Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 09, 2024, 08:41:42 pm

Author Topic: HSC Results Discussion  (Read 30066 times)

rodero

• Forum Obsessive
  • Professional quote and statistic generator
HSC Results Discussion
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2017, 05:31:55 pm »
Ok this may be a stupid question but i have literally no one else to ask.

Today was the worst day of my life, I woke up to shocking marks (as expected because i did not perform my best during the hsc period)
Anyways, my predicted atar is around 81-83ish, and my first preference is Economics at UNSW which requires a 93 atar :(
If i get 3 bonus points from hsc plus and EAS Points from- low-socio economic school and EAS application because i am a refugee, is there ANY chance i can get in?

I really dont want to do the whole transferring and other pathways blah blah, please helpppppp

Yes there is still a possibility of getting in. There should be some statistics online about universities and the ATARs that they accepted for their course that are below the cut-off. For instance, I took a look at UTS Bus/Law a while back and saw that a decent percentage were accepted despite being either 1-10 points below the 97 requirement. Do you know how many points you'd be at once considering all the extra ATAR points? Don't give up, and remember transferring after your first year is still an option.

Edit: forgot to mention that it's mainly dependent on demand. If they still have seats left after accepting all the guaranteed entries, then there's hope that they'll accept people even though they got below the requirement.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 05:33:31 pm by rodero »
HSC 2017:
English (Advanced): 91    Legal Studies: 92    Modern History: 91    Studies of Religion 2: 90    Business Studies: 92

ATAR: 96.75

Need tutoring? Click here!

unhappychappy

• Adventurer
Re: HSC Results Discussion
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2017, 05:39:22 pm »
https://www.futurestudents.unsw.edu.au/admission-unsw

i checked this site and the lowest atar accepted was 88.4
 :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( i dont know what to do with my life anymore :(((((((((((((

Jane20

• Adventurer
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2017, 05:39:48 pm »
Hi guys sorry if this is out of the topic but
Is my math 2 units gonna be excluded automatically when i do extension 2 ?
I got 99 for math 2 units this year
Next year i may do ext2. But what if i fail my extension 2 or get like 55/100 ? Will my ex2 mark be calculated in my atar ? Or the system just do whatever that give me the highest atar they could ?
Thank you so much !!!

grace.estelle

• Trailblazer
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2017, 05:53:36 pm »
Next year i may do ext2. But what if i fail my extension 2 or get like 55/100 ? Will my ex2 mark be calculated in my atar ? Or the system just do whatever that give me the highest atar they could ?
Thank you so much !!!

Hi there! Once you sit that Ext2 exam, that's the mark they take no matter how bad you do. They will not use your 2u mark even if it is better.
HSC 2017: English Advanced | Legal Studies | Ancient History | Mathematics | Maths Extension 1 | Textiles and Design

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2017, 05:57:05 pm »
https://www.futurestudents.unsw.edu.au/admission-unsw

i checked this site and the lowest atar accepted was 88.4
 :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( i dont know what to do with my life anymore :(((((((((((((
For starters, constant panicking will actually get you nowhere. Whilst you are entitled to disappointment or distress (I'm there way more often than not), blaming just a four-digit number on "what to do with your life anymore" isn't going to achieve much.

As essentially implied above, you first need to not give up. The past years' statistics just tell you what happened in past years, not what will happen this year. You have done the best you could, and at this point all you can do is count on the possibility of having enough. You have already applied for your bonus points and there's nothing you can do to change anything else now.

Then, whilst pathways can be annoying, you should NEVER be disregarding it. All that crap on pathways being not-worthwhile is bullshit, because some pathways are better than others. In your case, because you're trying to enter a business degree at UNSW, an arguably GOOD pathway is to just put up with information systems for a year and then transfer in. Reason? You can literally do a bunch of courses that overlap into both. And you waste very little to negligible time because of it.
Or, you could take the gamble with a different university. But I won't talk about that, because I'm not the biggest advocate of that method (although it works).

Your question isn't stupid. It's a perfectly valid response when you're hit with marks you don't want to see. But as harsh as it sounds, the only actual detriment to your life is if you continuously dwell on it without hoping for the best and being prepared to take alternatives. Especially since some alternatives actually aren't useless.

I apologise if this comes out exceedingly painful, but there isn't any other way to put it
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 06:00:38 pm by RuiAce »

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2017, 05:58:44 pm »
Thank you so much !!!
Basically answered above - MX2 will be taken regardless.

It's pretty much because of the fact that students who take MX2 are classified to "never have taken" 2U anyway. So whereas the record of your 2U mark remains, it's now just a record and nothing more. (This exact same risk is also why some people advise MX2 students to sit 2U assessment tasks anyway, so that if they want to drop, they will have the safety net.)

Natmo243

• Adventurer
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2017, 07:04:04 pm »
Chemistry: 89 (so salty about this)
English Advanced: 85
Maths Extension 2: 70 (notional band 6)
Maths Extension 1: 80

I'm a tad disappointed that I missed out on making distinguished achievers 2 years in a row, but I cant complain with what I got :)
A question out of curiosity: Is it possible to put a mark value on a notional band 6 for 2 unit?
HSC 2017: English Advanced (85), Maths Ext 1 (80), Maths Ext 2 (70), Chemistry (89)
HSC 2016: Information & Digital Technology VET: 91
4th in state IDT VET
ATAR: 93.60
Currently Studying: Bachelor of Mathematics at UON

Marvo2017

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2017, 07:13:27 pm »
English Adv: 84
History Extension: 41
Studies of Religion: 44
Modern History: 82
Physics: 72
Mathematics: 70

Calculator estimated an 84 atar and I could not be more excited! I've gone through a lot of issues since the start of year 9 which continued to nag and affect me throughout my senior years, the course I wanted to get into required a 95 atar minimum but through EAP I was able to reduce it to 65, tbh these results are a dream for my family and I and I feel so amazed right now and grateful, I completely failed my trails (Got 37/100 for Physics) and was at an all time low, but now I just feel like things can only get better, and hope everyone else is doing fine too!

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2017, 07:15:53 pm »
Chemistry: 89 (so salty about this)
English Advanced: 85
Maths Extension 2: 70 (notional band 6)
Maths Extension 1: 80

I'm a tad disappointed that I missed out on making distinguished achievers 2 years in a row, but I cant complain with what I got :)
A question out of curiosity: Is it possible to put a mark value on a notional band 6 for 2 unit?
What do you mean by "notional" band 6?

Paige Potter

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2017, 08:00:52 pm »
I got a notional band 6 for mathematics (I think they look at you ext1 & ext2 marks and say that if you took mathematics you would have got a band 6). I was wondering whether or not this notional band 6 could be considered in bonus points at UNSW? Thanks so much for your help!!

Natmo243

• Adventurer
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2017, 08:04:47 pm »
What do you mean by "notional" band 6?
On my results from NSW Students Online it states "Mathematics (Extension 2) students are not required to sit for the 2 Unit Mathematics examination. If this student had sat for the 2 Unit Mathematics examination it is likely that he/she would have achieved Band 6 in that course." below my results. I was wondering if it was possible to pinpoint an exact mark for 2 unit as my school didn't offer accelerated 2 unit mathematics before I could undertake mathematics extension 2
HSC 2017: English Advanced (85), Maths Ext 1 (80), Maths Ext 2 (70), Chemistry (89)
HSC 2016: Information & Digital Technology VET: 91
4th in state IDT VET
ATAR: 93.60
Currently Studying: Bachelor of Mathematics at UON

Korrasami

• Forum Regular
« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2017, 09:13:35 pm »
Adv English: 92
Legal Studies: 91
Modern History: 78
PDHPE: 77
Studies of Religion II: 84
Society and Culture: 83

Overall, pretty happy with what I got. Really surprised about Society, as I was expecting that to be the exam that didn't count considering I didn't study for it AT ALL.
Great job guys!

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2017, 09:20:10 pm »
I completely forgot that thing even had a name
On my results from NSW Students Online it states "Mathematics (Extension 2) students are not required to sit for the 2 Unit Mathematics examination. If this student had sat for the 2 Unit Mathematics examination it is likely that he/she would have achieved Band 6 in that course." below my results. I was wondering if it was possible to pinpoint an exact mark for 2 unit as my school didn't offer accelerated 2 unit mathematics before I could undertake mathematics extension 2
Unfortunately, I think this is just not possible (unless you manage to find someone with all the marks from 50 to 100 in MX2). They just state that as a likely scenario, but to pin down an actual mark is another story.
I got a notional band 6 for mathematics (I think they look at you ext1 & ext2 marks and say that if you took mathematics you would have got a band 6). I was wondering whether or not this notional band 6 could be considered in bonus points at UNSW? Thanks so much for your help!!
I doubt it would, because your MX2 mark should already give you bonus points anyhow

adelaidecruz

• Trailblazer
« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2017, 10:12:41 pm »
Quick question: do schools get notified when one of their students state ranked in a particular subject?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 10:15:46 pm by adelaidecruz »
ATAR: 93.35
HSC 2017 - English Standard (94 - 11th in NSW) | Biology (92) | Chemistry (82) | Mathematics (83) | French Beginners (91)
2018-2022: B Sci (Physiology) / M Nursing @ USyd

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2017, 10:16:00 pm »
Quick question: does the school get notified when one of their students get a state rank for a particular subject?
Not unless they come first, however it is likely that the school will check the top achievers list to see if someone from the cohort made it :) 

Congratulations by the way!! What an incredible achievement! Standard English is one of the hardest subjects to do well in - you're an absolute legend :D
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!