Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 20, 2024, 06:14:17 pm

Author Topic: HSC Physics Question Thread  (Read 1043056 times)  Share 

JuliaPascale123

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Physics Question Thread
« Reply #2745 on: September 20, 2017, 07:09:47 pm »
+1
Hi Guys,
Could I please have working out and answer for this question as I have found others like it and need to practice the skill.

Thanks <3,

Julia

gilliesb18

• Trendsetter
« Reply #2746 on: September 20, 2017, 08:04:52 pm »
+1
Hello :)
Just wondering how much harder physics gets in yr 12? Cause i'm considering dropping it now that some of my marks for this year haven't been so great...
Can someone give me their thoughts on this?

Thanks heaps :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #2747 on: September 20, 2017, 10:13:31 pm »
+4
Would appreciate help with this question
2013 HSC 27b

Hey! So the things to discuss:

- The electric vehicle will propel itself using the motor effect - Explain this effect for a mark.
- The electric vehicle will brake itself using the principle of electromagnetic induction, as the movement of the wheels is used to induce a current in coil windings. This will brake the vehicle, because the induced currents create a magnetic field to interact with some other permanent magnetic field, to oppose the motion. Essentially, just typical stuff for a generator. Explain this for a mark.
- Analyse how these two processes are related in terms of energy, that is, electrical energy being converted into kinetic energy by the motor effect, and kinetic energy being converted to electrical energy by induction, for a mark.
- Last mark for identifying that these aren't perfect energy transformations, and so you'll always end up with less energy than you started with at the start of the process ;D

(You might get marks for slightly different things, but this is an indicator) ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #2748 on: September 20, 2017, 10:14:42 pm »
+1
Hi Guys,
Could I please have working out and answer for this question as I have found others like it and need to practice the skill.

(Image removed from quote.)

Thanks <3,

Julia

Hi Julia! This doesn't look like a HSC question to me - Where did you find it? :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #2749 on: September 20, 2017, 10:16:25 pm »
+5
Hello :)
Just wondering how much harder physics gets in yr 12? Cause i'm considering dropping it now that some of my marks for this year haven't been so great...
Can someone give me their thoughts on this?

Thanks heaps :)

Hey! In my opinion, Physics does get a little harder in Year 12. The concepts get a lot 'stranger,' and you do need to invest more time to wrap your head around them.

You can always improve!! But you'll need to want to put that extra effort in - Is Physics something you enjoy? ;D

JuliaPascale123

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2750 on: September 20, 2017, 10:24:46 pm »
+1
Hi Julia! This doesn't look like a HSC question to me - Where did you find it? :)

Hi Jamon,

I think I accidently submitted it into the maths questions aswell though its suppose to be for physics only. So our teacher gave us this and said if we can solve it we should be fine with any other question they throw at us regarding p =f/a

Do you have any idea how to solve it?

Thanks,
Julez

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #2751 on: September 20, 2017, 10:49:26 pm »
+4
Hi Jamon,

I think I accidently submitted it into the maths questions aswell though its suppose to be for physics only. So our teacher gave us this and said if we can solve it we should be fine with any other question they throw at us regarding p =f/a

Do you have any idea how to solve it?

Thanks,
Julez

\(P=\frac{F}{A}\) isn't a HSC assessable formula!! Perhaps your teacher is extending you? I've done a little bit on this at uni but I probably wouldn't be comfortable trying to answer it properly, sorry! :)

gilliesb18

• Trendsetter
« Reply #2752 on: September 21, 2017, 10:23:30 am »
+1
Hey! In my opinion, Physics does get a little harder in Year 12. The concepts get a lot 'stranger,' and you do need to invest more time to wrap your head around them.

You can always improve!! But you'll need to want to put that extra effort in - Is Physics something you enjoy? ;D
Ok thanks for that... I dont know if I do entirely enjoy it actually!!! But all the same its a pretty cool subject....
Anymore ideas??

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #2753 on: September 21, 2017, 11:33:26 am »
+5
Ok thanks for that... I dont know if I do entirely enjoy it actually!!! But all the same its a pretty cool subject....
Anymore ideas??

If you really do enjoy it then I'd keep it, if you are less sure than I'd consider whether you want less units or not. This guide and this one might be useful for you ;D

gilliesb18

• Trendsetter
« Reply #2754 on: September 21, 2017, 04:03:46 pm »
+1
Ok thanks thats super helpful:):
But just thinking about it now, if I did drop Physics, and my other subjects are: Business Services, Mathematics(2U), Std English, Geography and German, would I still be able to get an atar? I can't seem to find much on it online for some reason...
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 06:44:49 pm by gilliesb18 »

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #2755 on: September 21, 2017, 07:22:43 pm »
+5
Ok thanks thats super helpful:):
But just thinking about it now, if I did drop Physics, and my other subjects are: Business Services, Mathematics(2U), Std English, Geography and German, would I still be able to get an atar? I can't seem to find much on it online for some reason...

You definitely can, Business Services is a Category B course, you are allowed 2 units of Category B (along with 8 units of Category A), so you qualify ;D

Here is a category list if you're interested :)

gilliesb18

• Trendsetter
« Reply #2756 on: September 21, 2017, 07:29:20 pm »
+2
Ok cool thanks heaps, you people on here are awesome!!!

Mymy409

• Trailblazer
  • "Stars can't shine without darkness."
« Reply #2757 on: September 22, 2017, 01:22:33 pm »
+1
Does anyone have any good notes under this dotpoint?

Perform a first-hand investigation,
gather information and analyse data to
calculate initial and final velocity,
maximum height reached, range and
time of flight of a projectile for a
range of situations by using
simulations, data loggers and
computer analysis

arunasva

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #2758 on: September 22, 2017, 11:03:51 pm »
+1
Does anyone have any good notes under this dotpoint?

Perform a first-hand investigation,
gather information and analyse data to
calculate initial and final velocity,
maximum height reached, range and
time of flight of a projectile for a
range of situations by using
simulations, data loggers and
computer analysis

in the  excell book yeah. Plus they never ask you anything too hard on that. There was a question in accuracy in that experiment and presentation of graphical data in the CSSA trial. Other an' that ive seen one question with a football, but that was mostly math. As long as you remember what you did you should be fine.
:3

Mymy409

• Trailblazer
  • "Stars can't shine without darkness."
« Reply #2759 on: September 23, 2017, 07:29:43 pm »
+1

in the  excell book yeah. Plus they never ask you anything too hard on that. There was a question in accuracy in that experiment and presentation of graphical data in the CSSA trial. Other an' that ive seen one question with a football, but that was mostly math. As long as you remember what you did you should be fine.

Thanks. :)

I've got another question: In the topic of escape velocity, why does the object have 0 velocity and 0 energy at infinity?