Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 21, 2024, 02:48:08 am

Author Topic: HSC Physics Question Thread  (Read 1043133 times)  Share 

12carpim

• Adventurer
  • Physics is love. Physics is life!
  • Respect: 0
Re: Physics Question Thread
« Reply #2700 on: September 06, 2017, 08:04:34 pm »
+1
Hey, I'm just wondering if someone is able to explain how Proton density images are obtained in MRI imaging, is it from the combination of T1 and T2 relaxation or is it a totally different imaging?
Thanks  :) :)
FroMarco

austv99

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2701 on: September 06, 2017, 08:26:34 pm »
+1
Why is the answer C?
I thought it was D since electrical resistance is required to dissipate heat?

kiwiberry

• HSC LECTURER
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +97
« Reply #2702 on: September 06, 2017, 08:47:08 pm »
+7
Why is the answer C?
I thought it was D since electrical resistance is required to dissipate heat?

Assuming that voltage is constant, current and resistance are inversely proportional by V=IR - so if current is low, resistance must be high and vice versa. Since Ploss=I2R, the amount of heat is determined by both current and resistance, but mostly current. So, we want resistance to be low so current can be high, in order to maximise power losses and therefore have faster heating :)
HSC 2017: English Adv (93) | Maths Ext 1 (99) | Maths Ext 2 (97) | Chemistry (95) | Physics (95)
ATAR: 99.85

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #2704 on: September 09, 2017, 08:39:43 pm »
+4

Would appreciate help with the following:
5. https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t35.0-12/21557295_1321052091353644_1671431094_o.jpg?oh=0055bf0754276894538f81a3e740e1da&oe=59B53747
F=ma   Therefore, acceleration will be greatest at maximum force (NOT maximum change in force)

austv99

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2705 on: September 09, 2017, 08:50:32 pm »
+1
Is b referring to the fact that without a split ring, the coil alternates? Since ac induction motors dont use the motor effect?

austv99

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2706 on: September 09, 2017, 09:37:55 pm »
+1
Can someone help with this question?
TIA

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #2707 on: September 09, 2017, 10:57:19 pm »
+7
Is b referring to the fact that without a split ring, the coil alternates? Since ac induction motors dont use the motor effect?

Hey! So this is for the second one right? Yeah you've got it, so this is for AC motors that use the slip rings, the ones very similar to DC motors - Not induction motors like the first part of the question. Weird, I know!

So you'd identify what the motor effect actually is for a mark, describe the effect is has on the coil in such a motor for a mark, then explain how the alternating current maintains a constant direction of torque for a mark ;D

Can someone help with this question?
TIA

The two cannonballs, despite being launched at different angles, reach the same maximum height in the same amount of time. That is, the horizontal motion of Cannonball Q hasn't affected its vertical motion - The horizontal and vertical components are independent. This is what supports Galileo's analysis! :)

beau77bro

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #2708 on: September 10, 2017, 02:03:12 pm »
+1
how does magnetic levitation work??

pikachu975

• Forum Obsessive
  • Stars and Bars
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #2709 on: September 10, 2017, 02:08:19 pm »
+1
how does magnetic levitation work??

Are you referring to the prac or maglev trains?

Offering tutoring for Biology, Maths, Maths Ext 1, and Maths Ext 2.
Send me a message if interested!

2016 HSC (Accelerated):
// 2U Maths (97) // SOR 1 (48) //

2017 HSC:
// English Adv // Bio // Phys // 3U Maths // 4U Maths //

Goal: 99.9

beau77bro

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2710 on: September 10, 2017, 02:54:34 pm »
+1
Are you referring to the prac or maglev trains?
"Analyse information to explain why a magnet is able to hover above a superconducting material that has reached the temperature at which it is superconducting" a secondary dot point in the syllabus - it was not covered well in class so i don't really get it.

pikachu975

• Forum Obsessive
  • Stars and Bars
« Reply #2711 on: September 10, 2017, 03:32:31 pm »
+4
"Analyse information to explain why a magnet is able to hover above a superconducting material that has reached the temperature at which it is superconducting" a secondary dot point in the syllabus - it was not covered well in class so i don't really get it.

Surface currents (cooper pairs) prevent any magnetic flux from penetrating the superconductor known as the Meissner effect. This means an equal and opposite magnetic field is produced to oppose the magnet's magnetic field and to oppose it's weight force downwards, causing it to levitate.

2016 HSC (Accelerated):

2017 HSC:

beau77bro

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2712 on: September 10, 2017, 03:55:28 pm »
+1
Surface currents (cooper pairs) prevent any magnetic flux from penetrating the superconductor known as the Meissner effect. This means an equal and opposite magnetic field is produced to oppose the magnet's magnetic field and to oppose it's weight force downwards, causing it to levitate.

elaborate please? how do cooper pairs prevent the magnetic field? how is the opposing magnetic field produced - i was told eddy currents aren't responsible. also i just had a trial question based upon it rising initially and what causes it - what happens there?

pikachu975

• Forum Obsessive
  • Stars and Bars
« Reply #2713 on: September 10, 2017, 04:13:13 pm »
+4
elaborate please? how do cooper pairs prevent the magnetic field? how is the opposing magnetic field produced - i was told eddy currents aren't responsible. also i just had a trial question based upon it rising initially and what causes it - what happens there?

It's not eddy currents, it's surface currents i.e. cooper pairs. Also we don't need to know how meissner effect works I think that's beyond HSC it probably involves some quantum theory. What causes it to rise is basically what I said - the cooper pairs (surface currents) prevent flux entering the superconductor known as meissner effect, then they produce a magnetic field equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to balance the magnet's weight force (make sure to include it balances the weight force or opposes it).

2016 HSC (Accelerated):

2017 HSC:

beau77bro

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2714 on: September 10, 2017, 06:02:09 pm »
+1
It's not eddy currents, it's surface currents i.e. cooper pairs. Also we don't need to know how meissner effect works I think that's beyond HSC it probably involves some quantum theory. What causes it to rise is basically what I said - the cooper pairs (surface currents) prevent flux entering the superconductor known as meissner effect, then they produce a magnetic field equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to balance the magnet's weight force (make sure to include it balances the weight force or opposes it).

Is that all we have to know? thanks pikchu. still interested in how it works beyond the course tho, maybe a certain quantum physicist could send some info our way?