Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 05:10:28 am

Author Topic: Senior Science Discussion Thread  (Read 19658 times)  Share 

zanibalh

• Trendsetter
Re: Senior Science Discussion Thread
« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2018, 10:58:28 am »
Hey,
How would I do this question?

Thanks!

S200

• Part of the furniture
  • Yeah well that happened...
« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2018, 11:06:40 am »
I assume you know basic binary?
My working
From what we're given, the letter "A" has the binary number of 01000001, which is 65.
the letter "C" is 01000011 => 67

The digital signal we're given is 01001101, which equals 77.
If the start of the alphabet is 64+1, how much further are we at 77?

77-64=13. The 13th letter of the alphabet is M.

Answer is C.
If you don't know binary
We're given the numbers 1-13.
In the letters "A" and "C", the binary codes both start 0100, so we can assume that this number is relatively constant.

The last four numbers of "A" are 0001
The last four numbers of "C" are 0011.

From the table we're given, we can see that the last four numbers of these two letters correspond to the numbers "1" and "3", which are their respective alphabet locations.
Our given code ends in 1101, which corresponds to the number 13.

again, 13th letter of the alphabet is M
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 11:23:03 am by S200 »
Carpe Vinum

\(\LaTeX\) - \(e^{\pi i }\)
#ThanksRui! - #Rui\(^2\) - #Jamon10000

5233718311 :D

LadyWhoAsksTooMuchQuestions

• Trailblazer
« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2018, 05:23:00 pm »
just a quick question...

my class for senior science doesnt event try...for example, half yearlys, one person got band 4 the rest got 3 and below.
fast forward to trials, only like 4 people made it to band 3 (thankfully, i came second for my exam, mark is still horrible) and majority got band 1s.

my teacher has supported us ever since we walked in that room. however, after trial results, she didnt do what she normally did; yell at us. this is where my heart sunk because i feel like she gave up on us, and i pretty much understand why. more than half of the people in my class dont even study.

however, this does not stop me from trying MY best. she even let us know we were one of the worst and the most unseuccessful class she's ever had. it made me sad because she started to tear up.
4 students, on the last day, told her straight up that there was another class having a party and they wanted to go. "okay go, i hope it helps you with your atar" was her response.

here is the question.....if i, for example, get a band 4, but only like 3 or 4 get band 4 and rest get below, would that affect us IMMENSELY?
Failure.

2018 HSC Subjects:
English Standard
Studies of Religion II
Information Digital and Technology
Community and Family Studies
Senior Science

ishhhyyyaaa

• Trailblazer
« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2018, 11:41:01 am »
just a quick question...

my class for senior science doesnt event try...for example, half yearlys, one person got band 4 the rest got 3 and below.
fast forward to trials, only like 4 people made it to band 3 (thankfully, i came second for my exam, mark is still horrible) and majority got band 1s.

my teacher has supported us ever since we walked in that room. however, after trial results, she didnt do what she normally did; yell at us. this is where my heart sunk because i feel like she gave up on us, and i pretty much understand why. more than half of the people in my class dont even study.

however, this does not stop me from trying MY best. she even let us know we were one of the worst and the most unseuccessful class she's ever had. it made me sad because she started to tear up.
4 students, on the last day, told her straight up that there was another class having a party and they wanted to go. "okay go, i hope it helps you with your atar" was her response.

here is the question.....if i, for example, get a band 4, but only like 3 or 4 get band 4 and rest get below, would that affect us IMMENSELY?

hey im in a similar situation - my cohort is really small, probably 10 i'd say???

anyways, we have some 60s 70s 80s one 90

i think if youre doing well you should be fine, but ss is a v low scaler so if you stuff up

youve stuffed up big time tbh

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2018, 04:42:41 pm »
just a quick question...

Major shout out to your teacher, first of all. It sounds like she really cares, and that most of your peers just don't. That's such a shame :(

For you though, since it sounds like you are performing near the top of the cohort, it won't matter. Here is a guide on the process, but to cut out the stuff you don't need, your marks are moderated such that if there are big differences, they stay there. Meaning if the majority of your class is sitting way down below the few of you who do try, their results won't affect yours. It's a complicated process, but that's the end outcome!

Your focus should still be to maximise your HSC results, it's not a free pass by any means - But I wouldn't be worried. NESA rewards those who put the effort in, even if their class doesn't :)

• Trailblazer
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2018, 06:34:45 pm »
Major shout out to your teacher, first of all. It sounds like she really cares, and that most of your peers just don't. That's such a shame :(

For you though, since it sounds like you are performing near the top of the cohort, it won't matter. Here is a guide on the process, but to cut out the stuff you don't need, your marks are moderated such that if there are big differences, they stay there. Meaning if the majority of your class is sitting way down below the few of you who do try, their results won't affect yours. It's a complicated process, but that's the end outcome!

Your focus should still be to maximise your HSC results, it's not a free pass by any means - But I wouldn't be worried. NESA rewards those who put the effort in, even if their class doesn't :)

thank you  :)

hey im in a similar situation - my cohort is really small, probably 10 i'd say???

anyways, we have some 60s 70s 80s one 90

i think if youre doing well you should be fine, but ss is a v low scaler so if you stuff up

youve stuffed up big time tbh

thank you, your comment made my heart jump! still scared!

MOD EDIT: Merged double post
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 08:17:42 pm by spectroscopy »
Failure.

2018 HSC Subjects:
English Standard
Studies of Religion II
Senior Science

zanibalh

• Trendsetter
« Reply #66 on: October 21, 2018, 10:55:02 am »
hey guys,

how would you accurately estimate a question like this? (below)

also, is the thredbo landslide a consequence of both human induced and natural combined?
if so, what was the natural?

thanks!

« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 08:15:32 pm by spectroscopy »

• Trailblazer
« Reply #67 on: October 21, 2018, 08:06:36 pm »
is the thredbo landslide a consequence of both human induced and natural combined?
if so, what was the natural?

thanks!

i think the threbdo landslide disaster which occurred in july 1997 was a human activity fault. reason being is because it was not maintained properly. i hope this helps.

hey guys,

how would you accurately estimate a question like this?

I'M CRYINGGgggGGGGggggggggggGGGGggGGGG!!! i hope we dont get a question like THIS!  >:( :-\ :'(  i dont even how to do it :(

« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 08:16:48 pm by spectroscopy »
Failure.

2018 HSC Subjects:
English Standard
Studies of Religion II
Senior Science

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #68 on: October 21, 2018, 08:19:09 pm »
Just a gentle reminder everyone not to double post if one post will do the trick :)

• Trailblazer
« Reply #69 on: October 22, 2018, 02:00:12 pm »
Just a gentle reminder everyone not to double post if one post will do the trick :)

oh, i didnt know we couldnt double post. whats the problem with it?
Failure.

2018 HSC Subjects:
English Standard
Studies of Religion II
Senior Science

S200

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #70 on: October 22, 2018, 04:16:34 pm »
oh, i didnt know we couldnt double post. whats the problem with it?
just makes the forum look messy...
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 02:48:22 pm by S200 »
Carpe Vinum

ishhhyyyaaa

• Trailblazer
« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2018, 08:22:49 pm »
heyy,
can someone please help me with this dot point?

thankyouu!!
-
describe the effect of the slope of the land and intensity of the wind on the speed of the bushfire

S200

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #72 on: October 24, 2018, 02:46:40 pm »
Well, logically, heat rises, so the bush-fire is faster up-hill.
The wind also can speed up the bush-fire, by heating up the land in front before the fire gets there.
Carpe Vinum

prickles

• Forum Obsessive
  • Goals are just dreams with deadlines
« Reply #73 on: October 24, 2018, 05:11:28 pm »
heyy,
can someone please help me with this dot point?

thankyouu!!
-
describe the effect of the slope of the land and intensity of the wind on the speed of the bushfire

WIND:
 - Supplies oxygen for the fire
 - Spreads the fire across the landscape

SLOPE
 - Makes access for fire fighters more difficult
 - Heat will rise and dry out vegetation higher up, and possibly igniting it
 - Sparks carried in wind can ignite fires in other places