Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 21, 2024, 06:09:05 am

Author Topic: HSC Physics Question Thread  (Read 1043149 times)  Share 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Physics Question Thread
« Reply #2340 on: July 05, 2017, 09:24:23 pm »
+1
HIHI :)
dumbass me is still struggling to understand the inconsistencies of the classical theory's interpretation of blackbody radiation and the UV catastrophe :( so far i know that they thought that emission was dependent on frequency, and that energy is absorbed is continuous ( that is, can occur at any amount and increases as wavelength becomes shorter except this true, but only applies to longer wavelengths)

could someone directly pinpoint and outline specifically ALL the things that were wrong with it?

cheers :)

Hey! You've pretty much spotted the two big issues, you won't need much else in the HSC! They thought intensity was related to frequency through a law called Rayleigh Jeans Law, which as you say, worked for longer wavelengths but started breaking down for shorter ones. Note that this classical theory also violated the conservation of energy - You can't have intensity (and thus, energy) approaching infinity at short wavelengths. That makes no sense. The idea of quantised energy was then the eventual solution ;D

Btw, definitely not a dumbass, this is tough stuff! And it seems you've got a solid understanding - Is anything particularly confusing you? :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #2341 on: July 05, 2017, 09:32:29 pm »
+1
What exactly is magnetic flux and magnetic flux density?
Still remain somewhat confused from this dot point.
From my understanding, magnetic flux= number of magnetic field lines
                                       magnetic flux density= number of magnetic field lines per unit area
So, if you were given a question to compare two coils in a magnetic field, would you literally count the amount of lines that run through the coil?
Is magnetic flux density the same as the strength of a magnetic field?
Thanks

You are correct on every single point! ;D note though that magnetic flux does have a more rigorous mathematical definition than "the number of field lines." The field lines are just an easy way of representing magnetic flux, and we usually associate one line to \(1\text{Wb}\) of flux when we use it ;D

And yep, flux density is just flux per unit area, and that is how we define the strength of a magnetic field. Example, the earth's magnetic field, a butt tonne of magnetic flux, but low density - Hence, weak field ;D

JeffChiang

• Forum Regular
  • TAFE=employment+money UNI=broke AF
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2342 on: July 05, 2017, 10:29:12 pm »
You are correct on every single point! ;D note though that magnetic flux does have a more rigorous mathematical definition than "the number of field lines." The field lines are just an easy way of representing magnetic flux, and we usually associate one line to \(1\text{Wb}\) of flux when we use it ;D

And yep, flux density is just flux per unit area, and that is how we define the strength of a magnetic field. Example, the earth's magnetic field, a butt tonne of magnetic flux, but low density - Hence, weak field ;D

Ahh right. Thanks for the clarification Jamon. It just seemed really confusing to me how simplified and undetailed the concepts are but I get it now.
Procrastination is a never ending revolution that will always end in procrastination

B A C K  B E F O R E  Y R 1 2

un-helpful advice

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #2343 on: July 05, 2017, 10:31:44 pm »
+1
Ahh right. Thanks for the clarification Jamon. It just seemed really confusing to me how simplified and undetailed the concepts are but I get it now.

Welcome to HSC Physics ;) nah I totally get it, it's almost deceptive in how simplified it is - Always happy to give the extra little bit of knowledge if it helps ;D

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #2344 on: July 05, 2017, 10:34:44 pm »

Welcome to HSC Bullshitland ;)
I think that's better Jamon 8)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #2345 on: July 05, 2017, 10:37:22 pm »
I think that's better Jamon 8)

The resentment is stroooooong ;)

seventeenboi

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #2346 on: July 06, 2017, 02:10:13 pm »
+1
Hey! You've pretty much spotted the two big issues, you won't need much else in the HSC! They thought intensity was related to frequency through a law called Rayleigh Jeans Law, which as you say, worked for longer wavelengths but started breaking down for shorter ones. Note that this classical theory also violated the conservation of energy - You can't have intensity (and thus, energy) approaching infinity at short wavelengths. That makes no sense. The idea of quantised energy was then the eventual solution ;D

Btw, definitely not a dumbass, this is tough stuff! And it seems you've got a solid understanding - Is anything particularly confusing you? :)

ahhh okok thank you!!! glad to see that i'm on the right track! it's just that the entire dotpoint 2 is a little convoluted at times, but i'll keep working on it yay

AJ123

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2347 on: July 07, 2017, 07:59:10 pm »
How to nail those 5-7 markers and score in the highest band for those qs?

winstondarmawan

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #2348 on: July 07, 2017, 11:15:50 pm »

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #2349 on: July 07, 2017, 11:26:30 pm »
How to nail those 5-7 markers and score in the highest band for those qs?

Hey! Big question, but a few tips:

- You need to know your syllabus, meaning, when they give you that one sentence request for information, you know the syllabus well enough to know exactly the information they want.
- Use your jargon; the proper terminology lets you express yourself more succinctly and communicate your knowledge to the marker more obviously. Make revision of these key terms an integral part of your study routine!
- Lots of practice, obviously ;D
- Respond to the verb - When asked for a judgement, give one. When asked for an explanation, be sure to link the effect of one thing to the cause of the text. Be efficient!

There's only a limited number of 5-7 markers they can ask, aim to have practiced all of them before exam time! ;D

pikachu975

• Forum Obsessive
  • Stars and Bars
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #2350 on: July 07, 2017, 11:28:26 pm »

Offering tutoring for Biology, Maths, Maths Ext 1, and Maths Ext 2.
Send me a message if interested!

2016 HSC (Accelerated):
// 2U Maths (97) // SOR 1 (48) //

2017 HSC:
// English Adv // Bio // Phys // 3U Maths // 4U Maths //

Goal: 99.9

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #2351 on: July 08, 2017, 12:20:36 am »

winstondarmawan

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2352 on: July 08, 2017, 11:32:19 am »
Ditto here, perhaps the answers are off? ;D
Thought so... just found it weird bc that was from James Ruse. Thanks guys!

winstondarmawan

• Forum Obsessive

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #2354 on: July 08, 2017, 03:35:58 pm »
Hello! Need help with the following, TIA.

Hey! My bet here would be that the answer is C -> Mostly because it doesn't really make much sense. DC input proportional to voltage - What? The wording seems off, so that would be my pick. Note that the spring is vital to make sure the pointer doesn't just spin wildly, the plane of the coil is always parallel to the field which removes any variation as it spins, and the area needs to be constant for the same reason. So, pretty sure it is C ;D