Initially I chose B because the galvanometer would deflect more if the current in the secondary increase by the formula. Isecondary/ Iprimary= n primary/ n secondary. And so a decrease in n secondary??

Hey Bubbly!!

So this is probably going to be the only time I'll ever say this - Don't worry about this question. It's really stupid, the given answer (A) can only be obtained through some really backwards thinking that I'm honestly not too sure about, because it makes assumptions about the questions I don't like. Some think the Galvanometer is actually measuring voltage, some think it is to do with the resistance introduced by adding more coils (the transformer is ideal, so don't buy that) - The one thing I believe about the question is that the voltage source is DC not AC, as indicated by the lines. But that shouldn't affect the answer, and of course, BOSTES hasn't given a solution either :P

So, don't worry about it. It's either a really convoluted/poorly written question, an incorrect answer by BOSTES, or perhaps the Illuminati. But your reasoning is solid, it makes the most sense, and it shows you understand the content! ;D

Bubbly_bluey

• Trendsetter
  • Just Floating By :)
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #1876 on: March 07, 2017, 10:19:06 pm »
Hey Bubbly!!

So this is probably going to be the only time I'll ever say this - Don't worry about this question. It's really stupid, the given answer (A) can only be obtained through some really backwards thinking that I'm honestly not too sure about, because it makes assumptions about the questions I don't like. Some think the Galvanometer is actually measuring voltage, some think it is to do with the resistance introduced by adding more coils (the transformer is ideal, so don't buy that) - The one thing I believe about the question is that the voltage source is DC not AC, as indicated by the lines. But that shouldn't affect the answer, and of course, BOSTES hasn't given a solution either :P

So, don't worry about it. It's either a really convoluted/poorly written question, an incorrect answer by BOSTES, or perhaps the Illuminati. But your reasoning is solid, it makes the most sense, and it shows you understand the content! ;D

Oh Yes i see what you mean!!! But I thought a galvanometer measures only current like an ammeter. If it was measuring voltage wouldn't it be a volt meter?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1877 on: March 07, 2017, 10:20:17 pm »
Oh Yes i see what you mean!!! But I thought a galvanometer measures only current like an ammeter. If it was measuring voltage wouldn't it be a volt meter?

I totally agree, hence why I hate those explanations  ;D

Sukakadonkadonk

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1878 on: March 08, 2017, 05:37:41 pm »
Hey guys,

Is there any difference between a metal being magnetic and a metal being Ferromagnetic?

Thanks.

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #1879 on: March 08, 2017, 08:41:04 pm »
Hey guys,

Is there any difference between a metal being magnetic and a metal being Ferromagnetic?

Thanks.

Hey! Generally, Ferromagnetism is just a term used to describe metals that exhibit strong, permanent magnetic properties (most notable, Iron). In the HSC syllabus, though, you can basically use the two terms interchangeably as far as I know :)

Jake
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

kiwiberry

• HSC LECTURER
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +97
« Reply #1880 on: March 10, 2017, 09:11:32 pm »
This is from HSC 2013, why is the answer D?
HSC 2017: English Adv (93) | Maths Ext 1 (99) | Maths Ext 2 (97) | Chemistry (95) | Physics (95)
ATAR: 99.85

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #1881 on: March 10, 2017, 09:15:29 pm »
This is from HSC 2013, why is the answer D?
A gets ruled out because the magnetic field is radial.

Now, note that the x-axis represents the speed of the motor. The speed of the motor will (because of electromagnetic induction and Lenz's law and blah) cause back EMF to appear in the motor. The back EMF is pretty much reducing the value of I in \(\tau = nBIA\cos \theta\). Hence, as the motor speeds up, the greater back EMF produced will work against the effect of the torque, thus bringing it back down.

Poor explanation because I'm shit at physics now.

kiwiberry

• HSC LECTURER
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +97
« Reply #1882 on: March 10, 2017, 10:19:46 pm »
A gets ruled out because the magnetic field is radial.

Now, note that the x-axis represents the speed of the motor. The speed of the motor will (because of electromagnetic induction and Lenz's law and blah) cause back EMF to appear in the motor. The back EMF is pretty much reducing the value of I in \(\tau = nBIA\cos \theta\). Hence, as the motor speeds up, the greater back EMF produced will work against the effect of the torque, thus bringing it back down.

Poor explanation because I'm shit at physics now.

Thanks Rui!! :)
HSC 2017: English Adv (93) | Maths Ext 1 (99) | Maths Ext 2 (97) | Chemistry (95) | Physics (95)
ATAR: 99.85

Aaron12038488

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #1883 on: March 12, 2017, 06:10:43 pm »
Just wondering what I should aim for (marks overall) at the end of Yr 11 and 12. I want to get >95.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1884 on: March 12, 2017, 07:44:29 pm »

Just wondering what I should aim for (marks overall) at the end of Yr 11 and 12. I want to get >95.

100 ☺

Seriously, if you are really aiming high, you should just be aiming to get the absolute highest mark you can. Why restrict yourself to getting a mark of X, just aim for 100!

Realistically you'd want to aim for a Band 6, but you shouldn't think that way ☺

Iminschool

• Forum Regular
  • Sup
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #1885 on: March 13, 2017, 04:34:06 pm »
Simple question here but my teacher marked it weirdly last year
Q. The function of a split-ring commutator in a motor is to:
a) Prevent back EMF from building up
b) Keeps the rotor spinning by converting AC to DC
c) Keeps the rotor spinning by converting DC to AC
d) None of the above

Thanks,
2016: Mathematics 92
2017 aims: Physics 96
Chemistry 94
Economics 93
English Advanced 90

ATAR AIM: 98ish

Alexicology

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1886 on: March 13, 2017, 04:47:21 pm »
+1
d) None of the above

Thanks,

The Answer is c) because a DC motor uses DC voltage and a split ring commutator is needed to reverse the direction of the current so that the force on each side of the coil is constant. therefore AC current.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1887 on: March 13, 2017, 04:56:47 pm »
d) None of the above

Thanks,

It is definitely not A or B because they don't make sense - But I don't really like the wording of C. It needs to reverse the direction of current every half turn, but that isn't really converting DC to AC. It is very inaccurate wording, and that makes me think it is D...

The Answer is c) because a DC motor uses DC voltage and a split ring commutator is needed to reverse the direction of the current so that the force on each side of the coil is constant. therefore AC current.

Undoubtedly this is correct too and makes sense, but I think they are trying to trick you with wording! But I wouldn't be surprised if the answer was C either ;D

Alexicology

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1888 on: March 13, 2017, 06:14:40 pm »
It is definitely not A or B because they don't make sense - But I don't really like the wording of C. It needs to reverse the direction of current every half turn, but that isn't really converting DC to AC. It is very inaccurate wording, and that makes me think it is D...

Undoubtedly this is correct too and makes sense, but I think they are trying to trick you with wording! But I wouldn't be surprised if the answer was C either ;D

I kind of think it is D too because the wording of the answer is weird, its function is reversing the current every half turn so thank you for correcting me :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1889 on: March 13, 2017, 06:47:41 pm »

I kind of think it is D too because the wording of the answer is weird, its function is reversing the current every half turn so thank you for correcting me :)

Oh definitely not a correction, your reasoning is correct too! Like, from the point of view of the coil it might as well be AC ;) just tricky questions being tricky :P