Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 21, 2024, 12:51:45 pm

Author Topic: HSC Physics Question Thread  (Read 1043184 times)  Share 

smile123

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: cerdon college
  • School Grad Year: 2016
Re: Physics Question Thread
« Reply #2040 on: April 16, 2017, 08:31:46 pm »
HELP
I figured out a) is 18.62m/s
 but I can't find b) and c)

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #2041 on: April 16, 2017, 10:10:41 pm »
HELP
I figured out a) is 18.62m/s
 but I can't find b) and c)

For b) we use

The final velocity is zero, as the rock is stationary for a moment. Thus,

Now, it takes 9.00-1.30=7.70s for the rock to go from the maximum height to the ground. Thus

However, this includes the height ABOVE the building. Subtracting this, 290.5-17.69=272.8m is our answer :)
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #2042 on: April 16, 2017, 11:51:40 pm »
Hey so I was reading about EMF and magnetic flux and recapping stuff and the concepts are pretty clear but I'm having trouble understanding Faraday's law's formula

http://buphy.bu.edu/~duffy/PY106/14e.GIF

like flux is BAcostheta and I understand the way A is the area and costheta is the angle made with the normal but i dont get Faraday's formula :/

thank you

Hey! So that version of the formula isn't going to be useful in the HSC - Since you'll never have to deal with Faraday's law numerically! I'll give you another version - But I will explain this one first.

\(\Delta\left(BA\cos{\theta}\right)\) - This is the change in magnetic flux. Note that the \(\Delta\) symbol just means "difference" as always. The reason it is \(BA\) is from the formula \(\Phi=BA\) - You get magnetic flux by multiplying magnetic flux density by area - Which makes intuitive sense ;D The \(\cos\phi\) term just takes care of the angle of the field, basically :)

\(N\) is the number of turns in the coil you are talking about, and then the denominator represents change in time. So in words:

The induced EMF in a solenoid is equal to the rate of change of magnetic flux in that solenoid, multiplied by the number of turns in the solenoid.

Again though, you'll never use this formula algebraically in the HSC. Not assessable - Faraday's Law in this algebraic form isn't even in the syllabus ;D so I instead tell my students to use this simpler version just for the utility:

In words: The magnitude of an induced emf is proportional to the rate of change of magnetic flux. This captures exactly the same information as above, but just in a way less technical way that is far easier to convey in exams.

Oh woops, forgot something. Notice both your formula and my formula have negative signs - We can actually mathematically prove that this negative exists in the formula, but for us, it represents Lenz's Law ;D

itssona

• MOTM: APR 17
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #2043 on: April 17, 2017, 12:15:08 am »
Hey! So that version of the formula isn't going to be useful in the HSC - Since you'll never have to deal with Faraday's law numerically! I'll give you another version - But I will explain this one first.

\(\Delta\left(BA\cos{\theta}\right)\) - This is the change in magnetic flux. Note that the \(\Delta\) symbol just means "difference" as always. The reason it is \(BA\) is from the formula \(\Phi=BA\) - You get magnetic flux by multiplying magnetic flux density by area - Which makes intuitive sense ;D The \(\cos\phi\) term just takes care of the angle of the field, basically :)

\(N\) is the number of turns in the coil you are talking about, and then the denominator represents change in time. So in words:

The induced EMF in a solenoid is equal to the rate of change of magnetic flux in that solenoid, multiplied by the number of turns in the solenoid.

Again though, you'll never use this formula algebraically in the HSC. Not assessable - Faraday's Law in this algebraic form isn't even in the syllabus ;D so I instead tell my students to use this simpler version just for the utility:

In words: The magnitude of an induced emf is proportional to the rate of change of magnetic flux. This captures exactly the same information as above, but just in a way less technical way that is far easier to convey in exams.

Oh woops, forgot something. Notice both your formula and my formula have negative signs - We can actually mathematically prove that this negative exists in the formula, but for us, it represents Lenz's Law ;D

magnetic field density is like magnetic field strength right? so B is always magnetic density?

Phew, so glad it's not tested! Although it is so fkn interesting! Thank you for explaining it, I understand the rest of what you said so i feel so proud rn :D

The simplified formula you showed is awesome omfg, thank you Jamon!! Wait, in the HSC can I still use the formula in an extended mark question just to show off and get marks?

Lenz's law from what I read, apparently opposes motion of the current? So the negative is because it's going in the opposing direction?

Thank you for the amazing answers, much appreciated omg :)

HSC 2018 : Maths 3U, Maths 4U, English Advanced, Biology, Physics, Chemistry

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #2044 on: April 17, 2017, 09:27:05 am »

magnetic field density is like magnetic field strength right? so B is always magnetic density?

Phew, so glad it's not tested! Although it is so fkn interesting! Thank you for explaining it, I understand the rest of what you said so i feel so proud rn :D

The simplified formula you showed is awesome omfg, thank you Jamon!! Wait, in the HSC can I still use the formula in an extended mark question just to show off and get marks?

Lenz's law from what I read, apparently opposes motion of the current? So the negative is because it's going in the opposing direction?

Thank you for the amazing answers, much appreciated omg :)

Everything you propose up there is correct - B is flux density which is field strength, and yep, that's the reason the negative is there

You can use the formula in those sorts of questions! But they'd be equally impressed by your version or my version, so pick your poison

itssona

• MOTM: APR 17
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #2045 on: April 17, 2017, 09:53:20 am »
Everything you propose up there is correct - B is flux density which is field strength, and yep, that's the reason the negative is there

You can use the formula in those sorts of questions! But they'd be equally impressed by your version or my version, so pick your poison

Yaaaaayy!! :D

Ooh nice, I shall do that next year in the HSC lol :D

HSC 2018 : Maths 3U, Maths 4U, English Advanced, Biology, Physics, Chemistry

crazycodpro

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2046 on: April 17, 2017, 11:33:37 am »
+1
 :)

wyzard

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #2047 on: April 17, 2017, 11:57:37 am »
:)

For a), use the formula , since there are no initial vertical speed. For part b), as there are no horizontal acceleration, you can use the formula to work it out easily.
Graduated from high school in 2012 with atar of 99.55.

Currently doing MSc in Physics at UoM researching on Quantum Computers.

Offering group lessons for Unit 3/4 VCE Methods and Physics for 2017!

Selling awesome and in-depth study notes for Unit 3 Physics, PM me if interested! :D

Writer/Tutor at (Nerd of Passion)!
Connect with me on Facebook!

beau77bro

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #2048 on: April 17, 2017, 12:28:39 pm »
can someone please state an exact definition of in and out of phase. i understand that constructive mean they add together to produce a greater amplitude resultant wave and destructive is the reverse. but phase gets me... is 'in phase' when the crests both line up? like is that the ONLY time its in phase? or is just when they are in a phase that makes constructive interference? then out of phase means '180 difference in phase' or like the troughs line up with crests? again is it that single situation? then what about antiphase? is that when they are completely out of phase, or is that when they are out of phase completely and have the same amplitude???? and what does in a constant phase mean on its own omg?

sorry for the billion questions, but appreciate any responses to as many as u can ahhahaha

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #2049 on: April 17, 2017, 12:42:11 pm »
can someone please state an exact definition of in and out of phase. i understand that constructive mean they add together to produce a greater amplitude resultant wave and destructive is the reverse. but phase gets me... is 'in phase' when the crests both line up? like is that the ONLY time its in phase? or is just when they are in a phase that makes constructive interference? then out of phase means '180 difference in phase' or like the troughs line up with crests? again is it that single situation? then what about antiphase? is that when they are completely out of phase, or is that when they are out of phase completely and have the same amplitude???? and what does in a constant phase mean on its own omg?

sorry for the billion questions, but appreciate any responses to as many as u can ahhahaha

Yep, you're right on the money! In phase means that the two waves are exactly identical; ie they will entirely constructively interfere. Out of phase just means that they are NOT perfectly aligned; some areas will interfere constructively, but many will interfere destructively. Anti-phase is when they are perfectly unaligned; ie a creset meets a trough and cancels it out.

beau77bro

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2050 on: April 17, 2017, 01:52:22 pm »
Yep, you're right on the money! In phase means that the two waves are exactly identical; ie they will entirely constructively interfere. Out of phase just means that they are NOT perfectly aligned; some areas will interfere constructively, but many will interfere destructively. Anti-phase is when they are perfectly unaligned; ie a creset meets a trough and cancels it out.

ohhh ok thankyou jake, you really cleared it up. thankyouuuu

beau77bro

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2051 on: April 17, 2017, 02:02:24 pm »
why is it important that x-rays have wavelengths of similar distance to the distance between atoms in the crystal lattice in the x-ray diffraction experiments by the braggs?

also when is the next lecture from you guys?

beau77bro

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2052 on: April 17, 2017, 02:20:38 pm »
can someone please explain the first paragraph? do we need to know this? i dont really get the apparatus or its workings/how it works. any help appreciated, thankyou lots atarnotes forum

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #2053 on: April 17, 2017, 02:26:49 pm »
why is it important that x-rays have wavelengths of similar distance to the distance between atoms in the crystal lattice in the x-ray diffraction experiments by the braggs?

also when is the next lecture from you guys?

To be honest, when it comes to that dotpoint I wouldn't bother knowing WHY, just that it is an important factor. Basically, the waves need to be able to 'get between' the layers, and thus create a diffraction pattern. So, wavelengths of similar size sort of allow that.

Keep an eye out for future lecture dates; we'll be doing some mid-year Trial prep lectures :)

No, you don't need to know the first paragraph of information.

beau77bro

• Forum Obsessive