Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 14, 2024, 05:41:12 am

Author Topic: Master of Mech Engineering at UniMelb? Different than other unis?  (Read 1075 times)  Share 

makeevolution

• Non-Student
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: GJIS
I'm now about to do second year second sem and about to do my major subjects for mechanical systems major (I'm midyear intake). Problem is comparing the stuff they teach here to other unis, it seems it's a bit behind. For example other unis (Monash) would've already done advanced stuff like boundary layer theory for fluid mech and do finite elements in undergrad while Melbourne Uni mixes thermo and fluid mech into 1 subject which means less material for their undergrads (mechanical) and do finite elements in 1st year masters (although from what I heard might also do it as workshop complements of mechanical design in final year of bachelor if I'm correct). Also comparing handbooks between Melbourne Uni and other unis looks like what Melbourne Uni teaches in 1st year of masters degree is 3rd/4th year of other unis, which means that Melbourne Uni masters will miss out on some of the stuff that other unis' Masters degree have. Is it true? When I say other unis here I mean Monash, RMIT, UNSW coz my comparison is with those handbooks. Should I transfer to another uni, because albeit the stuff I said above I enjoy the university, helpful staff members and that its not too hands on (I'm bad at those)

Relatedly, I'm having trouble filling my electives i.e. I want to do physics stuff like electrodynamics or quantum mech (I wanted to major in physics but ended up in mechanical systems) but then I thought I should do electives like engineering materials or signals and systems just so I can be competitive in terms of knowledge with graduates from other uni. What do you guys think, because I already took real analysis this sem and now my electives spot are getting smaller, and I kinda don't want my efforts in real analysis to be in vain (i took that so I can take electrodynamics in my final sem). I'm lost advice anyone??   :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-[ :'(

hobbitle

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +110
Re: Master of Mech Engineering at UniMelb? Different than other unis?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 05:00:50 pm »
If you do the 3+2 undergrad+masters pathway in any engineering major at UoM you will cover the same, if not more, stuff than at other unis.  Depends a bit on your electives as well as to how comprehensively you cover.
Keep in mind that whilst the subjects might have similar titles, the content is vastly different.
I'm not certain of semantic details but a friend who took "Intro to Biomechanics" at RMIT, the content was basically physiotherapy type stuff and not actually engineering, whereas "Intro to Biomechanics" at UoM involved relatively complex mathematical modelling of how limb systems move etc etc.
So you can't just go by the name of the subject, really.
2008 - 2010 | Bachelor of Production @ Victorian College of the Arts
2013 - 2015 | Bachelor of Science @ UoM (Bioengineering Systems)
2016 - 2017 | Master of Engineering (Biomedical) @ UoM