Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 02:02:57 am

Author Topic: Actuarial studies as a pathway for investment banking?  (Read 5481 times)  Share 

alchemy

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +25
Actuarial studies as a pathway for investment banking?
« on: December 18, 2015, 12:02:50 pm »
By doing the Actuarial Studies course, will it equip me with the skills and requirements in order to obtain a career as an Investment Banker in the future? Or would majoring in Finance be more suitable for this?
I've also heard that doing a Commerce/Law double degree adds to credibility and gives better employment prospects but are there any other benefits in doing this?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 12:06:04 pm by alchemy »

Mc47

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2015
Re: Actuarial studies as a pathway for investment banking?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 12:22:14 pm »
+1
Don't really have any advice for you, but if you go on whirlpool and search 'investment banking', you'll find dozens of people who have asked the same questions before you. There's loads of information over there  :)

extremeftw

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +25
Re: Actuarial studies as a pathway for investment banking?
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 02:36:31 pm »
+2
 Firstly, are you sure you actually interested in investment banking? There are SO many people out there who see the big $$ that IB offers and suddenly they have their heart set on a job that they actually don't know anything about. If working 90 hours a week is unappealing to you, then don't bother.

As for your question, I can't see how actuarial science will be of benefit to you in anyway that a standard commerce major like Finance wouldn't be. From what I have researched, by the far the most common qualifications to enter IB is Commerce/Law, which is followed by Commerce with honours. I don't think IB firms care a huge deal about the specific degree you have, but rather that you can demonstrate a strong interest and aptitude with finance and that you are not socially retarded. That being said, if you can do really well in actuarial science then I'm sure that will impress recruiters as it is notoriously difficult.

Keep your options open though. IB is extremely competitive to enter, and it is quite a small field in Australia (relative to say, New York City or London).