Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 02:50:35 pm

Author Topic: Differences between bachelor of biomed and bachelor of science?  (Read 49780 times)  Share 

Stick

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Sticky. :P
  • Respect: +467
Re: Differences between bachelor of biomed and bachelor of science?
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2013, 06:36:29 pm »
Also consider doing biomedicine at Monash if you are thinking about doing med later.  I can't speak for UOM (so do not know how they give their offers) but for monash post graduate pathway, they give majority of places to the biomedicine students studying at monash.  This is what i heard from someone studying at gippsland medical school.
I think that change is for 2015 entry, so definitely Monash Biomed > Monash Sci.

Sorry, I'm not sure if I'm quite following this. What do you mean?
2017-2020: Doctor of Medicine - The University of Melbourne
2014-2016: Bachelor of Biomedicine - The University of Melbourne

zvezda

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2013, 06:58:07 pm »
I think that change is for 2015 entry, so definitely Monash Biomed > Monash Sci.

I heard 2014???
ATAR: 99.80

zvezda

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2013, 06:59:12 pm »
+2
Sorry, I'm not sure if I'm quite following this. What do you mean?

Apparently theres a provisional entry scheme for med that theyre trying to implement at monash
ATAR: 99.80

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2013, 07:16:08 pm »
+2
For God's sakes do science instead of Biomed. The subjects are far harder in Biomed and they often mush together two large and complex subjects to make one super crazy subject that the entire cohort is afraid of failing. If i could choose again, id choose science.

To be fair, I have never seen students from any discipline whinge as much about subjects and academics as the current graduating class, so I'd take what the entire cohort says with a grain of salt -.-

Stick

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2013, 09:32:09 pm »
+2
Apparently theres a provisional entry scheme for med that theyre trying to implement at monash

Time to rearrange my preferences then. :P

Hancock

• SUPER ENGINEERING MAN
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +270
  • School: Ringwood Secondary College
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2013, 11:39:29 pm »
Has anyone heard of Monash moving to MD only? My mate there doing BSc said that he heard something about it.
Thinking of doing Engineering? - Engineering FAQs

2012 - 2014: B.Sc. - Mechanical Systems - The University of Melbourne
2014 - 2014: Cross-Institutional Study - Aero/Mech Engineering - Monash University
2015 - 2016: M.Eng (Mechanical with Business) - The University of Melbourne
2015 - Sem1: Exchange Semester - ETH Zurich

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2013, 11:42:32 pm »
+2
Has anyone heard of Monash moving to MD only? My mate there doing BSc said that he heard something about it.

There are rumours, but not anytime relevant for members here.

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2013, 11:52:58 pm »

Melbourne sell it as the natural progression. It's thought that they will, especially with the number of grad programmes popping up.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

sin0001

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2013, 12:19:34 am »
+2
I think there's a new graduate pathway into med. being implemented for monash's biomed. cohort starting 2014. On open day, they mentioned that  this pathway will allow 2nd year biomed. students, who maintain an average of atleast 70, to simply take the MMI interviews (no GAMSAT) and possibly receive a conditional offer for a graduate entry into med. depending on the combination of their uni. average & interview score ; students who receive the conditional offer will do selected subjects in their third year in Biomed. and start Med. the year after.
The amount of spots that'll be offered through this pathway are still being confirmed, according to Monash's Biomed. lecture on open day.
ATAR: 99.00
Monash Commerce Scholars

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2013, 08:25:27 am »
+3
At the end of the day, biomed is mostly the (successful) creation of a university marketing department. It mostly is just the repackaging of stuff you'd learn in science, it's not like they give you a felt robe and you join some secret society where you receive hidden wisdom. If you're doing neurophysiology in science, they won't leave out the neurons or anything silly like that. You'll be getting more or less the same stuff.

I think the cohort is a valid point. Putting that aside, in science you'll find the same content and much more freedom.

It's a simple fact there are many more people in biomed (not to mention science) than there are medical school places for. People will lose out. Science allows you much more flexibility to do what you want, totally change track and (at monash at least) take a lot of electives.

The Biology subject we do first year is much better because it skips over plants and allows you to go a little more in depth with human stuff.

Some people wouldn't count learning as a downside  :P

If its anything like monash (and i assume it is) it is really only a week or two out of the entire course. Just because it might not be necessarily useful doesn't mean it cant be enjoyable or important to learn. Same with stuff like evolution or animal diversity.

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research

psyxwar

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2013, 09:16:04 am »
Also consider doing biomedicine at Monash if you are thinking about doing med later.  I can't speak for UOM (so do not know how they give their offers) but for monash post graduate pathway, they give majority of places to the biomedicine students studying at monash.  This is what i heard from someone studying at gippsland medical school.
Yup, at Open Day they said as of 2014 graduate MBBS at Monash will take at least 50/75 from Monash Biomed.
VCE 2013-2014
MD/BMedSci 2015-2020

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2013, 03:47:35 pm »
Some people wouldn't count learning as a downside  :P

If its anything like monash (and i assume it is) it is really only a week or two out of the entire course. Just because it might not be necessarily useful doesn't mean it cant be enjoyable or important to learn. Same with stuff like evolution or animal diversity.

I may have betrayed a little bias there to be honest haha. We do have the opportunity to tackle most things in more depth though. The course is a little more fast paced :) I just saw the big advantage as no plant biol because I hate plants ;)
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

Stick

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2013, 05:07:30 pm »
+1
I think there's a new graduate pathway into med. being implemented for monash's biomed. cohort starting 2014. On open day, they mentioned that  this pathway will allow 2nd year biomed. students, who maintain an average of atleast 70, to simply take the MMI interviews (no GAMSAT) and possibly receive a conditional offer for a graduate entry into med. depending on the combination of their uni. average & interview score ; students who receive the conditional offer will do selected subjects in their third year in Biomed. and start Med. the year after.
The amount of spots that'll be offered through this pathway are still being confirmed, according to Monash's Biomed. lecture on open day.

I'm really keen to contact Monash to confirm this. Should I? It's going to make a fairly big difference to my preferences.

alondouek

• Subject Review God
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Oh to be a Gooner!
  • Respect: +316
  • School: Leibler Yavneh College
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2013, 05:17:33 pm »
+1
Absolutely get in contact with them! Better to hear any information from the actual institution than anyone else
2013-2016
Majoring in Genetics and Developmental Biology

2012 ATAR: 96.55
English [48] Biology [40]

Need a driving instructor? Mobility Driving School

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2013, 05:23:05 pm »
+1
There are rumours, but not anytime relevant for members here.

Didn't Monash and Melbourne sign a 99-year agreement that Monash cannot shift to the undergrad-postgrad model for its degrees as Melbourne has?