Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 30, 2024, 03:09:35 am

Author Topic: VCE English Question Thread  (Read 854309 times)  Share 

zofromuxo

• Forum Leader
  • Everything you want is on the other side of Fear
  • Respect: +203
Re: VCE English Question Thread
« Reply #2130 on: October 31, 2017, 05:27:41 pm »
Anyone have a simple, easy acronym for language analysis structure? Like what to include in the intro and how to lay out each body paragraph?
For body paragraph,
Argument
Persuasive Technique
Example of it
Explanation of how it affects the reader
Persuasive technique 
Example of it
Explanation of how it affects the reader
Jack of all trades, master of none.
Hence why i'm in all these different threads and boards.

zofromuxo

• Forum Leader
  • Everything you want is on the other side of Fear
  • Respect: +203
« Reply #2131 on: October 31, 2017, 05:30:13 pm »
For the burial rites and medea section, are we allowed to write about both?? I've been told that we need to pick one book only and write an essay on that using the prompts given but what if i find burial rites too difficult in the exam, am i allowed to write about both?? Obviously on different papers
You are only able to write about one text for Section B A on the English exam. You can't write about both on the exam.
EDIT: K888 has informed me Section B is now comparative and not text response in the previous exams.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 06:16:37 pm by zofromuxo »
Jack of all trades, master of none.
Hence why i'm in all these different threads and boards.

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #2132 on: October 31, 2017, 05:35:15 pm »
+3
How many quotes would you recommend to memeorise for each of sections A and B? Should I memorise a quote for each theme?

And what make would I need to get a 36? A 7/10 for each essay or...?
Really up to you and what you feel comfortable with, I'd have a few quotes for each theme and a handful of quotes you could use for anything :) Having short (even 2 or 3 word) quotes up your sleeve is great and because they're short you can remember more!
You'll surprise yourself by how many quotes you remember when you're in the exam.

Not sure about scores, it would depend on how you went in SACs as well. I got A and A+ for GA1 & GA2 respectively, got 51/60 (8s and 9s) in the exam and got a 41. My advice would be, just aim to smash it out of the park in the exam and not worry yourself with scores :)

Hi, for comparative should you make comparisons between texts throughout the paragraph? and take a similar approach to comparative language analysis?
I usually structure my paras by talking about one text then i have a transitional comparative statemnt and start talking about the next text, but should i include more comparison throughout???

I can't comment on the comparative, but for language analysis - I don't think you're *actually* required to compare. My school and a lot of other schools have taught it this way though, and I think the idea is that it helps you understand the effect of language on the reader - and being able to show how the language impacts the reader differently from text to text probably reflects well on your language analysis skills. Just my thoughts, though.
I think I ended up putting in the analysis of the second text at the bottom of my paragraph analysing the first text, and combined my analysis so that I didn't have heaps of separate little paragraphs. It wasn't *that* much of a comparison, though, I just chucked in a few howevers, maybe compared different effects a bit, but your main aim is analysing the texts and the effect on the reader, not comparing the texts. :)

What you described about talking about one text, then having a transitional statement or two, and then launching into analysing the second text seems absolutely fine to me. You could also completely separate them, if you wanted to. I always preferred a similar method to the one you described, but it's horses for courses, really.
My advice would be don't change your structure dramatically given it's so close to the exam - stick to your guns! :)

Hey guys, does anyone know if we'll be marked down if we don't have a conclusion for Section C? I've heard some people say that's it's not that important... so could someone please confirm this? Thx  ;)
Nah, shouldn't really affect you at all. It's better to have complete body paragraphs and no conclusion rather than incomplete body paragraphs and a full conclusion. I'd recommend even just chucking a short one in (only has to be a few sentences - I think mine was maybe 2 or 3 and written in about 30 seconds haha) for completeness, but definitely not the end of the world if you don't have one. :)

Ideally you’d want more than one transitional comparative statement. So you should include more comparison throughout, cause comparison is a major criteria.
Is it, though? I think there was a debate on this somewhere in this board.
Here's the criteria from the 2017 sample exam:
Section C will be assessed against the following criteria:
• understanding of the argument(s) presented and point(s) of view expressed
• analysis of ways in which language and visual features are used to present an argument and to
persuade
• control and effectiveness of language use, as appropriate to the task

Anyone have a simple, easy acronym for language analysis structure? Like what to include in the intro and how to lay out each body paragraph?
I personally used ITAPTACTV for my intro, and just sort of went with the flow for my body paras. I know some people use "Support, Condemn, Do" and others use "People, Groups, Things" to order paragraphs, but I always just sort of analysed things that fit together or complemented each other in my body paras.
My general structure for each bit of analysis was
- the quote/strategy
- explain it - what's the author doing in this?
- what's the effect on the reader? what does it make them think/feel/do? how and why does it make them support or agree with the author?

You are only able to write about one text for Section B on the English exam. You can't write about both on the exam.
Actually, Section B is the comparative section - so they do need to compare texts. Section A is where you only write about one text - it's the traditional text response.
Assuming that manisha99 is asking about Section A, will provide an answer in the next post.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 05:45:02 pm by K888 »

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #2133 on: October 31, 2017, 05:42:41 pm »
+3
Double posting because of the length of my post.

For the burial rites and medea section, are we allowed to write about both?? I've been told that we need to pick one book only and write an essay on that using the prompts given but what if i find burial rites too difficult in the exam, am i allowed to write about both?? Obviously on different papers
So, I assume we're talking about Section A here.

You have to pick one book, pick one prompt, and write an essay on it. You can only write one essay for Section A. If you find the prompts for Burial Rites too difficult in the exam, then respond to one of the Medea prompts. :)

As it is said in the exam instructions:
"Section A requires students to write an analytical interpretation of a selected text in response to one topic (either i. or ii.) on one text."

Hope this has cleared things up :)

manisha99

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2134 on: October 31, 2017, 06:06:59 pm »
Double posting because of the length of my post.
So, I assume we're talking about Section A here.

You have to pick one book, pick one prompt, and write an essay on it. You can only write one essay for Section A. If you find the prompts for Burial Rites too difficult in the exam, then respond to one of the Medea prompts. :)

As it is said in the exam instructions:
"Section A requires students to write an analytical interpretation of a selected text in response to one topic (either i. or ii.) on one text."

Hope this has cleared things up :)

Okay thanks for clearing that up. Is there anything you recommend me to do to get a good study score?
I have looked at a few themes in Burial Rites, Medea, 1984 and Stasiland and characters and quotes

lilyrosee

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #2135 on: October 31, 2017, 06:28:53 pm »
+3
How is everyone feeling for tomorrow?

Good luck to you all  :)
2016: Psychology
2017: English [47] | Literature | Drama [42] | Media | Australian History [43]
2018 - 2020: Bachelor of Arts @ the University of Melbourne

VCE English Essay Marking $10 per essay or 3 essays for $20 - DM for details

zxcvbnm18

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
  • School: .
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #2136 on: October 31, 2017, 06:43:39 pm »
+2
GOOD LUCK EVERYONE

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #2137 on: October 31, 2017, 06:45:52 pm »
+3
Okay thanks for clearing that up. Is there anything you recommend me to do to get a good study score?
I have looked at a few themes in Burial Rites, Medea, 1984 and Stasiland and characters and quotes
Such an ambiguous question haha.

Just believe in yourself, know your themes/quotes/texts in general, know what the examiners are looking for (read the criteria!), and let your writing do the talking! :)

Good luck everyone! You'll smash it :) Can't wait to hear how it goes once I've finished my exam tomorrow afternoon! Make sure you come back on and share your thoughts in the exam discussion board. :)

kiki.

• Trendsetter
  • Class of 2017
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #2138 on: October 31, 2017, 07:06:44 pm »
+2
Good luck everyone!! :)

I'm nervous hahaha. How is the spacing of everyone's exams? I have so much time between each one which is both a blessing and a curse.

lyoko

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +51
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #2139 on: October 31, 2017, 09:52:46 pm »
+2
GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! Just think, by this time tomorrow, it will all be over!

pmmenotes

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #2140 on: October 31, 2017, 10:43:45 pm »
+2
Just wanted to say good luck to everyone here and Thanks so much for getting me through english this year!!! I’m sure we will all kill it tomorrow good night and good luck !

appleandbee

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +200
« Reply #2141 on: October 31, 2017, 10:44:53 pm »
+7
Good luck for tomorrow!

Hopefully the odds are in your favor for section A and B prompts. For lang analysis, given that many of you are aiming for high scores and worked hard, if you are disappointed or found the pieces difficult, remember that most people probably feel the same way. If you are disappointed with the exam overall a) it may just feel that way because you worked hard and aimed high, hopefully it turns out better than you first thought, b) in the worst scenario, a few points difference in your English SS (42 as opposed to a 45 or a 35 as opposed to a 38) won't make a significant difference to your Atar unless you are aiming for the top end (99+) where the margin for error is really small, the deficit can be made up in your other subjects so keep your head up. If venting or discussing the exam gives you the peace of mind, use the exam discussion boards. If you think doing so may make you feel more anxious or distract you from your upcoming exams, it's probably best to stay away from there.

A few last minutes bits of advice, for lang analysis, pay attention to the form of the pieces (whether it's a speech or a televised one, a letter, proposal etc.) as various unique stylistic devices may be included.  As long as you discuss the author/speaker's intentions or what the technique is designed to do, followed by how the reader is positioned to react you will be perfectly fine. Lang analysis pieces don't have to be read beautifully.

For text analysis stuff, focus on the way in which stylistic/linguistic features of the text is used to create meaning on various themes, characters and events. Try to reach the essence of the text (yes, it's philosophical) and question how the question or thing the prompt is discussing is central to unlocking the meaning in the text.

Hopefully most of you are getting some rest, but I'm be around to answer last minute questions, essay feedback or All About Eve tidbits.  :)
VCE Class of 2015

Studying Anthropology, Philosophy and Biology at Unimelb

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #2142 on: November 01, 2017, 06:56:32 am »
+4
A huge good luck to everybody sitting the exam today. Can't wait to hear your thoughts this afternoon!

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Mariamnourine

• Forum Regular
  • Be a voice, not an Echo
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #2143 on: November 01, 2017, 07:00:42 am »
A huge good luck to everybody sitting the exam today. Can't wait to hear your thoughts this afternoon!

Thank you so much. I have to admit I am terrified of those examiners [and the exam obvs]. Let's hope all goes well
2017: TT, Psychology, Further, English, BusMan

2018 : Nursing [Clinical leadership] /midwifery @ Deakin

You can't always win, but don't be afraid to fail.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #2144 on: November 01, 2017, 07:02:11 am »
+3
Thank you so much. I have to admit I am terrified of those examiners [and the exam obvs]. Let's hope all goes well

I'm sure it will - the exam'll be sweet once you get stuck in. :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.