Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 17, 2024, 02:11:54 am

Author Topic: VCE English Question Thread  (Read 856660 times)  Share 

Elizawei

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +42
Re: VCE English Question Thread
« Reply #1095 on: April 27, 2016, 08:08:43 pm »
Hey, got a quick question.
Which method of language analysis is the "safest" way? For example we could write them in chronological order, order by arguments, order by persuasive devices, etc.

ATAR: 99.70
2017-2019: Bachelor of Biomedicine
2020-2023: Melbourne MD

Founder of Folding Our Futures
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Offering  Chemistry/Bio 3/4 tutoring for 2019! [raw 49, 47] PM me if interested :)

HopefulLawStudent

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +168
« Reply #1096 on: April 27, 2016, 08:34:02 pm »
DON'T DO IT IN CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 08:47:45 pm by HopefulLawStudent »

vor0005

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +5
  • School Grad Year: 2015
« Reply #1097 on: April 27, 2016, 08:47:56 pm »
+1
Which method of language analysis is the "safest" way? For example we could write them in chronological order, order by arguments, order by persuasive devices, etc.

Arguments are by far the best way to structure.

Why?
It helps you analyse the intended effect precisely as you just link how the technique/device positions audiences to adopt the particular argument your paragraph is based on (with a bit more specificity to the technique and quote, of course).

Additionally, you know exactly where you will analyse each visual image - simply analyse the image in the argument (paragraph) that it matches. Same thing goes with comments or anything else that VCAA throws at you. Just put it in the argument that it fits.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 08:51:19 pm by vor0005 »
VCE English Tutoring 2016 - RAW 50 Study Score

2014: Biology [41]
2015: English [50] , Psychology [43] , Legal Studies [41]  , Mathematical Methods , Economics

ATAR: 97.25

rosecookiie

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #1098 on: April 27, 2016, 09:54:36 pm »
I'm in Year 11 and I just can't seem to finish my essays in the 100 minutes we have for the SAC. For both my text response and Language analysis pieces I didn't finish, barely starting my conclusion. Any tips for improving? Time management is my biggest weakness when it comes to English
Petit a petit, l’oiseau fait son nid

Ameliajanem

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1099 on: April 28, 2016, 12:05:32 pm »
My teacher wants me to write an essay on the prompt

"In stasiland, funder exposes a world both cruel and absurd" discuss

I can't think of any counter argument for this? Can someone help
2016: Biology (46) -Psychology (45) -English (42)
2017: Legal Studies - Global Politics - Australian Politics

upandgo

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #1100 on: April 28, 2016, 05:24:56 pm »
+1
My teacher wants me to write an essay on the prompt

"In stasiland, funder exposes a world both cruel and absurd" discuss

I can't think of any counter argument for this? Can someone help

hey! im studying stasiland too and i recall writing on a prompt similar to this  :) as a counter argument, maybe you can argue that funder does reveal a cruel and absurd world to readers, however the impacts of these cruelties and absurdities on its people (eg, frau paul, miriam, the ex-stasi operatives, etc) ultimately position readers to conclude that funder exposes a world that is damaged and broken despite the regime's collapse. if that doesnt make sense let me know and i'll explain in more detail!
2015: Biology | Accounting
2016: English [44] | Mathematical Methods (CAS) | Business Management | Legal Studies

Elizawei

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1101 on: April 28, 2016, 10:18:18 pm »
Haha thanks HLS and vor0005 :D
Lovin' that huge font  ;D :P

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Offering  Chemistry/Bio 3/4 tutoring for 2019! [raw 49, 47] PM me if interested :)

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Resident English/Lit Nerd
  • Respect: +1423
« Reply #1102 on: April 29, 2016, 10:25:11 am »
+2
Thanks so much Lauren, think I understand where you're coming from! And sorry I didn't make the task clearer :)

The text is the Wife of Martin Guerre. Although the idea of control isn't prominent, I want to show that it in fact is! e.g. Being controlled/ restricted in a society. I was hoping to base the creative piece on rowing (heaps of control needed there  :P) and the rower seeing someone take his/ her life which obviously has a huge impact. I want to make the connection between my piece and the text strong but I can't express myself clearly though, especially in the written statement. Or should I write about conflict? Conflict doesn't fit my creative piece idea though...

Totally lost and appreciate your guidance  ;D
That seems alright to me, but I'd say try to align messages and not just themes. The idea of 'being controlled' might be a bit too broad, which is why you may be struggling to make the connections to the text clear. So consider what Lewis is saying about control, and then either reinforce, build up, or critique that notion. I'm not entirely sure which aspect of 'control' in the text you're looking at, but the more specific you can be, the easier you'll find it to forge a connection.

Hi
Just a general question about text response, do we need to include the authorial voice because originally I thought we were meant to write about the novel not actually including what the author is trying to express? I'm so lost and my sac is tomorrow :(
Both are crucial. You are mainly looking at the details in the text, but the whole point of doing so is to consider what the author is trying to say, meaning that you should aim to comment on the authorial voice within your paragraphs at some point (or preferably at the end.)

This is gonna be one of them 'it depends' questions I feel but in general, what is better with context: one-two sources of evidence/example (e.g a film) to be used throughout an expository essay or many smaller examples? I've been predominantly going with the numerous small examples but from reading over my work it seems like it is preventing me from going into depth with the discussion; i.e using the example to point out the obvious part of the idea I am exploring.
I'm on the 'fewer examples but more depth' side of the fence, but yeah, it depends :P

But I can be a bit more specific: it depends on:
a) your own strengths
b) the nature of your examples
c) the prompt's breadth

What do you mean by safest? Because the chronological method is objectively simplest (i.e. you don't have to put any effort into thinking about where to start; you can kick of with analysis straight away). However, because it's so dependent on the material, you might end up with something as horrific as the 2011 Exam (or some of the samples I wrote last year :P) and you'll likely have a tough time compiling it all neatly. Also, if you look through the most recent VCAA exams, you'll notice that the authors' focus shifts throughout the piece such that what's being discussed at the start of page 1 is the same as the middle of page 2. And the way they conclude has links to the stuff mentioned in their third paragraph. So if you're going through totally chronologically, you either have to repeat yourself, or ditch potential analysis opportunities to avoid repeating yourself.

The chronological approach may have sufficed in earlier years ('08-'13, excluding '11) but nowadays, I kind of see it as a recipe for disaster.

And by disaster, I mean a mid-range mark :P So if you're only looking to get yourself across the line in English, or need an easy method to suit your strengths, then it might do. But I tend to advocate against it by default.

It's still a good last resort; it just shouldn't be your first resort!

Structuring by devices just seems bizarre to me; I don't know how anyone can do that sensibly without turning their piece into a jumbled mess.

Structuring by arguments/ key players is my best advice (mainly for the reasons vor has mentioned above) but also because it's kind of what the assessors are looking for nowadays. When you read the assessor's report, you see that they emphasise, amongst other things:
Quote from: VCAA 2014
• There was no expected manner in which the pieces were to be analysed and most students began by analysing the first piece then analysing the second. The more successful responses made insightful analytical comparisons, focusing on such things as tone, structure and, most importantly, the language used by the two writers.

• Successful responses were able to show the inherent connection between the general ideas of each piece and the language used to present those views.

• Some students offered topic sentences that suggested they were searching for particular ‘techniques’, with little regard to the instructions for this section: ‘How is written and visual language used in the newspaper article and the letter to attempt to persuade readers to share the points of view presented in them?’ Simply identifying techniques demonstrates a limited approach to this task.

Quote from: VCAA 2015
• It is important for students to be aware of the intentions of speakers in respect to the contention

• High-scoring students found an appropriate balance between the two speeches and between analysis of the visual language and written language.

I'm in Year 11 and I just can't seem to finish my essays in the 100 minutes we have for the SAC. For both my text response and Language analysis pieces I didn't finish, barely starting my conclusion. Any tips for improving? Time management is my biggest weakness when it comes to English

Some hints here :)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 10:28:21 am by literally lauren »

Señor

« Reply #1103 on: April 29, 2016, 10:43:42 am »
I dont know if this is the right board or not. Im answering an essay question right now and the question is a 'to what extent' type of question. I have forgotten how to properly answer this haha. Can you say to a high or low extent? How do you explain the between of high and low? So basically how do you say 50% type of extent :')

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1104 on: April 29, 2016, 11:59:45 am »
I dont know if this is the right board or not. Im answering an essay question right now and the question is a 'to what extent' type of question. I have forgotten how to properly answer this haha. Can you say to a high or low extent? How do you explain the between of high and low? So basically how do you say 50% type of extent :')
(Assuming this is VCE English related?) if it's asking 'to what extent' you agree, then it's just a standard prompt.

E.g. 'The novel suggests betrayal is impossible to truly overcome. To what extent do you agree?'

But it'd be no different if it said Discuss. or Do you agree. And if you want to be on the safe side, you should never be 100% agreeing or 100% disagreeing, OR 50% both ways. The latter implies that you don't know the text well enough to make a judgement call on how true that statement is, and it can make your essay feel a bit directionless if you say 'umm... it's true to some extent, but also not really' :P

Though since you graduated last year, I'm guessing this is a uni-related question, in which case the answer will depend on what kind of subject you're taking and what the task requirements are :)

Elizawei

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1105 on: April 29, 2016, 12:13:56 pm »
Thanks Lauren!
By "key players", do you mean the main components of the article? Like for example in last year's LA the key players would have been Bigsplash, volunteering, and the Tradies without borders?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1106 on: April 29, 2016, 12:23:29 pm »
Thanks Lauren!
By "key players", do you mean the main components of the article? Like for example in last year's LA the key players would have been Bigsplash, volunteering, and the Tradies without borders?
Yes, though sometimes you can go for more 'abstract' key players that are based on ideas rather than tangible groups or people.

See: the key on these sample annotations

Also, there's no 'correct' 3 or 4 key players you're required to find; it's all about what you believe to be the most important components of the author's argument.

Elizawei

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1107 on: April 29, 2016, 06:07:31 pm »
Yes, though sometimes you can go for more 'abstract' key players that are based on ideas rather than tangible groups or people.

See: the key on these sample annotations

Also, there's no 'correct' 3 or 4 key players you're required to find; it's all about what you believe to be the most important components of the author's argument.

Thanks Lauren! One last question haha  :-X :
are we allowed to use personal anecdotes for our context essay? I read an example where someone talked about her grandparents living under the rule of Pol Pot, and weaving it into her context essay for encountering conflict. So in that case, are we allowed to use personal pronouns?

Thanks again  ;D

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1108 on: April 29, 2016, 06:15:25 pm »
+1
Thanks Lauren! One last question haha  :-X :
are we allowed to use personal anecdotes for our context essay? I read an example where someone talked about her grandparents living under the rule of Pol Pot, and weaving it into her context essay for encountering conflict. So in that case, are we allowed to use personal pronouns?

Thanks again  ;D
You can use personal anecdotes, so long as they're not "petty personal anecdotes" à la:
'My mate and me had a fight the other day but now we're mates again. This shows how conflict can be resolved sometimes.' :P

But you can definitely use personal pronouns, regardless of the evidence you're using. Often it's just easier to say 'we' and 'us' rather than 'people' or 'one,' and you're totally free to do that in Context; just not in Text Response or Language Analysis.

Elizawei

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1109 on: April 29, 2016, 08:34:50 pm »
Thanks Lauren!!!! <3  ;D

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~