Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 18, 2024, 09:00:14 am

Author Topic: HSC Physics Question Thread  (Read 1042727 times)  Share 

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
Re: Physics Question Thread
« Reply #1920 on: March 19, 2017, 07:20:36 pm »
+1
That second question isn't examinable - Where's it from ;D

The actual reason it is 3>1>2 is because voltage is a change in electric field strength. Electric fields are stronger when their field lines are closer! So in 3, the potential difference is positive because the field is stronger at Point B. Then it is zero for 1 because the field is the same in both. Then it is negative for 2 because the field is stronger at point A.

I'm fairly sure that 'fields are stronger when field lines are closer together' is within the curriculum; I definitely learnt it in year 12, and used this principle to draw diagrams etc. From there, I definitely think this question is not examinable, however can probably be solved intuitively.
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

f_tan

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1921 on: March 19, 2017, 07:22:56 pm »
Why is there no induced current for the wire on the right?

kiwiberry

• HSC LECTURER
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +97
« Reply #1922 on: March 19, 2017, 07:31:21 pm »
That second question isn't examinable - Where's it from ;D

The actual reason it is 3>1>2 is because voltage is a change in electric field strength. Electric fields are stronger when their field lines are closer! So in 3, the potential difference is positive because the field is stronger at Point B. Then it is zero for 1 because the field is the same in both. Then it is negative for 2 because the field is stronger at point A.

It's from one of my school's past papers! :/ Good to know that it shouldn't be examinable, it freaked me out for a bit haha. Thanks for the explanantion though :)
HSC 2017: English Adv (93) | Maths Ext 1 (99) | Maths Ext 2 (97) | Chemistry (95) | Physics (95)
ATAR: 99.85

f_tan

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1923 on: March 19, 2017, 07:54:53 pm »
How do I do this question?

Thank you!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #1924 on: March 19, 2017, 08:54:46 pm »
+1
I'm fairly sure that 'fields are stronger when field lines are closer together' is within the curriculum; I definitely learnt it in year 12, and used this principle to draw diagrams etc. From there, I definitely think this question is not examinable, however can probably be solved intuitively.

Yep, that bit is indirectly examinable because you learn about flux density as field strength for magnetic fields, and you touch it again in Ideas to Implementation - But linking electric field to voltage in this way is a real stretch. Like, a switched on Year 12 student could answer it. But I doubt they'd ever expect anyone to do it - If the syllabus was the American/Mexican border this is just beyond Trump's impending wall imo :P

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1925 on: March 19, 2017, 08:56:35 pm »
Why is there no induced current for the wire on the right?

(Image removed from quote.)

Hey! You've got a DC current that sets up a constant magnetic field - You need a changing magnetic field for an induced current ;D if it was an AC current that would be a different story!

f_tan

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1926 on: March 19, 2017, 09:00:13 pm »
Hey! You've got a DC current that sets up a constant magnetic field - You need a changing magnetic field for an induced current ;D if it was an AC current that would be a different story!

But if current increases, wouldn't that cause the magnetic field to increase too and therefore change?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1927 on: March 19, 2017, 09:04:59 pm »
But if current increases, wouldn't that cause the magnetic field to increase too and therefore change?

Hmmm, yeah sorry you're totally right... At the very instant it increases the magnetic field would increase and that would induce a brief EMF - But perhaps the questions means a sustained EMF or something?

Is this from a practice paper where the answer suggests there is no induced current or? :)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 09:06:45 pm by jamonwindeyer »

f_tan

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1928 on: March 19, 2017, 09:18:52 pm »
Is this from a practice paper where the answer suggests there is no induced current or? :)

This is what the answer says, but I dont really get it:

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1929 on: March 19, 2017, 09:32:59 pm »
How do I do this question?

Thank you!

Right, so this one is relying on the mathematical version of Faraday's Law:

Now to my knowledge, this isn't directly examinable either (lots of weird questions tonight, or maybe I've just forgotten the whole syllabus ;)) - But not too difficult if you have learned that formula!

As a side note, this formula doesn't apply exactly this way exactly each time - But since it is a basic coil situation I'm fairly sure we just do this, and I see no other way anyhow! ;D

So the change in time is 0.2 seconds - What's the change in magnetic flux? Well we relate flux to flux density (field strength) and area with the formula \(\phi=BA\).

Initially, the area of the circular loop is is \(A_i=\pi r^2=0.04\pi\) (using SI units). The final area will be half of this value, \(0.02\pi\), so the change in area is \(0.02\pi\). So \(\Delta\phi=BA=2\times0.02\pi=0.04\pi\).

We use the formula to obtain:

I'm loosely confident this is the approach - Does it match any solutions you might have to this question?

Irrespective of this, the graph we can do. Remember that \(A=\pi r^2\), so decreasing radius at a constant rate will actually result in an accelerating change to area! Think of it this way, we know the area at 20cm is \(0.04\pi\). At 15cm, it will be \(0.0225\pi\). At 10cm, it will be \(0.01\pi\). The decrease in radius from 20cm to 15cm has a slightly larger effect on area than the decrease from 15cm to 10cm. Hence, the rate of decrease of area is highest initially, slowly decreasing.

Thus, the graph we sketch should have a peak right at the start, then a slow decrease, as the rate of change of area slowly decreases (and thus, so will the induced emf) ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1930 on: March 19, 2017, 09:38:16 pm »
+1
This is what the answer says, but I dont really get it:

Hmmm, this is interesting! I think when it says 'link' it is referring to flux linkage, like you'd get in a transformer with the iron core. But like, those don't make the emf, they significantly increase the size but it isn't a make or break.

The other explanation could be that there is no induced current, because there is no direction the current could flow to oppose the change that created it. That is, no current could flow in the conductor to introduce a field out of the page at that point - Like, the magnetic field due to that induced current wouldn't do anything to oppose the other field. So therefore, why should it be induced? :)

bsdfjnlkasn

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #1931 on: March 19, 2017, 09:41:16 pm »
Hey there how would I find the height of the platform of this question?
I got the gradient = 0.73 which should give me the time I need to sub into one of the projectile equations. I'm just not sure which one to use and how direction plays into this because i'm putting -9.8 for g but then that gives me a negative distance (delta y) so i'm really confused???

Any help would be great!

f_tan

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1932 on: March 19, 2017, 09:42:46 pm »
I'm loosely confident this is the approach - Does it match any solutions you might have to this question?

Thanks so much! I couldn't find any solutions for the question.

bsdfjnlkasn

• Forum Obsessive
Physics Question Thread
« Reply #1933 on: March 19, 2017, 09:48:13 pm »
Hey me again,

Sorry if this is really stupid but how would you count the dots in a question like this? Would you count the first one on the right or not because it's when the initial velocity is 0 i.e. when t=0 - or am I completely overthinking this - please help  :) :)

EDIT: I've attached the relevant questions and my answers - if someone could please help me out with c and check the rest I'd really appreciate it!!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 09:58:39 pm by bsdfjn;lkasn »

bsdfjnlkasn

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1934 on: March 19, 2017, 10:09:03 pm »
Hey is there anything I could add to my answers for projectile motion here (Q5)
I'm also stuck with how to interpret part d)

(This is a practice test by the way im not making you guys do an exam for me - there just weren't any answers provided online)