Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 30, 2024, 03:33:40 am

Author Topic: VCE English Question Thread  (Read 854317 times)  Share 

HopefulLawStudent

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +168
Re: VCE English Question Thread
« Reply #1605 on: October 25, 2016, 02:26:59 pm »
Should we throw in textual references early for context?

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Resident English/Lit Nerd
  • Respect: +1423
« Reply #1606 on: October 25, 2016, 02:33:36 pm »
+1
Should we throw in textual references early for context?
Sooner rather than later is preferred, just so that the assessors can see that you're starting from the text (as a "springboard") and working out to bigger, broader ideas, vs. them waiting till the end to discern the connection :)

Daniellac

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Kilvington
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #1607 on: October 25, 2016, 02:38:41 pm »
NEED HELP!

I'm always saying, in Language Analysis, the author APPEALS to... or ATTEMPTS to ....

Are there any other ways of saying what they are trying to do as I know I can't say they MAKE the reader feel something!!

Thankyou in advance!

FatimaEl

• Forum Regular
  • 💕📒✏️💕
« Reply #1608 on: October 25, 2016, 02:39:28 pm »
+2
Somewhat irrelevant to the discussions happening at the moment, but this forum has reached 100k reads!!! Right before the english exam  ;D
2015: Further Mathematics
2016: English | Biology | Psychology | Health & Human Dev. | Text & Traditions
"verily with the hardship there is relief" – Quran 94:6

KDB

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #1609 on: October 25, 2016, 02:44:09 pm »
+1
Somewhat irrelevant to the discussions happening at the moment, but this forum has reached 100k reads!!! Right before the english exam  ;D

1k of them are from me tbh

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1610 on: October 25, 2016, 02:45:52 pm »
+4
NEED HELP!

I'm always saying, in Language Analysis, the author APPEALS to... or ATTEMPTS to ....

Are there any other ways of saying what they are trying to do as I know I can't say they MAKE the reader feel something!!

Thankyou in advance!
See attachment!

Also, it might be worth listing a bunch of alternate words and phrases - look them up in a thesaurus now so you have them at your disposal tomorrow!

1k of them are from me tbh
Dw, I'm at least 50k myself :'D

FatimaEl

• Forum Regular
  • 💕📒✏️💕
« Reply #1611 on: October 25, 2016, 03:01:01 pm »
Hi Lauren!
In your 10 things to do before the exam guide you mention listing themes. do i just briefly list them, or do i write in detail with prompts and all?
2015: Further Mathematics
2016: English | Biology | Psychology | Health & Human Dev. | Text & Traditions
"verily with the hardship there is relief" – Quran 94:6

GillyAnt

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #1612 on: October 25, 2016, 03:01:54 pm »
Yeah, AAE has some surprisingly complex views and values, but I think you can argue things either way, and you may even get a prompt revolving around what things Mank. is condoning/condemning. I don't really want to give you one interpretation because I'd rather not panic a bunch of people by inferring that this'd be the only way to argue things, so instead, I'd recommend coming to some conclusion either way and ensuring you can substantiate your position - that should be sufficient to get you through any potential V&V prompts :)
You're a gun! Cheers! I know you don't want to give too much of your opinion but would you agree that Mankiewicz does give merit to different forms of medium (Going off Bill's long monologue about the 'theatuh').

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1613 on: October 25, 2016, 03:05:53 pm »
+1
Hi Lauren!
In your 10 things to do before the exam guide you mention listing themes. do i just briefly list them, or do i write in detail with prompts and all?
Listing single words would be okay as a brainstorm, or you can turn them into bigger categories with synonyms for each theme and lists of prompts and quotes/examples too - depends what you feel like you need to work on :)

You're a gun! Cheers! I know you don't want to give too much of your opinion but would you agree that Mankiewicz does give merit to different forms of medium (Going off Bill's long monologue about the 'theatuh').
Absolutely; and if you got a theatre-based prompt (which hasn't directly cropped up in the past two years, so could be a possibility this time?) that'd be a great way of teasing out some more complex views and values assertions :)

Elizawei

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #1614 on: October 25, 2016, 03:13:51 pm »
Hey Lauren,
What's a good/recommended number of quotes per paragraph? You said the bare minimum was around 3, is there a threshold where it becomes too excessive?

Thanks
ATAR: 99.70
2017-2019: Bachelor of Biomedicine
2020-2023: Melbourne MD

Founder of Folding Our Futures
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Offering  Chemistry/Bio 3/4 tutoring for 2019! [raw 49, 47] PM me if interested :)

smarkov8

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
« Reply #1615 on: October 25, 2016, 03:22:49 pm »
Hey, just a quick question for the english exam tomorrow would you be able to write a newsletter in Section B however using columns etc and not get marked down?

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1616 on: October 25, 2016, 03:24:37 pm »
+3
Hey Lauren,
What's a good/recommended number of quotes per paragraph? You said the bare minimum was around 3, is there a threshold where it becomes too excessive?

Thanks
Three would definitely be the bare minimum; probably aim for around five if you want to be safe. There's not really a maximum, though obvs if you're just inserting multiple quotes in every single sentence without analysing them, you'll probably end up compromising your ideas, and thus compromising your mark. But if you're mixing up the use of examples with actual discussion, you should be fine.

Hey, just a quick question for the english exam tomorrow would you be able to write a newsletter in Section B however using columns etc and not get marked down?
Yep, you definitely can, I've had a couple of students do this in the past and they never ran into any problems with it. Though make sure it's for a good reason and you're not just doing it for the 'novelty' factor or anything :P

larissaaa_

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1617 on: October 25, 2016, 03:33:05 pm »
"The worst affront to Medea is the desecration of her pride" Do you agree?

"Conflict stretches back into the past as well as into the future".

Can someone please help break these prompts down into arguments for me? How do I get three arguments for each, I've literally been avoiding these prompts for so long because they were so difficult.

Biology24123

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +1
  • School: Scopus
« Reply #1618 on: October 25, 2016, 03:39:13 pm »
In TR, is it better to have 1 example with through discussion or two examples that are more brief

HasibA

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #1619 on: October 25, 2016, 03:44:45 pm »
being pragmatic here- i dont think i can remember a huge amount of quotes for MABO by tmr, lets say a write an essay of like 6-7/10, but do not have a huge selection of quotes/even modify-almost make up- a quote or two, and i have a pretty strict/smart assessor who catches on to that- how much would i be penalised? im thinking maybe a drop of a mark. Most of my evidence will be film technique based/example based.
thanks to whoever replies <3
Uni and life