Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 19, 2024, 10:07:27 am

Author Topic: JMSS Entry For 2018  (Read 435760 times)  Share 

SquidsofDoom

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Re: JMSS Entry For 2018
« Reply #1080 on: July 29, 2017, 10:03:46 am »
There's different kinds of intelligence. Contrary to other's beliefs, I wouldn't even call myself intelligent or smart due to high standards XD

While some of you guys are figuring out the maths thing, I have a topic question. What do you guys think the future will be like?
Some of the things that I think will happen:
• The majority of the population will become YouTubers or 'instagram models'
• WW3 will occur with lethal, autonomous AI machines instead of human soldiers
• Antarctica will go down, along with precious resources, fresh water reservoirs and fossils
Hm, this is a tough one. I have noticed humanity is rather an interesting topic, because we can't learn from our mistakes. Like I'll give you an example: WWII. Most f our grandparents/great grandparents were alive during that time period, and they know the horrors of the war all too well. The next generation, although they were not a part of it, know the impacts and have a pretty good idea about how bad it was. But as the generations go on, it's horror will begin to deteriorate, and it might happen again. Luckily, the last world war before WWI was the Seven years war, which took place some 250 years ago. Now something else is like to point out: is it truly possible to obtain world peace. Like we should 100% strive for it and keep donating and stuff, but world peace is a stage where people are not wanting any power, and are happy with what they want, and is an egalitarianistic (equal) world. But humans are evidently drawn to power, and this is difficult. This is where my badasd Latin quote from earlier comes into play: si vis pacem, para bellum; he who wishes for peace, let him prepare for war. I'm a banana I'm such a pessimist, and I probably ruined your day with my negative thoughts but these are just some things I've been thinking about.
Shre nazg golugranu kilmi-nudu
Ombi kuzddurbagu gundum-ishi
Nugu gurunkilu bard gurutu
Ash Burz-Durbagu burzum-ishi
Daghburz-ishi makha gulshu darulu
Ash nazg durbatulūk
ash nazg gimbatul,
ash nazg thrakatulūk
agh burzum-ishi krimpatul

Shadestache

• Forum Obsessive
  • Call me Shades
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #1081 on: July 29, 2017, 12:49:33 pm »
Hm, this is a tough one. I have noticed humanity is rather an interesting topic, because we can't learn from our mistakes. Like I'll give you an example: WWII. Most f our grandparents/great grandparents were alive during that time period, and they know the horrors of the war all too well. The next generation, although they were not a part of it, know the impacts and have a pretty good idea about how bad it was. But as the generations go on, it's horror will begin to deteriorate, and it might happen again. Luckily, the last world war before WWI was the Seven years war, which took place some 250 years ago. Now something else is like to point out: is it truly possible to obtain world peace. Like we should 100% strive for it and keep donating and stuff, but world peace is a stage where people are not wanting any power, and are happy with what they want, and is an egalitarianistic (equal) world. But humans are evidently drawn to power, and this is difficult. This is where my badasd Latin quote from earlier comes into play: si vis pacem, para bellum; he who wishes for peace, let him prepare for war. I'm a banana I'm such a pessimist, and I probably ruined your day with my negative thoughts but these are just some things I've been thinking about.

Although I'm a realist, I agree with the pessimistic side of the future. Peace does not exist. There are billions of people with billions of different opinions, so there will always be several sides. Learning about the impacts of war and the aftermath is different to experiencing it yourself. Our generation takes things for granted and that's the problem.

Our reality is going to become like '1984'. As tech advances, human avarice is only going to exacerbate. People will want to watch our every step and every word we say. Our privacy will no longer be respected, but instead violated. 
When faced with a problem, you either find a way or an excuse.

quinn_03

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #1082 on: July 29, 2017, 01:22:41 pm »

I agree, I think that the notion of world peace is impressionable and nice to think about and strive towards, but realistically, it's wholly unattainable. (that makes me feel so depressed about humanity)

Although I'm a realist, I agree with the pessimistic side of the future. Peace does not exist. There are billions of people with billions of different opinions, so there will always be several sides. Learning about the impacts of war and the aftermath is different to experiencing it yourself. Our generation takes things for granted and that's the problem.

Our reality is going to become like '1984'. As tech advances, human avarice is only going to exacerbate. People will want to watch our every step and every word we say. Our privacy will no longer be respected, but instead violated. 

Have you read 1984? I love that book, so innovative and enlightening. And it's scary because it seems we are heading in the same direction. I think as we progress and discover further technological innovations and the like, well become more reliant on it, and most of our lives will take place online, which makes me really scared about cybersafety and all that.

This is a really great intelligent discussion, guys, keep it up!  :D
2020 VCE
English [raw 50 + 60/60 exam score]
Literature [48]

Offering 2021 English and Literature tutoring + resources!

Shadestache

• Forum Obsessive
  • Call me Shades
« Reply #1083 on: July 29, 2017, 02:30:39 pm »
Have you read 1984? I love that book, so innovative and enlightening. And it's scary because it seems we are heading in the same direction. I think as we progress and discover further technological innovations and the like, well become more reliant on it, and most of our lives will take place online, which makes me really scared about cybersafety and all that.

Like you said (and pretty much everyone who has read the book), our world is heading in the same direction as '1984'. Set in a dystopian world, it conveys so many strong themes that seem absurd, yet ironically, it is becoming our reality. The media has so much power when it comes to brainwashing and manipulating people. They only show what they want you to see. Our lives may be more convenient with the help of AIs, but there will probably be hidden camera or microphones that the company or government can use to monitor people. I agree that our lives will probably take place online more in the future, so this risks of cybersafety and identify theft are only going to increase. Freedom and privacy may not exist in the future. 

It's sad how the world runs on money. In society, the amount of money you make is supposedly what determines your social value. Venal people will readily accept bribes, manipulate people and steal to make themselves rich. And that sucks. That's why peace can never exist. People will fight for power and money.

By the way, our English language is going down the drain :')
You have all this urban slang (fleek, lit, godchurch??). Ah, humanity is cringey. Our future is screwed XD
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 02:53:26 pm by Shadestache »

quinn_03

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1084 on: July 30, 2017, 10:04:57 am »
Like you said (and pretty much everyone who has read the book), our world is heading in the same direction as '1984'. Set in a dystopian world, it conveys so many strong themes that seem absurd, yet ironically, it is becoming our reality. The media has so much power when it comes to brainwashing and manipulating people. They only show what they want you to see. Our lives may be more convenient with the help of AIs, but there will probably be hidden camera or microphones that the company or government can use to monitor people. I agree that our lives will probably take place online more in the future, so this risks of cybersafety and identify theft are only going to increase. Freedom and privacy may not exist in the future. 

It's sad how the world runs on money. In society, the amount of money you make is supposedly what determines your social value. Venal people will readily accept bribes, manipulate people and steal to make themselves rich. And that sucks. That's why peace can never exist. People will fight for power and money.

By the way, our English language is going down the drain :')
You have all this urban slang (fleek, lit, godchurch??). Ah, humanity is cringey. Our future is screwed XD

Great points there. I wish the world was different. Everyone is so superficial and power-hungry it makes me sick. And i think the ever-growing permanence of technology is only going to make things worse. (this makes me feel so bad about being human)
2020 VCE
Literature [48]

GalacticProcess

• Forum Obsessive
  • The key to success, is failure.
  • Respect: +139
« Reply #1085 on: July 30, 2017, 12:34:55 pm »
Get excited guys!
The JMSS email for you guys could get sent out tomorrow!

Shadestache

• Forum Obsessive
  • Call me Shades
« Reply #1086 on: July 30, 2017, 12:40:55 pm »
Get excited guys!

I'd rather be a realist than an optimist XD
Instead of getting excited now, I'll do it when I get the email :PP

Dr.Dendra

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1087 on: July 30, 2017, 12:41:33 pm »

Get excited guys!
Exciting!!!!

jz27

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #1088 on: July 30, 2017, 01:05:27 pm »
I agree, it would be anticlimactic if u open the inbox and find nothing there.
2020: Chinese SLA [34-> ~43]
2021 (raw): English [42] Spesh [43] Methods [45] Chem [40] Physics [41]

ATAR: 99.30
UCAT: 3240 (99th)
Studying Medicine at Monash University

Currently taking students for 2023 selective school entry exam, email [email protected] for more details

Running a free selective schools information session on the 17th of July. Email for more details!

quinn_03

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1089 on: July 30, 2017, 02:44:17 pm »

oh god, I almost forgot.  :'( :'(
2020 VCE
Literature [48]

emonerd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #1090 on: July 30, 2017, 08:11:23 pm »
oh god, I almost forgot.  :'( :'(
I'm so nervous omg, i feel like it's definitely gonna come tomorrow ahhhh
2019 -Biology
2020- Chem, Methods, Spec, English and Literature

SquidsofDoom

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1091 on: July 30, 2017, 08:14:41 pm »
I'm so nervous omg, i feel like it's definitely gonna come tomorrow ahhhh
in most probablity it will. I don't know why, but Monday seems like a good day to send the emails out. Either that or wednesday
Shre nazg golugranu kilmi-nudu
Ombi kuzddurbagu gundum-ishi
Nugu gurunkilu bard gurutu
Ash Burz-Durbagu burzum-ishi
Daghburz-ishi makha gulshu darulu
Ash nazg durbatulūk
ash nazg gimbatul,
ash nazg thrakatulūk
agh burzum-ishi krimpatul

emonerd

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1092 on: July 30, 2017, 08:48:14 pm »
this is a bit random haha but what are your opinions on genetically engineered babies? I personally think it's a good idea because many diseases and illnesses which are passed down genetically can be detected and altered so that the child would live a happy life but I think in the wrong hands it could potentially be dangerous? Not to mention, giving people the power to choose what their offspring looked like wouldn't be a great idea in my eyes. What do you guys think ? >_<
2019 -Biology

Shadestache

• Forum Obsessive
  • Call me Shades
« Reply #1093 on: July 30, 2017, 08:58:38 pm »
this is a bit random haha but what are your opinions on genetically engineered babies? I personally think it's a good idea because many diseases and illnesses which are passed down genetically can be detected and altered so that the child would live a happy life but I think in the wrong hands it could potentially be dangerous? Not to mention, giving people the power to choose what their offspring looked like wouldn't be a great idea in my eyes. What do you guys think ? >_<

Ooh! CRISPR and Designer Babies!
Although it's beneficial in that the baby can be altered (so that it can be resistant to various diseases and become smarter), I'm don't fully support it. I also don't like the idea of people having the power to choose what their child looks like. Natural diversity should be appreciated, not superficial expectations and desires. The thing that makes individuals unique is how different they are to everyone else. By allowing people to play around with the phenotypes of their offspring, it doesn't feel as genuine. Families should appreciate their connections with each other, not their looks.

This process is not entirely safe yet and it is expensive. It's going to become the case of: rich people will have these super-babies, while the poor have average babies. I don't believe in giving these unfair disadvantages. A child should have to work their way through life. Everyone is full of flaws. Some people are teased/bullied for their looks, and some aren't as talented as others. It is motivation, perseverance and effort that make people become talented in what they do. By genetically engineering babies, it kind of feels like cheating.

emonerd

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1094 on: July 30, 2017, 09:02:35 pm »
Ooh! CRISPR and Designer Babies!
Although it's beneficial in that the baby can be altered (so that it can be resistant to various diseases and become smarter), I'm don't fully support it. I also don't like the idea of people having the power to choose what their child looks like. Natural diversity should be appreciated, not superficial expectations and desires. The thing that makes individuals unique is how different they are to everyone else. By allowing people to play around with the phenotypes of their offspring, it doesn't feel as genuine. Families should appreciate their connections with each other, not their looks.

This process is not entirely safe yet and it is expensive. It's going to become the case of: rich people will have these super-babies, while the poor have average babies. I don't believe in giving these unfair disadvantages. A child should have to work their way through life. Everyone is full of flaws. Some people are teased/bullied for their looks, and some aren't as talented as others. It is motivation, perseverance and effort that make people become talented in what they do. By genetically engineering babies, it kind of feels like cheating.
exactly !! you should only be able to genetically modify a baby if it's life or wellbeing is on the line. I feel that if we were able to 'design' our babies, it would be too superficial and quite frankly doesn't have any real benefits, other than social factors. I don't know though the whole concept of genetic engineering sounds so intriguing!
2019 -Biology