Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 03:14:18 pm

Author Topic: Commerce/Law  (Read 16168 times)  Share 

AllAboutTheLGs

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Goon King
  • Respect: +16
  • School: Glen Waverley Secondary College
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: Commerce/Law
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2012, 10:24:47 pm »
Pretty much everyone on TV that is a lawyer is instantly awesome. Marshall from How I met everyone but your Mother is awesome. Jeff from Community is also awesome.
Same thing could be said about doctors and Scrubs... haha
2013-2015: Bachelor of Biomedicine at The University of Melbourne

charmanderp

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +305
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2012, 10:29:13 pm »
Just curious, what's International Law like in a university medium? If one was interested in working for the UN and such...

lol every other law student starts law school thinking "I'm gonna do international law and work for the UN!"

in reality it's a very vague, theoretical area

you're going to need FAR more than a couple of undergraduate electives to get anywhere near the AN because it's super competitive

but here are some of the int law subjects offered at Monash
http://www.monash.edu.au/pubs/handbooks/units/LAW4122.html
http://www.monash.edu.au/pubs/handbooks/units/LAW5136.html
http://www.monash.edu.au/pubs/handbooks/units/LAW4184.html
http://www.monash.edu.au/pubs/handbooks/units/LAW4179.html
http://www.monash.edu.au/pubs/handbooks/units/LAW4155.html

(Image removed from quote.)

Actually I was thinking of a pathway beginning with an English/Politics double major in BArts, then combined honours, and then a JD with an elective focus on International Law, which I think is possible at UoM? Plus they have the partnership degree program with NYU where you can do two years of JD in Melbourne as well as two years in New York and earn two degrees...And then if I were to additionally do some sort of masters program in International Law? This is a bit of a dream pathway seeing as it would be ridiculously competitive, expensive and long, but what if?

I'm not really interested in working for the UN specifically, because I think the institution is heavily questionable in many regards, but some sort of international relations/politics field either in Australia or the US would be good. The UN was more of an example. What is a vessel, if I might ask?

From the viewpoint of a more creative arts kind of teenager, studying law seems like it could be tedious at times. The subjects on the JD compulsory electives page don't exactly fill me with excitement :p Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 10:36:57 pm by charmanderp »
University of Melbourne - Bachelor of Arts majoring in English, Economics and International Studies (2013 onwards)

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2012, 10:43:32 pm »
So...

Arts = 3 years
Double honours = 2 years
JD = 3 years
Masters = 1 year

you plan to be at uni for... 9 years?
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

charmanderp

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2012, 10:45:25 pm »
Maybe not the Masters right away haha. It's not hard to see why the Melbourne Model gets a lot of hate...I guess if I needed to in the end I could just spend three years in Arts, three years in the JD (should I actually get in) and then finish uni, and go back to do additional study if I ever need it.

Honours is only 1 year though.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 10:48:33 pm by charmanderp »
University of Melbourne - Bachelor of Arts majoring in English, Economics and International Studies (2013 onwards)

ninwa

« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2012, 10:46:34 pm »
Also I believe they're referring to a sea vessel since the international law is most commonly applied in regards to countries bitching with each other over international waters?

edit: the JD is more intensive than the LLB so if law already seems tedious to you then I recommend the law double degree if possible

charmanderp

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2012, 10:51:59 pm »
My problem is that I honestly don't think I'm mature enough to study Law next year. It's possibly an ignorant thing to say but in terms of how I apply myself to study and other characteristics that an LLB would require, I don't think I'm there yet. Plus I don't even know if I really want to do it. At this stage I'm probably more guided by what I'm passionate about and good at which would be literary studies, political science, music, etc, and I guess Arts works well there for me in terms of finding my feet after high school.

I suppose after I do Arts I could potentially weigh up between a JD and an LLB, also.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 11:12:58 pm by charmanderp »

ninwa

« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2012, 11:00:54 pm »
I'm honestly really impressed to hear that. Most people (including myself) don't have the ability to look at themselves objectively and consider whether they are actually ready to do what they're applying for.

It looks like arts is a good starting point for you then. The only issue I see with this is that you HAVE to maintain a high average and you HAVE to do the LSAT which is a pain in the butt. Also it's more risky because you never know if you'll even do well enough on the LSAT.

I'd recommend against double honours because it'll just add an unnecessary year onto your education and detract from your HECS allowance.

Yes honours is one year but if you're doing two honours then it's two years.

Had a quick look at the DFAT employment page: http://dfat.gov.au/jobs/graduates/index.html

Successful applicants will have a strong record of academic achievement and usually have honours, combined or higher degrees. However, academic qualifications are not the sole criterion for selection. Applicants will also be assessed on the quality of work experience, extra-curricular achievements and community activities.

In recent years DFAT graduates have had degrees in Antarctic Studies, Architecture, Arts, Asian Studies, Business, Commerce, Communications, Computer Science, Economics, International Relations, Language Studies, Law, Medicine and Science.

For the Corporate Graduate Program, the Department is seeking graduates with accounting, ICT and human resource management qualifications.

Also http://dfat.gov.au/jobs/index.html

charmanderp

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2012, 11:14:31 pm »
I'm kind of hoping that choosing majors that I'm excel in and enjoy would lead me to the scores required for postgraduate admission, given that I put in the work. How much preparation can one do for the LSAT?

I'm not entirely sure, but I think the Combined Honours program at UoM is just a single year.

The Bachelor of Arts (Honours) degree consists of 100 points of study in subjects at Fourth Year level. The course is available only on a full time basis.

Pure Honours usually consists of a thesis of 37.5 points and 62.5 points of coursework.

Combined Honours usually consists of a thesis of 37.5 points, 25 points of coursework in the department in which the thesis is undertaken, and 37.5 points of coursework in the combined area of study.

http://arts.unimelb.edu.au/futurestudents/honours-studies/

It sounds like it's simply not as intensive in a single subject as Pure Honours is, to allow it to fit into one year.

The DFAT program looks quite interesting...

Also, you wouldn't happen to know what kind of study would be appropriate for a human rights/ethics path way, would you?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 11:23:16 pm by charmanderp »

ninwa

« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2012, 09:23:04 am »
Ah my bad, did not know about this combined honours program.

I have no idea what the LSAT entails. But I think Eriny has done it and did very well - maybe shoot her a PM.
edit: also found this which looks useful Thinking of a Melbourne JD? LSAT discussion thread

I can't help you re: human rights/ethics unless you can be a bit more specific about what it is you actually want to do?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 09:27:43 am by ninwa »

ninwa

« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2012, 09:32:45 am »
+1
Also just wanted to address this

Why would you do a Law degree if you don't want to become a lawyer?

LAW DEGREE != LAWYER
In fact a large percentage of law students will never become lawyers and never intended to in the first place
*points at self as an example*

Quote from: http://www.atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=130339.0
What can I do if I don't want to be a lawyer?
Oh boy. So many things.

What you learn in a law degree is not so much the law (because that changes so frequently that by the time you're admitted to practice, you'll probably have to relearn a lot of the rules), but rather analytical skills and how to think outside the box. Employers value the skills that law graduates have.

According to Monash: http://law.monash.edu/future-students/undergraduate/career-outcomes.html
According to UoM: http://www.law.unimelb.edu.au/jd/becoming-a-lawyer/career-destinations
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 09:36:04 am by ninwa »

charmanderp

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2012, 03:53:40 pm »
Just curious, what do you want to do?

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2012, 04:04:40 pm »
you plan to be at uni for... 9 years?

I'll be at uni for 10-11 years. Real world is a horrible place.

ninwa

« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2012, 04:10:12 pm »
Just curious, what do you want to do?
No idea :) maybe something to do with government policy? I might not even use my law degree - am considering a number of completely different career changes atm.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 04:15:11 pm by ninwa »

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2012, 04:15:54 pm »
No but I do want to do academia, that's what'll take so long :(

tram

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2012, 11:36:51 pm »
Yeah as much as Suits is super badass, I don't think real lawyers are exactly like Harvey Spector :P.

WOOO! SUITS! The only time I've ever wanted to be a lawyer was after watching the show.
99% of the time, I'm 100% sure that I don't want to do law. Then I watch Suits again. Mind-boggled followed by ridiculous desire to be like Harvey.

I've said this on another thread, but i actually have the exact opposite reaction after i watch suits (don't get me wrong love the show) but it just make me realise that i make a horrible corporate lawyer haha

Also if anyone is looking for a similarish type of show, try 'house of lies' it's like suits, but for management consulting (what i want to do :D ) instead of law. Grossly inaccurate compared to what management consultants actually do, but highly entertaining. The characters aren't quite as likeable as in 'suits' though.