Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 18, 2024, 07:06:04 am

Author Topic: HSC Physics Question Thread  (Read 1042706 times)  Share 

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
Re: Physics Question Thread
« Reply #2250 on: June 12, 2017, 10:10:48 pm »
+1
Consider the movement of 1C of positive charge in a uniform electric field as shown below.

(Just a diagram of a plate with the positive plate at the top, and a positive charge placed in the field at the top, and then moving towards the bottom. No numerical values given for d, or v; they're just labelled as the letters).

The question states: Compare the kinetic energy of the Coulomb of charge at the top plate to the kinetic energy of the charge right before it collides with the bottom plate.

Halllp. How do you find the kinetic energy in terms of electricity?

Hey! I don't think you'd need to quantify any relationship. You'd rather need to discuss, generally, what the hell is going on.

In an electric field, a charged particle experiences a force. That force is the same, no matter where in the electric field you are, assuming that the electric field stays constant (which it does here). So, what can we say about the force? There is a constant force pushing the charge downwards!

Does that sound familiar? Well, it should; that's how gravity works as well! If there is a constant force applied, in the same direction, then the particle will accelerate downwards. So, if you just wanted to qualitatively discuss the kinetic energy, you'd say that it starts off at zero (as it is at rest), and then increases and an increasing rate the further down it is 'pushed'.

However, you could get a bit more technical than that. You could find that constant accelerating force, and label it 'a'. Then, you could literally just apply the same formulas that you use for projectile motion! For instance, we know that

However, the initial velocity is zero (assuming the particle at rest). So, the velocity of the particle will always be the accelerating force 'a', multiplied by time. Thus, we can plug this into our kinetic energy formula

None of this last part is necessary, just interesting the think about :)
Edit: A bit more 'precise'

We actually know that the force on a charged particle is

Here, q is equal to 1 C, so

But, force also equals mass times acceleration, so

Putting this into our kinetic energy formula

If I'm honest, we could also figure out a better value than t, using the known distance between the plates. ie. We could find how long it takes the particle to cover a distance, d, using projectile motion formulas. All of this is probably beyond the question, so I'll stop here.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 10:18:32 pm by jakesilove »
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

Jyrgal

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2251 on: June 12, 2017, 10:38:23 pm »
A person throws an object of 10kg upwards at 0.5ms^-1 on Earth's surface

Determine the force he has to apply on the object
Is it right to consider the acceleration the person has to exert on the object to be 10.3ms^-2 upwards? If not, whats the proper way to figure out this question? Thanks :D

bluecookie

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #2252 on: June 13, 2017, 05:00:06 pm »

bluecookie

• Trendsetter
« Reply #2253 on: June 13, 2017, 05:41:58 pm »
Halp I don't get this diagram:

http://images.tutorvista.com/content/feed/u496/JJ_Thomson_exp2.png

In the other experiments the anode was always on the opposite end of the cathode, so I assume it was that that was pulling the electron stream towards the anode to complete the circuit. But in this one the anode is placed at the front, so wouldn't the electrons short circuit and not travel the remainder of the tube at all? Why does it continue travelling?

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #2254 on: June 13, 2017, 05:45:32 pm »
+1
Halp I don't get this diagram:

http://images.tutorvista.com/content/feed/u496/JJ_Thomson_exp2.png

In the other experiments the anode was always on the opposite end of the cathode, so I assume it was that that was pulling the electron stream towards the anode to complete the circuit. But in this one the anode is placed at the front, so wouldn't the electrons short circuit and not travel the remainder of the tube at all? Why does it continue travelling?

Hey! So in the JJ Thomson experiment, electrons still get fired out of the cathode (left most piece of metal). They are accelerated towards the anode, based on the voltage difference between them (we call this the 'accelerating voltage'. However, there is basically an actual physical hole in the anode. So, some of the electrons flying towards the right hand side go through the hole, and continue in a straight path towards the rest of the experiment!

Again, great questions from you :)

bluecookie

• Trendsetter
« Reply #2255 on: June 13, 2017, 05:50:56 pm »
Hey! So in the JJ Thomson experiment, electrons still get fired out of the cathode (left most piece of metal). They are accelerated towards the anode, based on the voltage difference between them (we call this the 'accelerating voltage'. However, there is basically an actual physical hole in the anode. So, some of the electrons flying towards the right hand side go through the hole, and continue in a straight path towards the rest of the experiment!

Again, great questions from you :)

So the anode has no physical affect on the motion of the cathode rays? Or is it a little, like the cathode rays travel in a slight parabolic arc towards the anode, so maybe the cathode rays towards the outer edge of the hole get influenced by the anode and sway towards the anode, where they touch the metal and get absorbed?  But the ones inside (where the attraction of the anode is too weak) don't get enough influence to connect to the anode and thus go through?

Sorry, just want to iron things out here!

S200

• Part of the furniture
  • Yeah well that happened...
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #2256 on: June 13, 2017, 05:57:03 pm »
Good luck trying to iron out a parabolic ray...  ;D :D
Carpe Vinum

\(\LaTeX\) - \(e^{\pi i }\)
#ThanksRui! - #Rui\(^2\) - #Jamon10000

5233718311 :D

bluecookie

• Trendsetter
« Reply #2257 on: June 13, 2017, 06:01:10 pm »
Good luck trying to iron out a parabolic ray...  ;D :D
Fuck, haha XD

I hate physics. Physics is the death of me. In fact, all subjects are the death of me. I wish I didn't even have to do school at all hahahahah XD

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #2258 on: June 13, 2017, 06:02:46 pm »
+1
So the anode has no physical affect on the motion of the cathode rays? Or is it a little, like the cathode rays travel in a slight parabolic arc towards the anode, so maybe the cathode rays towards the outer edge of the hole get influenced by the anode and sway towards the anode, where they touch the metal and get absorbed?  But the ones inside (where the attraction of the anode is too weak) don't get enough influence to connect to the anode and thus go through?

Totally fair enough. The electrons are fired, and accelerated, towards the anode. By the time they 'reach' the anode, they are going super super super fast. Some of them go through the hole. Like you say, the ones in the hole WILL be attracted the to inner-surface of the hole. Those that touch the surface will be absorbed. However, as they are going so so fast, they barely have time to 'bend' in any meaningful way. So, they continue on their merry way! Again, you're asking questions beyond the curriculum, but it's still great to have an understanding.

bluecookie

• Trendsetter
« Reply #2259 on: June 13, 2017, 06:05:19 pm »

S200

• Part of the furniture
  • Yeah well that happened...
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #2260 on: June 13, 2017, 06:06:44 pm »
I hate physics. Physics is the death of me. In fact, all subjects are the death of me. I wish I didn't even have to do school at all hahahahah XD
Physics is my favourite subject right now...
But I'm def. with you for the rest!!
Carpe Vinum

\(\LaTeX\) - \(e^{\pi i }\)
#ThanksRui! - #Rui\(^2\) - #Jamon10000

5233718311 :D

bluecookie

• Trendsetter
« Reply #2261 on: June 13, 2017, 06:08:24 pm »
Totally fair enough. The electrons are fired, and accelerated, towards the anode. By the time they 'reach' the anode, they are going super super super fast. Some of them go through the hole. Like you say, the ones in the hole WILL be attracted the to inner-surface of the hole. Those that touch the surface will be absorbed. However, as they are going so so fast, they barely have time to 'bend' in any meaningful way. So, they continue on their merry way! Again, you're asking questions beyond the curriculum, but it's still great to have an understanding.

Thanks!

bluecookie

• Trendsetter
« Reply #2262 on: June 13, 2017, 06:12:44 pm »
Physics is my favourite subject right now...
But I'm def. with you for the rest!!
Whoa, its awesome that you can enjoy a subject that I will never understand XD Props to you! (Should post on my profile under user comments if you want to keep chatting, don't wanna spam this thread)

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #2263 on: June 13, 2017, 06:12:59 pm »
What's an electrostatic lens?

http://www.rfcafe.com/references/electrical/NEETS-Modules/images/16616imgF.gif

Wooooow this is probably the point where I need to put the breaks on; this is way way way beyond anything you need to understand. Forget about it aha

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #2264 on: June 13, 2017, 06:13:38 pm »
Whoa, its awesome that you can enjoy a subject that I will never understand XD Props to you! (Should post on my profile under user comments if you want to keep chatting, don't wanna spam this thread)

Feel free to spam the thread! Or, create a new thread, asking people how they're finding Physics! Or, private message each other! Or, chat on each other's profiles! This is your forum as much as ours :)