Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 06:56:34 pm

Author Topic: UMAT Thread  (Read 16187 times)  Share 

kido_1

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +6
UMAT Thread
« on: February 04, 2008, 06:08:53 pm »
I understand that UMAT is a pretty important test for people looking to get into Medicine, Dentistry, Optometry, Physiotherapy, Pharmacy and Other Health Science Related Courses. :uglystupid2:

So, wouldn't it be a great idea if a seperate thread was created, discussing the UMAT, what it is?, the unis you can apply to, what scores you need?, how to improve logical reasoning and spatial thought(e.g Mensa tests)?. Interview techniques when applying to unis...

NB: I've been researching UMAT stuff for a while. It's compulsory for most medical/dental/health science related courses.

Any opinions? :P
oping for an ENTER of 99+

Jimbo1

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: UMAT Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 06:15:32 pm »
I understand that UMAT is a pretty important test for people looking to get into Medicine, Dentistry, Optometry, Physiotherapy, Pharmacy and Other Health Science Related Courses. :uglystupid2:

So, wouldn't it be a great idea if a seperate thread was created, discussing the UMAT, what it is?, the unis you can apply to, what scores you need?, how to improve logical reasoning and spatial thought(e.g Mensa tests)?. Interview techniques when applying to unis...

NB: I've been researching UMAT stuff for a while. It's compulsory for most medical/dental/health science related courses.

That is one awesome idea, mate!
I have heard about the UMAT from a few blokes at school, but I want to find more about it and how you can improve.
I was wondering why there was not a UMAT thread here in the first place.
You would be a good UMAT mod too.

cRaMpEd

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 06:20:33 pm »
This kid as a mod, lol, lol, lol (you obviously haven't been on this forum that long)

This bloke doesn't even know what he is talking about quoting from wikipedia what a few zionist thinktanks and researchers said about the holocaust.
Besides, there is No need for a UMAT thread. umat is common obvious sense, but it will be a good laugh..

enwiabe

• Putin
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +529
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 06:22:54 pm »
Would you please clarify why quoting wikipedia for 'zionist thinktanks' and researchers about the holocaust is:

a) relevant to this thread, and
b) problematic?

kido_1

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 06:37:28 pm »

That is one awesome idea, mate!
I have heard about the UMAT from a few blokes at school, but I want to find more about it and how you can improve.
I was wondering why there was not a UMAT thread here in the first place.
You would be a good UMAT mod too.

Thanks. I just thought it might not be a bad idea to have a UMAT thread if enough people find it appropriate.

Chaim

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 06:48:09 pm »
Yes, a UMAT thread would be a great idea.
I am in its support bigtime.

Jimbo1

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 07:26:55 pm »
Yeh, UMAT is equally as important and in some unis more important than the ENTER, so a thread 4 it would be a good idea.

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 07:31:35 pm »
YEAH THIS IS A GREAT IDEA, but maybe we should pick someone who got 300 out of 300 for the UMAT.

Jimbo1

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 07:48:47 pm »
Collin, I am not saying that UMAT is difficult but anything above 205 is in the top 1%. Usually 260-280 is the top UMAT score. 300 is practically impossible.

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 07:52:36 pm »
Collin, I am not saying that UMAT is difficult but anything above 205 is in the top 1%. Usually 260-280 is the top UMAT score. 300 is practically impossible.

Sources? I know of many people who got above 205. That's less than 68.4% of 300!

kido_1

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2008, 07:58:13 pm »
210(scaled) last year was the cutoff score for the top 1% (150 out of the 15000 people that do it).The highest I know of is a friend of a cousin of mine from Adelaide who scored a whopping 243!

I have been doing UMAT since early high school, and have been to 2 prep courses already and have done about 5000 UMAT questions (3000 from NIE, 1500 from AMEPP, and about 500 from various other sources(ACER booklet, website questions). I am planning to go to the med-entry prep course this march.I am pretty experienced in the UMAT field.

I doubt that I will EVER score 300(scaled score) in the UMAT, but I can offer a load of resources/answers/ideas/techniques. Personally if you read newspaper editorials and journals at a fast accurate pace, with practice it becomes easier to catch on unseen arguments, premise and judgements..

Btw: ARE you talking about 210 percentile or 210 scaled. 210 percentile is sinch(top 22%), 210 SCALED is in the top 1%

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008, 08:03:07 pm »
I never did the UMAT, but I know there are 3 sections and you get a percentile in each section, and you just add it up to get a score out of 300 right?

I know someone who got in the 290s - but it's not a typical case: she got the scholarship in Melbourne for Medicine.

kido_1

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008, 08:12:13 pm »
I never did the UMAT, but I know there are 3 sections and you get a percentile in each section, and you just add it up to get a score out of 300 right?

I know someone who got in the 290s - but it's not a typical case: she got the scholarship in Melbourne for Medicine.

True, true but that was before 2007.

2007 onwards all universities that use UMAT will look at the SCALED score rather than the Percentile. For instance, assume person 'x' scored the following scores in UMAT:

Section 1)  Scaled Score-61       Percentile- 96

Section 2) Scaled Score-72        Percentile-98

Section 3) Scaled Score-65        Percentile-96

Combined Scaled Score-198

Combined Percentiles-290

Overall Score(Average Of Combined Scaled Score)-66

This would place student 'x' roughly in the top 2% of the UMAT cohort.

You can however EVEN get a scaled score greater than 100. A scaled score is a score standardised with how well the cohort did, a percentile is how much of the Cohort you beat.

Say you get a raw score of 92 in section 1 where the average score is 23, your score might go up to 132(crazy).

Say you get 62 in section 3, where the average score is 65, your score would go down to 56.

(NB:Some of these figures, excluding facts are arbitrary and have been used just for example)

BA22

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2008, 08:14:28 pm »
The fundamental flaw of prep courses is that they direct to go to the umat and your interview with certain assumptions, these assumptions can kill your chance of getting in

Not only is umat prep looked upon unfavourably by universities, the Australian medical student assocition is a strong opponent to these cash grabbing schemes that operate mostly on, you guessed it, assumption.

Whilst there could be benefits for some, and tips shared from SUCCESSFUL students can be useful as long as they are presented with the disclaimer that the advice given relates only to personal experience. No one has sat more than one umat for SUCCESSFUL entry to medicine. You are not experienced in the "umat field", because you have never sat one.

Congratulations, much like myself, you've wasted money on a prep course that may have predisposed you to certain biases in your preperation, my advice to any potential health science student is to buy the ACER practice question. Umat prep courses rely on keeping their materials constant via asking students for feedback, most of these students will unsuccessful in gaining a place in their chosen course

Jimbo1

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2008, 08:20:23 pm »
I know from a friend of mine who did a prep course a year before UMAT that it REALLY helped him out, especially with Section 3 (the spatial reasoning).

Some prep courses, can be misleading however last year the UMAT Exam had questions nearly identical to those found in a certain prep course resource guide.