Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 06, 2024, 02:32:04 am

Author Topic: what course should I choose to be a doctor?  (Read 672 times)  Share 

suskieanna

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
what course should I choose to be a doctor?
« on: December 19, 2019, 11:17:24 am »
My atar is enough to do biomedicine at melbourne uni and yesterday I got an offer to do optometry at Deakin University. Which one should I choose? Is passing the gamsat really competitive? (I haven't done any yr 11 or 12 physic) I saw that only 25% of people doing biomedicine got into medicine. Also, is it still possible to be a doctor even if I choose optometry? I really don't have anyone to ask. Please help! I cannot decide at all!

Also my atar is 97.05. Is there any better option? I am so worried that if I choose biomedicine, I would be a researcher if I don't pass GAMSAT. I don't think I will enjoy being a researcher. I also applied for monash medicine but my UCAT is so screwed up (not even average) so I don't think I have a hope...
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 11:19:12 am by suskieanna »

Lyra7

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +13
Re: what course should I choose to be a doctor?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019, 11:25:34 am »
I think what is important here is what you believe would give you most happiness and satisfaction. If optometry is something you can see yourself doing and isnt just a fall back career that is in health then that could be a legitimate option. I am unsure whether you can use it as a platform to get into med as im not sure the optometry course would have space for necessary electives needed that some postgrad courses like you to have done.

In terms of biomed, your fear of taking that path and then getting “stuck” as a researcher is understandable. Unfortunately the spots at the end of biomed are few but that doesnt mean you should take yourself out of the running before you even begin. You would need to consider the possibility of not making it and where younwould go from there if you took the biomed route
2016: Biology [46]
2017: English [45] Economics [40] Chemistry [38] Latin [37] Methods [35]
ATAR: 99.00

2018-2023: Bachelor of Medical Science/ Doctor of Medicine (MD) @ Monash Uni

2022: Bachelor of Medical Science (Hons)

MMI tuition available