Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 30, 2024, 03:09:34 am

Author Topic: VCE English Question Thread  (Read 854310 times)  Share 

HopefulLawStudent

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +168
Re: VCE English Question Thread
« Reply #1365 on: September 11, 2016, 12:07:49 pm »
+2
Um, this isn't really one of the high scoring ones, but it's from Lauren's (so 'high scoring' in essence  :P) blogpost on language analysis structure:

"...praise was welcome, it shouldn't be an expected part of..." (from her sample intro)

Also, I've done a bit more digging and I've found that a similar question was asked a few pages back. Someone answered that it's okay as along as it doesn't "mar your clarity". Can someone please second this? Also, is it just a L.A thing?

Your exam is marked HOLISTICALLY.

No assessor is ever gonna be like "ooooh that wrote 'isn't' instead of 'is not'. This essay would have been a 10/10 if you had but since you didn't... I'll give you a 3/10." So long as it does not impede clarity and it isnt dead obvious (i.e. you aren't using a colloquialism/informal word for every three words you write), you should be fine.

Also, Lauren will probably second this whenever she sees this but no essay is perfect irrespective of what the person who wrote it ended up getting in terms of study scores. As such, while I'm sure as hell that her essay is hella awesome (cos y'know Lauren is just hella awesome full stop), it will still have it's good points and bad points so don't take her essay (or anyone's essay really) as a "THIS IS A PERFECT ESSAY. EVERYTHING SHE DOES MUST BE 100% CORRECT."

Hydraulix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Melbourne High School
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #1366 on: September 11, 2016, 04:04:35 pm »
Hey peeps

"While we deplore Medea's actions, we find little sympathy for Jason? Do you agree

For the prompt above are we supposed to accept the "we deplore Medea's actions" part and write our text response regarding the second part. or are we allowed to argue the first part

Thankssss

goodbye

« Reply #1367 on: September 11, 2016, 04:51:51 pm »
+2
Hey peeps

"While we deplore Medea's actions, we find little sympathy for Jason? Do you agree

For the prompt above are we supposed to accept the "we deplore Medea's actions" part and write our text response regarding the second part. or are we allowed to argue the first part

Thankssss

Nope, you can disagree with the we deplore part. Kind of treat the "while we...sympathy for Jason" part as a statement, if that makes it easier.

Hydraulix

• Adventurer
  • School: Melbourne High School
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #1368 on: September 11, 2016, 06:14:55 pm »
Two more questions for text response:

Can I use "we" in regard to how the text makes us feel?

Should I instead be saying that "Euripides positions the audience to...."

Thanks guys
(and thanks goodbye for the speedy response)

Maz

• West Australian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #1369 on: September 11, 2016, 06:17:49 pm »
+2
Two more questions for text response:

Can I use "we" in regard to how the text makes us feel?

Should I instead be saying that "Euripides positions the audience to...."

Thanks guys
(and thanks goodbye for the speedy response)
I would say write 'positions the audience to...', there is nothing 'wrong' with saying we, but when discussing the positioning of people in general,it sounds better to say audience. When it asks for your reader response, use I.
Just my opinion though, both are fine  :)
2016: Methods | Chem | Physics | Accounting | Literature

goodbye

« Reply #1370 on: September 13, 2016, 02:37:34 pm »
 Hello! I have a question about the new study design, specifically regarding the new language analysis. Within the study design it says "how this may strengthen or detract from the intended impact". Does this essentially mean we have to say if a text is persuasive or not? One of the key skills is also to "critique ideas presented in the arguments". Also, since there's a new emphasis on author's intent, should it be wise to include this within introductions?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 02:43:11 pm by goodbye »

larissaaa_

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1371 on: September 13, 2016, 11:35:40 pm »
"we are never without hope even in the most difficult conflicts"

I'm really struggling to think of three sub-arguments to base my paragraphs around, does anyone have any suggestions? My text is Every man in this village is a liar but any help with historical examples and stuff I could use would be much appreciated  :)

HopefulLawStudent

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +168
« Reply #1372 on: September 17, 2016, 01:34:27 pm »
"we are never without hope even in the most difficult conflicts"

I'm really struggling to think of three sub-arguments to base my paragraphs around, does anyone have any suggestions? My text is Every man in this village is a liar but any help with historical examples and stuff I could use would be much appreciated  :)

Well, what have you got so far?

EmileeSmith

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1373 on: September 17, 2016, 02:42:41 pm »
how do you talk about context in an essay

FallingStar

• Forum Obsessive
  • Be yourself and be your best self.
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #1374 on: September 18, 2016, 05:22:04 pm »
how do you talk about context in an essay

I have to assume you're talking about Text Response.
It depends. You will need to mention it in your introduction somewhere. And perhaps in you body paragraphs. I know the answer is very general and because this is an online forum and you do need to give us more specific information so that we can give you a better answer.

EmileeSmith

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1375 on: September 18, 2016, 05:30:54 pm »
my teacher says to give context when introducing a text in an essay, she explained to me about what context is but I still don't understand? like do you talk about the history of the novel or author? or do you talk about the location of the set scene in the text???

and also in an essay, my teacher tells us to talk about what happens before a quote and the scene for example in Away, my teacher tells us to write something like 'In Away,  Act 3, Scene 2, Coral goes up to Tom and says, "quote", but isn't this retelling? should I use this or not
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 05:34:11 pm by EmileeSmith »

Coffee

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +322
« Reply #1376 on: September 18, 2016, 07:07:12 pm »
+3
my teacher says to give context when introducing a text in an essay, she explained to me about what context is but I still don't understand? like do you talk about the history of the novel or author? or do you talk about the location of the set scene in the text???

and also in an essay, my teacher tells us to talk about what happens before a quote and the scene for example in Away, my teacher tells us to write something like 'In Away,  Act 3, Scene 2, Coral goes up to Tom and says, "quote", but isn't this retelling? should I use this or not

Don't talk about the history of the novel or author, it isn't necessary and it won't gain you any marks. Context can be helpful but it should be brief and to the point. For example, if you're talking about Medea, you might want to mention that it is set within a patriarchal society and make a distinction between the ancient Greek audience and modern audiences (and how this affects the interpretation of the text). Another good example can be found in the 2014 English examination report with the example of Stasiland which writes: "In Anna Funder's exploration into the oppressive and restrictive reign of communism in what was the GDR...", or something along the lines of 'Set against the backdrop of...

As for the example of retelling, I would think this is fine so long as its followed up by analysis which should constitute the majority of your essay. You definitely shouldn't be writing extensively about what happens before a quote but the example you gave seems fine.

tim.wells

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #1377 on: September 18, 2016, 09:22:41 pm »
+1

I agree with Coffee here, you don't want to get too caught up in the minutia of the background of your text, however you want to breifly set up the context for further discussion — this is especially important if the context is an important feature of the text you are studying. For instance, a previous English text was Ransom by David Malouf, which was derived from Homer's Iliad, this had a lot of bearing on further discussion of the novel and that's why it would be resourceful to include references in the introduction touching on this. To see this in action, have a read of the shortened introduction and body paragraphs below:

"David Malouf has explored many concepts concerning courage in order to fully encapsulate its meaning within his poetic retell of Homer’s Iliad , Ransom. To Malouf, courage is determined through acts of valour and bravery; it also involves the notion of humility, a recurring motif within Ransom. Juxtaposing the classical mythology of the Iliad, Malouf’s understanding of courage is not centred on feats of military prowess but rather explores courage as an expression of humanity. This contrast is a central focus throughout the text as we witness those who would once be considered to possess courage portrayed as the most flawed individuals within Ransom ..."

And then you can use these references as touchstones throughout your essay, for example:

"Achilles, hero of the Iliad and quintessential embodiment of power and the ‘warrior spirit’ is introduced to readers within Ransom ‘hunker[ing] down… shoulders hunched’. Initially he is presented as a man who is ‘listening for the voice of his mother tasting the sharp salt’ of his reality without her on ‘his lip’. Hardly an impenetrable hero he is ‘darkly divided’. In the aftermath of the loss of his ‘soul mate’, Patroclus, Achilles is inconsolable, indeed we witness ‘his soul change colour’ ... Similarly, Heracles, a figure from Priam’s early history and renowned as “the labourer of the gods” in other texts, too is a “traditional” hero. Yet ‘the whole terrible machinery of the man’ is just ‘rank meatiness’ and is unable to comprehend Hesione’s act of compassion – rather he thought she would ‘choose some gaudy trinket’ than save her brother. He is made to look both ‘brutish’ and ‘foolish’ before Hesione and her great act of courage. It is through this exchange that Malouf, unlike his predecessor, suggests that acts of bravery do not always belong to the physically commanding and powerful but also reside with the meek and uncelebrated."

So I think the main takeaway is that context can be a useful tool, as long as it is done subtly and you never stray too far from your contention. Examiners are on the lookout for pre-prepared responses. So be careful of this, they want originality, and I think this will occur if you always keep the prompt in the forefront of your mind when including context. For instance, in the above example, the prompt is clearly about courage, and therefore context can be used to illustrate how courage is perceived in our society, as compared to what it was when the Iliad was first written.
Tim Wells

Law undergrad at Monash University

ATAR- 99.20
English Tutor - English (48), Literature (47), Australian History (47), Economics (45), Legal Studies (38), Maths Methods (31)

Get more answers for your questions as well as weekly tips and blog posts, from my friends and I at:

HSC - http://bit.ly/HSChelp
VCE - http://bit.ly/VCEhelp

EmileeSmith

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1378 on: September 18, 2016, 09:33:57 pm »
ohh that makes sense, but what if you cant make the context link to the question ??

tim.wells

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #1379 on: September 19, 2016, 08:27:32 am »
+2
ohh that makes sense, but what if you cant make the context link to the question ??

I think it's a skill that you just need to practise, I found when I practised writing text responses I would break them down into different components and just focus on getting that one aspect right for a period of time. So for instance here, this would mean looking at as many practise questions as possible and finding/writing connections to the context.

But after doing this, if you still feel unsure. Then I recommend including a sentence regarding context in your intro
Tim Wells

Law undergrad at Monash University

ATAR- 99.20
English Tutor - English (48), Literature (47), Australian History (47), Economics (45), Legal Studies (38), Maths Methods (31)

Get more answers for your questions as well as weekly tips and blog posts, from my friends and I at:

HSC - http://bit.ly/HSChelp
VCE - http://bit.ly/VCEhelp