Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 19, 2024, 10:44:18 pm

Author Topic: HSC Biology Question Thread  (Read 349272 times)  Share 

Natasha.97

• NSW MVP - 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • ~
  • Respect: +667
Re: Biology Question Thread
« Reply #1095 on: February 03, 2018, 10:15:36 pm »
+3
Hey! What are some examples of halophytes who use salt avoidance mechanisms rather than salt tolerance? Thank you!

Hi!

Red mangroves are adapted for salt exclusion, where root membranes in roots form a barrier against the passage of salt into xylem tissue.

Hope this helps :)
Life is weird and crazy as heck but what can you do?

markkhodair

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1096 on: February 04, 2018, 12:25:09 pm »
+1
Hi!

Red mangroves are adapted for salt exclusion, where root membranes in roots form a barrier against the passage of salt into xylem tissue.

Hope this helps :)

It does! Thank you so much x

itssona

• MOTM: APR 17
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #1097 on: February 19, 2018, 04:55:40 pm »
as for Mendel, "Plants that were self-fertilised were isolated from others (no accidental pollination using paper bag)."

what does this mean? why would self fertilising plants fertilise other ones.. what
HSC 2018 : Maths 3U, Maths 4U, English Advanced, Biology, Physics, Chemistry

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #1098 on: February 19, 2018, 05:03:10 pm »
+2
as for Mendel, "Plants that were self-fertilised were isolated from others (no accidental pollination using paper bag)."

what does this mean? why would self fertilising plants fertilise other ones.. what
So I don’t do hsc haha but this just means that the plants are normally able to either self-fertilise OR be fertilised by other plants. In this test he only wanted them to be self-fertilised so he had to stop accidental pollination.

ie. In the experiment they were self pollinated, but in the wild they didn’t have to be
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 05:04:53 pm by PhoenixxFire »
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

itssona

• MOTM: APR 17
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #1099 on: February 19, 2018, 05:09:40 pm »
So I don’t do hsc haha but this just means that the plants are normally able to either self-fertilise OR be fertilised by other plants. In this test he only wanted them to be self-fertilised so he had to stop accidental pollination.

ie. In the experiment they were self pollinated, but in the wild they didn’t have to be
ohh makes sense!! thank you :)
HSC 2018 : Maths 3U, Maths 4U, English Advanced, Biology, Physics, Chemistry

Yagami Light

• Adventurer
« Reply #1100 on: February 21, 2018, 10:53:16 pm »
Can someone explain to me indepth speciation isolation? Thanks
Year 11 Subjects -
-Phys- -EngAdv- -Chem- -Bio- -Mathematics EXT1 (Accelerated)- -Chc-

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
  • All the world's a stage & this is my improvisation
  • Respect: +302
« Reply #1101 on: February 21, 2018, 11:29:48 pm »
+3
Can someone explain to me indepth speciation isolation? Thanks
So I guess you mean divergent evolution via isolation well basically it happens like this:
1. The species becomes isolated by some sort of natural factor
2. The two seperate populations cannot breed with each other
3. The two populations become genetically isolated due to inability to cross breed due to the physical isolation
4. Eventually many generations pass on the most favourable traits for the distinct habitats the populations have inhabited
5. Two different species have now evolved from a common ansestor due to thir physical and genetic isolation
HSC 2017: Advanced English [85] General Maths [92] Biology [96] Geography [92] Drama [86]

2018: Bachelor of Arts and Advanced Studies at University of Sydney

-- need a tutor for any of the subjects listed above?? I reckon I'm the girl! Just message me on ATAR notes or here--

beeangkah

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
Re: HSC Biology Question Thread
« Reply #1102 on: February 28, 2018, 05:10:01 pm »
Does anyone have any tips for solving pedigree questions?

I know the basics like the circle = female, square = male etc.

But I find trouble, for instance, in determining if a characteristic is dominant/recessive, or if a certain offspring is heterozygous/homozygous for a certain trait.

Also, are they that important to know well?
Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 05:23:38 pm by beeangkah »

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #1103 on: February 28, 2018, 05:21:29 pm »
+1
Does anyone have any tips for solving pedigree questions?

I know the basics like the circle = female, square = male etc.

But I find trouble, for instance, in determining if a characteristic is dominant/recessive, or if a certain offspring is heterozygous/homozygous for a certain trait.

Thanks!
The best way I found to tackle pedigree question is to rather than looking for a certain inheritance pattern I would try to prove all the patterns wrong.

You can also use other tricks such as; trait is not seen in one generation but precedes and succeeds (i.e. skipping a generation) the trait is recessive.
or even if the trait only targets a specific gender is being impacted (usually male).

You can also try to write out the allelic pairs in order to make it a little clearer on which alleles have been passed down an inherited, if an allele is unknown I would write out a blank space e.g. A_ . Writing out punnet squares can help with determining the chances of an offspring have a trait/being a carrier.

markkhodair

• Adventurer
« Reply #1104 on: March 01, 2018, 09:25:01 pm »
Hey,

Could someone please explain the following dot point to me: describe outcomes of monohybrid crosses involving simple dominance using Mendel’s experiment. I can't wrap my head around it and looking at so many resources there's so much info and I just don't know what to do!! Could you also define Mendel's first law of dominance and segregation as simply as possible please?

Thank you.

jasn9776

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #1105 on: March 02, 2018, 10:58:02 pm »
+2
I dont know how you would explain monohybrid crosses which can also be represented as punnett squares(basically the same thing) without a video so: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-0rSv6oxSY pretty dope video by amoeba sisters. Try to understand the video.

Explanation(IK not trying to freak you out, its actually really simple once you get it. just trying to practice my expression, teaching is the best learning after all :D looks like an essay dont read it all unless you still can't get it ):
An Allele as you should recall is an alternative form of a gene. Organisms get one allele for each trait from each parent. This means they have two alleles, which may or may not be identical, for the same trait. 

The two alleles that an organism has for a trait(for example height) has can be represented with letters. For example TT means two tall alleles(It is homozygous for tall). Tt means one allele is for tall and the other allele is for short(It is heterozygous for tall). tt means the organism has two short alleles and it will be short(homozygous for short). The letters can vary depending on what is dominant e.g. SS if short was the dominant trait. Or Rr or Zz or whatever letter you want depending on what trait you are talking about.

A punnett square (which give the same result as a monohybrid cross) is when you write the two genotypes(that is tt or TT for example) on the sides of the box. Write down what you get when you cross the two letters together. These are the possible combinations for the offspring. (each box has a 25% chance of occurring) (see attached, really hard to explain with words.)

When you cross one purebreed tall TT and one purebreed tt(which Mendel did), you should get Tt, Tt, Tt, Tt (100% chance of Tt which means heterozygous for tall). This means the F1 generation only has the phenotype for Tall(the dominant trait.) (See attached for an example or watch the video)

When Mendel crosses Tt with another Tt plant, he got this:
TT, Tt, Tt and tt.(see attached) Remember Tt means it is heterzygous for tall which means it will be tall since tall is dominant. tt means it will be short. So there are 3 three Tall plants for every 1 short plant offspring (on average). hence the ratio 3:1. This means the F2 generation has a ratio of 3:1. This ratio represents dominant:recessive phenotypes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mendel's law of dominance is:

The two different alleles for the trait have to have one that one is dominant over the other. (only the dominant actually matters and the recessive is ignored in terms of expressing the trait(that is only the dominant allele affects the phenotype. Phenotype means the physical characteristic of the plant-not its genetics)). If there are two recessive alleles, for example, two short alleles,  the plant would express the short gene. that is it will be short.

For example, suppose there is only one gene that controls whether a plant is tall or short. Assume that tall is dominant. If the plant has one tall allele then it will be tall. It does not matter if the other allele is the short allele or if it is another tall allele in terms of the phenotype. There needs to be two short alleles for the plant to be short as the trait for shortness is recessive.

The law of segregation is:

Basically, Each trait(for example height) has only has one pair of alleles(Factors) that controls it(for example: either a short allele or a tall allele).

Factors of the same characteristic occur in pairs in an individual. 
These pairs separate at gamete formation. see attached.

Law of independent assortment:
Going back to my previous example, The plant can only have two alleles(both can be either tall or short) that influences that trait. There are no other alleles that influence the trait. For example, just imagine there are alleles for the colour of the leaves (either green or yellow). This does not affect how tall the plant is. This is because all genes have a different locus(location) on the chromosome.

You can inherit one trait without inheriting another. You can have a tall plant with a yellow leaves . The plant could also have green leaves.In fact, no other alleles affect how tall the plant is.

I would try to revise some monohybrid crosses to help you understand this better. It is much easier to learn with videos or pictures.
Everything I said is just Mendelian laws and it may not always apply for example a plant could blend the characteristics. e.g. Another species of plant with a tall allele and a short allele can be a medium height plant.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 01:42:38 pm by jasn9776 »
HSC 2018: English Adv(88) | Bio (90) | Phys(85) | Software Design (87) | 3U Math (41)

beeangkah

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #1106 on: March 05, 2018, 04:01:36 pm »
Hii,

I need help with this question - it asks, referring to the diagram:
What is the most likely mode of inheritance?

I got autosomal recessive, is it correct?

Thankss

jasn9776

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #1107 on: March 05, 2018, 04:19:11 pm »
+2
yeah could be, It is definitely recessive since it skips generations. Maybe its sex-linked since all daughters of an affected male are affected in the diagram(daughters get a X chromosome from their fathers). and there is no transmission from father to son. I know for the X-linked Recessive: sons get their X chromosome from their mothers only. This is confusing since there is no carriers labelled.

IDK oh well procrastinating in class :)

Edit:
well google says autosomal recessive
The MC1R recessive variant gene that gives people red hair generally results in skin that is unable to tan. ... This type of inheritance is described as an autosomal recessive mode of inheritance
Edit 2: Okay i really need to revise that isn't a child!!! that is the spouse!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 06:36:14 pm by jasn9776 »
HSC 2018: English Adv(88) | Bio (90) | Phys(85) | Software Design (87) | 3U Math (41)

theyam

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #1108 on: March 18, 2018, 02:34:57 pm »
Hi

Could someone help me with this dot point: process information to construct a flow chart that shows that changes in DNA sequences can result in changes in cell activity 
I tried searching it up but I didn't really understand it..

Thank you

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
  • All the world's a stage & this is my improvisation
  • Respect: +302
« Reply #1109 on: March 18, 2018, 03:46:48 pm »
Hi

Could someone help me with this dot point: process information to construct a flow chart that shows that changes in DNA sequences can result in changes in cell activity 
I tried searching it up but I didn't really understand it..

Thank you

Hi,
So basically a mutation in DNA can change cell function in this way
Mutation -> mRNA codons are altered due to changed DNA -> tRNA codons altered due to changed mRNA -> potentially different amino acids in the chain -> different polypeptide -> different protein -> different cell function
I do hope that makes sense  :)
HSC 2017: Advanced English [85] General Maths [92] Biology [96] Geography [92] Drama [86]

2018: Bachelor of Arts and Advanced Studies at University of Sydney

-- need a tutor for any of the subjects listed above?? I reckon I'm the girl! Just message me on ATAR notes or here--