Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 15, 2024, 11:20:42 pm

Author Topic: English Standard Question Thread  (Read 210083 times)  Share 

LegalEagle24/7

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: English Standard Question Thread
« Reply #615 on: June 01, 2018, 09:47:11 pm »
Hey :)
I'm doing my hsc this year and in class we're going through mod b but I can't seem to find the rubric for it. Can someone please link me to it? Thanks. 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #616 on: June 01, 2018, 10:51:59 pm »
+1
Hey :)
I'm doing my hsc this year and in class we're going through mod b but I can't seem to find the rubric for it. Can someone please link me to it? Thanks. 

Hi! This is the syllabus you need, the Module B Standard rubric looks like it is across Pages 30-31 :)

joemassoud

• Trailblazer
« Reply #617 on: June 03, 2018, 04:08:13 pm »
Hey Guys,

I have to do a module b essay question on A Beautiful Mind. I have completed an introduction and a paragraph. If someone can provide with some direction/ideas for my next paragraph that would be great.

“A schizophrenic may feel that when he looks at you, he may believe that it’s not himself who’s looking out his own eyes. Someone, somehow is actually having his experience.” In light of the above reference, how does Ron Howard’s A Beautiful Mind choose to convey mental illness can impact a person’s relationship with people and places?

A mental illness can often cloud an individual’s mind, manipulating their sense of self and place into believing a falsified perception. Ron Howard’s biopic ‘A Beautiful Mind’ (2001) creatively explores the idea of how mental illness, in particular, schizophrenia, can affect an individual’s interactions with both people and places. Howard delves into an unconventional subject matter of mental illness that is represented in a form that is accessible and understandable. Howard’s narrative structure of the film is intentionally highly fictionalised and far from a literal telling in order to capture the significant impact mental illness can have upon an individual’s relationship with their surroundings. Ultimately, Howard’s ‘A Beautiful Mind’ successfully provides audiences with the ability to comprehend the experiences often related to schizophrenia.

It is within an ‘out-of-body’ – like experience that an individual’s association with people around them are affected upon. Howard’s ‘A Beautiful Mind’ sheds light on the momentous effects of mental illness, in particular, paranoid schizophrenia can have on an individual’s affiliation with those around them. This concept is starkly clear within the scene where John Nash, a mathematician, meets Parcher for the first time in a dull and dark setting, who is indeed his own mind’s manifested illusion. Through Howard’s application of low-key lighting, it fabricates a chiaroscuro effect and ultimately further accentuates the fact Parcher is, in fact, a figment of his imagination. Moreover, the scene where Parcher introduces himself to Nash, where he is seen wearing a coal-black suit with a black fedora, depicts superiority and apprehension related with Parcher and also introduces the idea of film-noir style. Howard’s employment of a mid-shot of Nash’s reaction provides us with an insight into Nash’s perspective and ultimately demonstrates the realness that Nash’s perceives and strengthens the idea that Parcher is real. Nonetheless, this juxtaposed with the non-diegetic sound (no-footsteps) when Parcher entered the scene, giving understanding to recognising Nash’s falsified perception. Nash’s sense of concern and confusion reality is further questioned when he says, “I thought this place was abandoned.” Hence, Nash’s progressive hallucination of Parcher greatly influences his relation with his surroundings as Nash is hypnotised by the peculiarity of Parcher’s imaginative world.

Thanks in advance!

LegalEagle24/7

• Trailblazer
« Reply #618 on: June 04, 2018, 05:46:00 pm »
Hi! This is the syllabus you need, the Module B Standard rubric looks like it is across Pages 30-31 :)

Thanks so much Jamon :)

LegalEagle24/7

• Trailblazer
« Reply #619 on: June 04, 2018, 05:51:27 pm »
Hey there!

I remember doing this question for my HSC :) For this question, I did two integrated paragraphs. One for before/middle of text (my prescribed and related texts) and one for end of text (my prescribed and related texts). The reason why I did it this way was because of the time limit. I didn't think I would've been able to write three/six paragraphs in 40 minutes. However, it really is up to you how you structure your paragraphs and what quotes you want to use in them. As long as there's a consistency :)

Cool :) Thanks so much!

aya9995

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #620 on: June 07, 2018, 07:50:00 pm »
Hi! Does anyone have any analysis on 'Memoirs of a Geisha' (novel)?  :( I desperately need one for HSC discovery related text :'(

superjerry12

• Adventurer
« Reply #621 on: July 09, 2018, 11:43:09 am »
+1
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has any good recommendations for a related text for Exploring Interactions - the text being Feed by M.T Anderson. Good luck with trials guys!

Ophelia_

• Adventurer
  • Wishing to skip HSC and get to Uni -.-
« Reply #622 on: August 06, 2018, 12:35:30 pm »
Hey,
Did anyone do Neighbours by Tim Winton as a related for Mod C? If you did, is there any other catalysing nature that caused their transition into the neighbourhood besides the unexpected pregancy??
I am emotionally and physically screwed for the paper 2 tomorrow oml
HSC 2018: Senior Science || Biology || Gen Maths 2 || Standard English || Society and Culture || Studies of Religion 1U

ATAR Goal: 80+ (BS Nursing)

fireives1967

• Adventurer
  • The sum of all numbers equate to -(1/12)
« Reply #623 on: August 06, 2018, 07:02:39 pm »
Hey guys, for those doing Henry Lawson for Mod A, is reference to two of his stories needed or only one?

Cheers!
Why can't WW3 already happen so we don't have to do the HSCWhy can't WW3 already happen so we don't have to do the HSCWhy can't WW3 already happen so we don't have to do the HSCWhy can't WW3 already happen so we don't have to do the HSCWhy can't WW3 already happen so we don't have to do the HSCWhy can't WW3 already happen so we don't have to do the HSCWhy can't WW3 already happen so we don't have to do the HSCWhy can't WW3 already happen so we don't have to do the HSCWhy can't WW3 already happen so we don't have to do the HSCWhy can't WW3 already happen so we don't have to do the HSC

envisagator

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #624 on: August 06, 2018, 07:24:49 pm »
+5
Hey guys, for those doing Henry Lawson for Mod A, is reference to two of his stories needed or only one?

Cheers!
Hi, so I did Henry Lawson for Mod A, you can choose to do only one of his stories and a related, but, I did 2 of his stories and a related text. Reason being the fact they can ask for 2 texts, plus, I feel doing 2 is easier, it enables you to cover more of Lawson's stories, in case they specify a desired story.

If you choose to do only 1, make sure you have a other sample paragraphs for the other short stories, so that when they ask you for 2 you can just slot that in there.

Hope this helps!!
2018 HSC: English Standard          Mathematics EXT 1,2          Physics          Engineering Studies

headsup

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +53
« Reply #625 on: August 06, 2018, 08:29:31 pm »
+1
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has any good recommendations for a related text for Exploring Interactions - the text being Feed by M.T Anderson. Good luck with trials guys!
Hey!
I am not sure what the text is but 'I am Vertical' by Sylvia Path is one that I am using for my Exploring Interactions if that helps!

All the best with the trials and HSC!!!
So close to the end!!!!
MY SCHEDULE
18th - English P1
19th - English P2
25th - Mathematics
29th - Modern History
30th - Mathematics extension one
2nd - Business Studies
7th - Economics
9th - D&T
10th - DONE!!!
14th - Turn 18!!
15th - green P's!

Jordan3650

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #626 on: August 07, 2018, 06:57:36 am »
Hey just wondering if u r allowed to make up a related text
am doing romulus my father Module C

headsup

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +53
« Reply #627 on: August 07, 2018, 07:03:16 am »
+3
Hey just wondering if u r allowed to make up a related text
am doing romulus my father Module C
Well hey!!! Welcome to ATARNotes...

Personally, I would not recommend it. In the moment of the exam when you are trying to make up a text it would be hard to come up with quotes IYKWIM.
Def would not recommend now.... Try one from class or even a short disney movie you might have watched would be better.

You can head over to this thread here https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=177992.0

All the best with your trials!!
So close to the end!!!!
MY SCHEDULE
18th - English P1
19th - English P2
25th - Mathematics
29th - Modern History
30th - Mathematics extension one
2nd - Business Studies
7th - Economics
9th - D&T
10th - DONE!!!
14th - Turn 18!!
15th - green P's!

Jordan3650

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #628 on: August 07, 2018, 07:06:34 am »
Well hey!!! Welcome to ATARNotes...

Personally, I would not recommend it. In the moment of the exam when you are trying to make up a text it would be hard to come up with quotes IYKWIM.
Def would not recommend now.... Try one from class or even a short disney movie you might have watched would be better.

You can head over to this thread here https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=177992.0

All the best with your trials!!
                THANKS!  :D

gilliesb18

• Trendsetter
« Reply #629 on: September 05, 2018, 03:45:28 pm »
Hello:)
Just needing help with Mod B, with quotes etc.
What does 'the quality of mercy is not strained' mean? I've been researching it and there seems to be many interpretations of it, so not sure what to make of it!
Also, what is the best way to revise for this module?