Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 06:16:51 pm

Author Topic: Intro Microeconomics is HARD!  (Read 4814 times)  Share 

squance

Intro Microeconomics is HARD!
« on: August 21, 2008, 06:23:22 pm »
Hey.

I know its only 4th week of uni, but Im experiencing so much trouble understanding everything in Microeconomics....

I think I failed my mid semester test today (even though its only worth 5% but stilll....).

I thought Microeconomics was supposed to be a "bludge" subject...thats why I took it as breadth (since all the other subjects that were available as breadth for me seemed to much work and since I did not want to continue with another finance subject after finding FInance 1 a pain in the butt).

Can anyone (esp. past microeco students) give me advice on how to tackle this subject so that i feel like i understand the stuff instead of feeling lost?

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +17
Re: Intro Microeconomics is HARD!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 06:31:00 pm »
Try to apply intuition into microeconomics. At first, there are a few counter-intuitive concepts to overcome, specifically the opportunity cost and sunk costs. After this, microeconomics is just plain commonsense.

Bread becomes cheaper? So will toast. People will switch to bread instead of cereal, perhaps.

squance

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 06:43:19 pm »
Yeah I guess...but I have little commonsense :P

And I still find it hard applying some of the concepts...especially ones that involve calculations or working with numbers...eg: total benefit/total cost stuff, elasticity..

And a lot of the questions that I do involves too much thinking for me...it hurts my head and then I get confused... :(

bubble sunglasses

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 07:00:19 pm »

"The Armchair Economist" which i recently borrowed having re-read the thread below is very readable. It could fan an interest/understanding in the subject for you, [though i haven't studied eco formally so i'm not sure.]

http://vcenotes.com/forum/index.php/topic,3642.0.html