Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 01:38:33 pm

Author Topic: 2011 Legal Studies Exam - Hard or Easy?  (Read 7762 times)  Share 

Wazzup

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +11
  • School Grad Year: 2012
2011 Legal Studies Exam - Hard or Easy?
« on: October 31, 2011, 12:29:59 pm »
Since its the first year of the new study design, whats your thoughts on the exam, would it be easy or hard? 8) ;D

riceiscow

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
Re: 2011 Legal Studies Exam - Hard or Easy?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 12:45:11 pm »
Considering the new study design is so similar to the old one, I think it will be fairly hard and focus on the new key knowledge to test how hard it is for people.

But yeah, I don't think it will be easy.

cranberry

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 05:35:09 pm »
+2
legal's hard
Master of Civil Engineering and Bachelor of Science at the University of Melbourne

VCE:
2010: Revolutions [36]
2011: English 45, Legal Studies 38, Physics 37, Chemistry 34, Methods 36

nacho

• The Thought Police
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +418
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 05:40:57 pm »
they can't really make legal hard,
unless they ask for abstract points
i think the difficulty of a subject like legal studies remains constant
if ur lucky, they wont test you what you as an individual suck at. can't really say more than that.
unless the 10 marker is retarded, sometimes that does happen iguess
OFFICIAL FORUM RULE #1:
TrueTears is my role model so find your own

2012: BCom/BSc @ Monash
[Majors: Finance, Actuarial Studies, Mathematical Statistics]
[Minors: Psychology/ Statistics]

"Baby, it's only micro when it's soft".
-Bill Gates

Upvote me

selim31

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: -18
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 05:59:49 pm »
Quite frankly Legal Studies is an easy subject compared to a subject like Psychology (which is why I droped Psy after unit 1 :P), and my teacher was right to say that Legal is common sense. Unit 4 is a lot to remeber though. However,

Prediction: about 60% of the exam will be evaulate/discuss/comment/analyse question. Last year it was 53% or 54% (56%???). Sorry dudes, but I really don't know how you can complain about Legal Studies so much. I have never done Legal or a related subject previously, and I love it.
Law is a kind of justice. It is not perfect justice, it is only a kind of justice.

- John Young, Former Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Victoria.

Zafaraaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +7
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 06:09:53 pm »
Quite frankly Legal Studies is an easy subject compared to a subject like Psychology (which is why I droped Psy after unit 1 :P), and my teacher was right to say that Legal is common sense. Unit 4 is a lot to remeber though. However,

Prediction: about 60% of the exam will be evaulate/discuss/comment/analyse question. Last year it was 53% or 54% (56%???). Sorry dudes, but I really don't know how you can complain about Legal Studies so much. I have never done Legal or a related subject previously, and I love it.

Legal is alright, but in terms of questions, I prefer psych! :) Legal Unit 4 is just so much! :( I loved Unit 3 though :D
Do you think unit 3 and 4 questions will be equally distributed in the exam?? Or more emphasis on unit 4? (I hope not :()
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle" -Plato

selim31

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 06:15:00 pm »
Based on a quick scan of the 2010 Exam, I would imagine that that Unit 3 + 4 will be equally represented.
Law is a kind of justice. It is not perfect justice, it is only a kind of justice.

burbs

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Fuck da police - Aristotle
  • Respect: +227
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 06:17:12 pm »
+4

What the actual fuck? Psychology is a fucking pisser compared to legal. Legal has the same amount of content as psych unit 3 and 4 but in one exam. Also half the exam is multi choice and you are rarely stretched for time. I'm not saying legal is overly difficult, but definitely harder than psychology (i do both, and at a similar level in both).

selim31

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 06:47:06 pm »

What the actual fuck? Psychology is a fucking pisser compared to legal. Legal has the same amount of content as psych unit 3 and 4 but in one exam. Also half the exam is multi choice and you are rarely stretched for time. I'm not saying legal is overly difficult, but definitely harder than psychology (i do both, and at a similar level in both).

Hehe, psych questions are hard  ;)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 06:57:04 pm by selim31 »

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +343
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 07:20:21 pm »
I'd say harder. The nature of this very subject makes it difficult; with the amount of case studies/examples etc. you need to know. It leaves so much to be tested. I think VCAA will ask more abstract questions this year, to get students to think 'outside the box' so to speak - rather than just the stock-standard questions they have every year.

selim31

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 08:17:18 pm »
I'd say harder. The nature of this very subject makes it difficult; with the amount of case studies/examples etc. you need to know. It leaves so much to be tested. I think VCAA will ask more abstract questions this year, to get students to think 'outside the box' so to speak - rather than just the stock-standard questions they have every year.

They'll ask for 2 Case Studies Max. Most obvious ones are the 1967 Aboriginal Referendum + Franklin Dam (interpretation of the Constitution) + Kevin & Jennifer (statutory interpretation).

MJRomeo81

• Part of the furniture
  • Princeps
  • Respect: +167
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 08:35:21 pm »
Personally I think it'll be easy for the following reasons:

. New study design
. extra 10 marks
. same time limit.

They won't kill students in the first year of its implementation. Instead, they'll ease it in and see how students cope with the extra question/s.

I hope I'm right, because I haven't touched my legal work in a month. (my 10%)
Currently working in the IT Industry as an Oracle DBA (State Government)

Murphy was an optimist

Bachelor of Information Technology @ La Trobe (Melbourne) - Completed 2014
WAM: 91.96
The key, the whole key, and nothing but the key, so help me Codd.

Subjects I tutored during my time at LTU:
CSE2DBF (Database Fundamentals)
CSE1IS (Information Systems)
CSE2DES (System Design Engineering)

“If I had an hour to solve a problem I'd spend 55 minutes defining the problem and 5 minutes thinking about solutions.”
― Albert Einstein

selim31

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2011, 08:45:12 pm »
Haha, I must admit that my hands were almost on fire after two hours of uninterrupted writing, bludged the rest of the day and almost collapsed. It's quite tough doing an extra 10 Marks in 2 Hours.

Anon123

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2011, 10:47:45 pm »
+1
Personally I think it'll be easy for the following reasons:

. New study design
. extra 10 marks
. same time limit.

They won't kill students in the first year of its implementation. Instead, they'll ease it in and see how students cope with the extra question/s.

I hope I'm right, because I haven't touched my legal work in a month. (my 10%)

Unfortunately, if you look at other subjects that have had new study designs, you are pretty wrong.
Look at psych for example, the A+ mark for the mid year was 70/91...lol

The legal exam is not excessively difficult, really getting full marks for most questions isn't that difficult, its just that there are a few questions that you are going to lose marks on for either silly mistakes, by simply missing out a single bit of info or something, and for legal to get A+, you need to get above 90% (probably go down a bit because of 10 more marks, so I would say around 88%), which is quite high, and leaves very little room for error
Re: Silly things you did during the exam..
I accidentally wrote a really shit context essay, oh wai-

English (33>31)
called it

cltf

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • You gotta be F***ing kidding.
  • Respect: +13
  • School: Camberwell Grammar School
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2011, 02:07:57 pm »
Am I the only one that can't finish the new 70 mark practice exams...?
Camberwell Grammar School Class of 2011

ATAR: 98.65

2010: Chinese [33]
2011: English[44] Methods [41] Chemistry [42] Legal Studies [41] Viscom [48]
2012: Commerce/Law @ Monash University