Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 05:13:56 pm

Author Topic: PLEASE HELP ME!!!  (Read 453 times)  Share 

emxrang

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: -44
  • School: Mill Park Secondary College
  • School Grad Year: 2013
PLEASE HELP ME!!!
« on: October 24, 2012, 07:24:52 pm »
okay so my teacher didn't explain this to me but here it goes.

Q1. if a dihybrid cross results in a 9:3:3:1 ratio does it mean that the two genes are linked???
because i red in Nature of biology that two genes are linked if they produce offspring in unequal ratio with more from parental gametes; and two genes are unlinked if they produce offspring in the equal classes.

Q2. also if a dihybrid cross results in a 1:1:1:1 ratio does it mean that the two genes are unlinked???

please answer ASAP
2013: AIMS
R* English(38)
R* Further(50)
R* Biology(50)
Health and Human Development (50)
Physics(32)
Chemistry(32)

MisterTransistor

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Re: PLEASE HELP ME!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 10:11:42 pm »
+2
In both of the cases that you've mentioned, such ratios would indicate that the genes are unlinked.
In Q1, the 9:3:3:1 phenotypic ratio would indicate that the two genes have assorted independently, in a cross between two heterozygotes (at both gene loci)
If two genes are linked, than in a cross between two heterozygotes, expect offspring in a proportionally high:proportionally low:proportionally low: proportionally high, phenotypic ratio. Eg. 50:10:12:50

In Q2, the 1:1:1:1 phenotypic ratio indicates that a cross between a heterozygote (eg. AaBb) and a homozygous recessive individual has occurred (eg.aabb)
If the two genes are linked, once again expect offspring in a proportionally high:proportionally low:proportionally low: proportionally high, phenotypic ratio. Eg. 50:10:12:50