Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 20, 2024, 02:45:48 pm

Author Topic: Yacoubb's Immunity Questions  (Read 7212 times)  Share 

Yacoubb

Yacoubb's Immunity Questions
« on: June 09, 2013, 12:23:08 am »
Hey guys. SAC 5 is an annotated poster and there are just some topics I want to clarify before I actually start this SAC (annotated posters). I'll put down my understanding and then ask questions relating to some confusion I have regarding a particular topic. Could you please make any necessary amendments.

'Self' materials refers to all matter that belongs to the body cells of the host organism, whilst any 'non-self' materials refers to all matter that is foreign to the host organism and does not belong to the body cells of the organism. The immune system is able to distinguish between 'self' and 'non-self' material in order to defend the organism from any pathogenic agents. The ability to do so originates from the complex of genes found on chromosome 6 of all human cells. These set of genes called the Major Incompatibility Complex code for Class I and Class II MHC markers:
  • Class I MHC Markers - these markers are found on the surface of all nucleated, human cells (i.e. except erthythrocytes - red blood cells)
  • Class II MHC Markers - these markers are found on the surface of B-lymphocytes, T-lymphocytes and macrophages.
A macrophage is a 'big eater' - a white blood cell that develops from a monocyte. On the surface of macrophages are 'self' receptors; as the name suggests, these receptors have a reception site complementary to the site of the Class I MHC markers of somatic cells of living organisms. If there is a complementary fit between the self-receptor and the MHC class I marker, the macrophage is able to identify it as 'self'. However, if there is no self receptor - MHC class-1 complex formed, the macrophage detects that the antigen (i.e. any substance that triggers an immune response) is foreign, and an immune response is initiated.

The macrophage binds to, engulfs and destroys the foreign, 'non-self' antigen; it releases digestive enzymes packaged in lysosomes, which break down the antigen and digest any material, voiding all the other material that is not required by the macrophage out of the cell. Antigen fragments are collected by Class-2 MHC markers, which migrate to the surface of these macrophages. The whole macrophage then travels to lymph notes, where the process of attracting a T-helper Cell is at a higher chance of occurring. The macrophage secretes the cytokine Interleukin-1, which attracts Helper-T cells; the CD4 receptors on the helper T-cells form a complementary complex with the MHC- Class 2 markers of the macrophage. Then, the helper-T cells secrete Interleukin-2 (cytokine) which aids in the activation of a humoral and cell-mediated immune response.

The humoral response:
B-lymphocytes which produce antibodies specifically designed against the antigen begin to replicate and increase rapidly in number (clonal expansion and proliferation). As the proliferation of B-lymphocytes with specific immunoglobulins occurs (i.e. clonal expansion), some differentiate into plasma cells while others differentiate into memory-B cells. The plasma cells that are produced by the proliferation of B-lymphocytes are involved in the production of specific immunoglobulins (antibodies) against a specific type of pathogen. These antibodies are proteins with a Quaternary structure that bind to specific antigens at the antigen-binding site of the antibody. These antibodies are involved in the agglutination of non-self antigens; that is, these antibodies almost neutralize the actions of the antigens in that they are unable to enter and infect cells of the host. They can also clog all the antigens together and make them more noticeable for macrophages, which then bind to, engulf and destroy these foreign antigens. Furthermore, memory-B cells retain memory of the foreign antigen, and so following the primary antibody response (i.e. the secondary antibody response), the presence of memory-B cells means that B-lymphocytes that produce specific antibodies against the specific antigen will be produced at a greater concentration at a greater rate per unit time, resulting in a more rapid response to the secondary infection by the same pathogen.

Cell-mediated response:
* There are 4 main types of T-lymphocytes that are involved in cell-mediated immunity:
- Helper T~cells
- Cytotoxic T~cells
- Suppressor T~cells
- Memory T~cells

Helper T-cells:
* When a macrophage's Class-2 MHC markers present antigen-fragments on the cell surface, Interleukin-1 is secreted by the cell to attract Helper-T cells. The CD4 receptors of the T-helper cells binds to the Class-2 MHC markers of the macrophage, enabling the activation of the Helper T-cells.
* Helper T Cells are very important because they aid the initiation of a specific immune response to a particular pathogen, leading to a humoral and/or cell-mediated immune response.

Cytotoxic T-cells:
*When a viral-infected cell is detected by a cytotoxic T-cell (i.e. viruses are obligate intracellular pathogens), the class I MHC markers present antigen fragments of the virus to the cytotoxic T-cells. These cytotoxic T-cells' CD8 receptors bind to the class I MHC marker; this then triggers the release of perforin, the protein that punches holes in the cell membrane of the viral-infected cell, inducing its lysis.
* Interferon is simultaneously secreted by this viral-infected cell to make viral-infected cells in the intermediate vicinity more resistant to the virus, in the event that the cell lyses and the viruses escape to move around to potentially infect other cells. The interferon acts on cells to produce an enzyme that prevents viruses from being able to reproduce and grown within the cells.

Suppressor T-cells:
* Suppressor T-cells are involved in regulating the length of time an immune response is initiated for before the immune response to that pathogen is ended.
* Suppressor T-cells multiply very slowly in contrast to helper-T cells and cytotoxic-T cells; this is because it is vital that the non-self antigen is destroyed by the immune response terminates.

Memory T-cells:
* Memory T-cells retain memory about the antigen that has caused infection in cells of the organism, and so next time an infection occurs with the same antigen, the cell-mediated response to destroy the pathogen is done more rapidly than that of the first time the organism had been exposed to the antigen (i.e. primary infection).

First Line of Defense:
* Non-specific line of defense
* Is intended to prevent the penetration of any pathogenic agents into the internal environment of a living organism.

Intact (kerotinised) skin:
- Cells are packaged tightly together to form a tough, waterproof layer.
- Lined with natural flora that compete with pathogenic agents for nutrients/space ~ benefit the organism.

Ciliated respiratory tract:
-> The presence of fine hair-like projections along the respiratory tract prevents the entry of pathogenic agents.
-> The rhythmic beating of the cilia on the surface of the respiratory tract sends the pathogen upwards towards the nose and mouth.

Acid/Base Environments:
* Many pathogenic agents cannot withstand the severe pH change from the acidic environment of the stomach to the alkaline environment of the small intestine.

Mucus membranes:
- Mucus clogs the pathogenic agents and brings the mucus up to the nose and the mouth to be released from the body.

Tears:
- Lysosymes in tears break down the cell membrane of cellular pathogens.
- These enzymes break down the pathogenic agent, inhibiting its ability to cross the first line of defense.

In plants:
- Epidermis prevents movement of pathogens into the plant.
- Bark.

Second Line of Defense:
When a pathogen has penetrated the internal environment of a living organism (i.e. bypassed the first line of defense), a series of responses to this pathogen attempt to destroy the pathogen.

Phagocytes:
Phagocytes are white blood cells that bind to, engulf and destroy foreign, 'non-self' materials.

Interferon:
Interferon is a protein that is released by viral-infected cells. The secretion of interferon acts on the neighbouring cells in the intermediate vicinity, to make them more resistant to the virus by producing enzymes that inhibit the growth and multiplication of the virus, which is an obligate, intracellular pathogen.

Complement Proteins:
Complement proteins refer to an array of proteins that are involved in:
(a) Coat pathogenic agents in a substance that makes them more noticeable and obvious to phagocytes.
(b) Involved in breaking the cell membrane of cellular pathogens, resulting in them being broken down; the remnants are then engulfed by phagocytes.
(c) Activate phagocytes.

Inflammation:
1) When the skin has been broken by a cut for example, histamine is released by the tissue that has been damaged, resulting in an increased blood flow to the area.
2) The increased blood flow is created by the release of histamine by mast cells, which causes the dilation of arterioles, resulting in increased blood flow to the affected area.
3) Platelets (cell fragments) form a scab; thus, there can be an increase in the amount of blood that flows to the area, carry phagocytes to engulf any matter that is foreign 'non-self', without too much blood being lost.

I'll be adding more later as I keep on learning more info; thanks for having the patience!! Any constructive criticism can be much appreciated.

psyxwar

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +81
Re: Yacoubb's Immunity Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 12:40:37 am »
Intact (kerotinised) skin:
I see TSFX is rubbing off on you... LOL

It's spelt keratin btw.

You should also mention 2nd line is nonspecific.
VCE 2013-2014
MD/BMedSci 2015-2020

Yacoubb

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 12:54:19 am »
I see TSFX is rubbing off on you... LOL

It's spelt keratin btw.

You should also mention 2nd line is nonspecific.

Yeah I knew that

So its intact keratinised skin? Is the rest good though?

Yacoubb

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 04:51:29 pm »
I have SAC 5 as an annotated poster on a Pathogen and all the events that occur as a defense mechanism against this pathogen.

I've chosen the Rotavirus - rotavirus is a common virus which commonly causes diarrhoea in young children. It can be transmitted through the exchange of body fluids, contaminated foot/water (e.g. water contaminated by foeces), touching infected surfaces.

Would the following points be relevant to this virus, because I wouldn't imagine many of the general components of each line of defense to be relevant.

First Line of Defense:
- Intact keratinised skin
- Acidic and Alkaline environments (stomach and small intestine respectively).

Second Line of Defense:
- Phagocytes (macrophages)
- Interferon
- Natural Killer Cells

Third Line of Defense:
- Humoral Response (B cells involved [antibodies])
- Cell Mediated Response (T cells involved)
- Cytokines (i.e. Interleukin 1+2)
- Lymphatic System

Also, you'd probably only be able to be either acquire active immunity naturally through the development of memory  B- and T-cells, or artificially through the administration of an oral vaccine where you receive attenuated rotaviruses, and you develop memory B and T cells against this virus. Could this be Passively acquired (i.e. I don't think antibodies would be able to be transported across the placenta unless class G immunoglobulins are involved in the humoral response (they're the only immunoglobulins small enough to pass through the placenta). And I don't think there is a reason to artificially be immunised passively (that sounds really awkward lol), since you can be artificially, actively immunised and become immune to rotavirus strains.

Would it be best if I mentioned that vaccines may not be too effective at times because viruses are able to mutate and give rise to new strains for which new memory cells must be produced?

Thanks for your help :)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 04:55:04 pm by Yacoubb »

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 05:31:51 pm »
  • Class I MHC Markers - these markers are found on the surface of all nucleated, human cells (i.e. except erthythrocytes - red blood cells)
  • Class II MHC Markers - these markers are found on the surface of B-lymphocytes, T-lymphocytes and macrophages.

Maybe I'm being pedantic, but I prefer "almost all nucleated cells (eg except for erythrocytes)" and "found on the surface of antigen presenting cells, such as B/T/M"

A macrophage is a 'big eater' - a white blood cell that develops from a monocyte. On the surface of macrophages are 'self' receptors; as the name suggests, these receptors have a reception site complementary to the site of the Class I MHC markers of somatic cells of living organisms. If there is a complementary fit between the self-receptor and the MHC class I marker, the macrophage is able to identify it as 'self'. However, if there is no self receptor - MHC class-1 complex formed, the macrophage detects that the antigen (i.e. any substance that triggers an immune response) is foreign, and an immune response is initiated.

I find this not just confusing but potentially wrong. Are you saying that a macrophage binding to MHC1 will mean that it won't trigger an immune response? Seeing an antigen in the context of MHCI doesn't define a self antigen.

The macrophage secretes the cytokine Interleukin-1, which attracts Helper-T cells; the CD4 receptors on the helper T-cells form a complementary complex with the MHC- Class 2 markers of the macrophage.

It's their TCRs that do this, CD4 just helps out. Mention the TCRs as well.

B-lymphocytes which produce antibodies specifically designed against the antigen begin to replicate and increase rapidly in number (clonal expansion and proliferation).

Be careful here, the antibodies are not being specifically designed to target the antigen. They're randomly generated and this can be interpreted as implying they're being specifically produced now.

Furthermore, memory-B cells retain memory of the foreign antigen, and so following the primary antibody response (i.e. the secondary antibody response), the presence of memory-B cells means that B-lymphocytes that produce specific antibodies against the specific antigen will be produced at a greater concentration at a greater rate per unit time, resulting in a more rapid response to the secondary infection by the same pathogen.

This is wordy, you should rephrase it, especially for a poster.

Mucus membranes:
- Mucus clogs the pathogenic agents and brings the mucus up to the nose and the mouth to be released from the body.

The definition of a mucous membrane is not that it secretes mucous. You can definitely refer to mucous and its role in trapping organisms in the respiratory tract, but it's not the function of mucous membranes to do this in every circumstance, just in some specific cases.

Inflammation:
1) When the skin has been broken by a cut for example, histamine is released by the tissue that has been damaged, resulting in an increased blood flow to the area.
2) The increased blood flow is created by the release of histamine by mast cells, which causes the dilation of arterioles, resulting in increased blood flow to the affected area.
3) Platelets (cell fragments) form a scab; thus, there can be an increase in the amount of blood that flows to the area, carry phagocytes to engulf any matter that is foreign 'non-self', without too much blood being lost.

The bit on platelets is a bit of a stretch but why not, run with it.

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 05:39:17 pm »
First Line of Defense:
- Intact keratinised skin
- Acidic and Alkaline environments (stomach and small intestine respectively).

Skin is probably not really that relevant, it's not a bloodstream virus, it only really cares about spreading via the faecal/oral route and getting into your digestive tract.

Could this be Passively acquired (i.e. I don't think antibodies would be able to be transported across the placenta unless class G immunoglobulins are involved in the humoral response (they're the only immunoglobulins small enough to pass through the placenta). And I don't think there is a reason to artificially be immunised passively (that sounds really awkward lol), since you can be artificially, actively immunised and become immune to rotavirus strains.

Antibodies crossing the placenta aren't useful because they're IgG and thus won't really help out with a pathogen in the GIT. And yes, the vaccines available are both live attentuated for this reason (probably)

Would it be best if I mentioned that vaccines may not be too effective at times because viruses are able to mutate and give rise to new strains for which new memory cells must be produced?

You _can_ but it's generally not an issue for vaccine effectiveness. Mutation rates for a virus like rotavirus aren't really a concern iirc.

Yacoubb

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 05:42:57 pm »
So how is a 'self' molecule identified as self?

Is it that the 'self' receptors on the surface of immune cells (e.g. B/T/M) have a complementary fit with the self antigens of 'self' cells?
What is a TCR?

What do you mean by antibodies being produced at random?

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 06:04:10 pm »
So how is a 'self' molecule identified as self?

It's not so much that it's identified as self. Seeing an antigen bound to MHCI doesn't make it self, lots of pathogen antigens are presented on MHCI. So, there's no reason for the white blood cells to assume that just because it's binding an MHCI then it's self and things not in MHCI are non self. It's a kind of complex thing to explain without knowing exactly what you've been taught.

Is it that the 'self' receptors on the surface of immune cells (e.g. B/T/M) have a complementary fit with the self antigens of 'self' cells?

Basically it comes down to T cells. T cells that will bind self molecules are just killed during T cell generation and never get to be in the wider body circulation. If those T cells aren't there, B cells that can react to self are never activated by T cell activation.

Macrophages are a bit of a weird corner case, because they're much less specific and are much more likely to react to self (to some extent). They do have some weird funky self receptors, but in general I think they just respond to things that are definitely worthy of a response. My point about was more that just because it's bound MHCI, doesn't make it self.

What is a TCR?

T cell receptor. Binds to MHCI/II along with CD4/8

What do you mean by antibodies being produced at random?

Antibody specificity is 100% random and is never "designed" to target pathogen X. When you get a pathogen, all that happens is that there will be selection for the antibody(s) that by random chance bind to it best. The way you phrased it made it seem that on seeing a pathogen, antibodies specific to it were deliberately generated to target it.

Yacoubb

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 06:20:31 pm »
I just watched a vid on YouTube and this is what I've gathered:

Immune Cells like T-lymphocytes, B-lymphocytes and some macrophages have class-2 MHC markers, and they are able to tell if cells are 'self' when the cell has identical protein markers as the immune cell (i.e. the same Major Histocompatability Complex). Would it be sufficient to say that?

I'm getting confused....

rice

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +5
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 06:54:12 pm »
These set of genes called the Major Incompatibility Complex code for Class I and Class II MHC markers:

*Histocompatibility :P

edit: obviously you already know this (just saw your last post)  :)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 06:57:40 pm by rice »
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is that you can never be sure of their validity." - Abraham Lincoln

psyxwar

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2013, 06:58:49 pm »
I just watched a vid on YouTube and this is what I've gathered:

Immune Cells like T-lymphocytes, B-lymphocytes and some macrophages have class-2 MHC markers, and they are able to tell if cells are 'self' when the cell has identical protein markers as the immune cell (i.e. the same Major Histocompatability Complex). Would it be sufficient to say that?

I'm getting confused....
I always thought they detected presence of antigenic markers rather than lack of self markers.
VCE 2013-2014
MD/BMedSci 2015-2020

Yacoubb

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2013, 07:08:07 pm »
I always thought they detected presence of antigenic markers rather than lack of self markers.

I think it would be detecting the presence of antigenic markers, however, it would ignore cells and not initiate or trigger any immune response against cells that have the same complex of genes on chromosome 6 of all human cells  (i.e. MHC).

Upon detecting antigenic markers (i.e. MHC markers which have a different code), the foreign, non-self antigen result in an immune response to obviously destroy the foreign antigen before it infects many cells and the third line of defense has to be activated. My query was just how the immune system could differentiate. I think that overall, its just whether the codes are compatible between the markers of immune cells and other cells, or not.

Also, do macrophages travel through the lymphatic system as lymph to lymph nodes when the MHC class-2 markers carry antigen fragments to the cell surface, in order to increase the chance of finding a Helper T-cell whose receptors, facilitated by CD4, would bind to the MHC class-2 markers of the macrophage? I mean, since T-cells would be found in high concentration in lymph nodes, it would increase the chance.

Yacoubb

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2013, 07:30:30 pm »
Can someone please check if this is right. This is what happens when the first two lines of defense have been bypassed:

1.) A macrophage binds to, engulfs and destroys a foreign, non-self particle. Antigen fragments are carried by MHC Class-2, and the MHC-class 2 markers migrate to the surface of the macrophage.
2.) The macrophage then enters the lymphatic system, and as lymph, travels to lymph nodes where Helper T-cells are in high concentration, increasing the chance of finding a matching T-helper cell.
3.) The MHC Class-2 markers attach to the T-cell receptors of the Helper-T Cells. This is facilitated by the release of cytokine Interleukin-1, a substance that attracts Helper T-cell to the macrophage.
4.) When the Macrophage and the Helper-T cell have formed a complex at the MHC Class 2-marker / T-cell receptor, the helper-T cell releases Interleukin-2, a cytokine which aids in the activation of both the humoral and cell-mediated immune response, involving B-lymphocytes (humoral response) and T-lymphocytes (cell-mediated response).

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 08:40:59 pm »
I think it would be detecting the presence of antigenic markers, however, it would ignore cells and not initiate or trigger any immune response against cells that have the same complex of genes on chromosome 6 of all human cells  (i.e. MHC).

This is only partly true. The body will respond to different MHC as non self, but it absolutely can respond to MHC that is self, if it is presenting foreign antigens.

Also, do macrophages travel through the lymphatic system as lymph to lymph nodes when the MHC class-2 markers carry antigen fragments to the cell surface, in order to increase the chance of finding a Helper T-cell whose receptors, facilitated by CD4, would bind to the MHC class-2 markers of the macrophage? I mean, since T-cells would be found in high concentration in lymph nodes, it would increase the chance.

They travel in the lymph, not as lymph, but yes, they head to LNs after activation

Yacoubb

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2013, 09:26:22 pm »
I think I understand the concept now: (anything wrong please fix up)

- Any cell is capable of being an antigen-presenting cell. If an normal human cell becomes virally-infected, the class-1 MHC markers will present their antigen-fragments to immune cells, thus, as antigen-presenting cells. Then, when a helper-T cell docks onto the MHC class-1 markers, Interleukin-1 (cytokine) is secreted to activate the helper-T cell.
- Clonal Selection ~ when an appropriate B-lymphocyte with appropriate immunoglobulin detects the non-self antigen, That particular B-lymphocyte is selection. Proliferation and clonal expansion of this particular type of B-lymphocyte occurs in order to produce antibody-producing plasma cells and memory-B cells. This occurs in order to produce sufficient antibodies to counteract the infection and sustain a humoral, immune response.
- When cytotoxic T-cells are activated by the release of Interleukin-2 by Helper-T cells, they travel to virus-infected cells. They are able to do this because virus-infected cells become antigen-presenting cells; antigen fragments are displayed by the MHC class-1 markers of the cells, enabling cytotoxic T-cells to locate them. The cytotoxic T-cells release perforin, a protein which punches holes in the plasma membrane of the virus-infected cell. The intracellular contents spill out of the cell, stimulating the activation of phagocytes to engulf these leaked intracellular contents.

^ Can you please check if this is right, and if there is anything that is wrong, please fix it.

Thank you (: