Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 11:05:15 pm

Author Topic: Will I still make it into my course?  (Read 2725 times)

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
Re: Will I still make it into my course?
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2020, 09:53:04 pm »
I got an ATAR of 85.00. The course I want is a double degree at Deakin of Nursing/Midwifery. The lowest they took in last year was 91.25 at the campus I want. I have subject bonuses that add up to probably 5 aggregate points. I also expect something for SEAS for medical stuff. Is it even worth hoping for?
Last year's cohort lowest selection ranks:
Geelong campus: 86.15 (74.15 raw ATAR)
Burwood campus: 91.25 (79.80 raw ATAR)
Warnambool campus: 74.50 (62.50 raw ATAR)

Looking at the last three years' stats for Deakin Nursing/ Midwifery at Burwood campus, there's a low but OK chance, dependent mostly on how many people put this as a preference. (Note: Of the past 3 years, assuming the same scores and using this year's aggregate to ATAR table, you might've been accepted at the Burwood campus in Jan 2019 assuming you get at least 2 more aggregate points from the medical stuff and other SEAS, but not in Jan 2018 or Jan 2020, indicating to me that you'll likely need to hope that demand isn't high. If it were the other two Deakin campuses that offer the course, you have a better chance.)

I'd probably put something similar at the same or different institute e.g. Nursing (single degree) at Deakin as a lower preference as back up, or be willing to go to a different campus, if possible.   

I got an ATAR of 95.30. I really want to do physio at Monash, but the lowest selection rank, last year, was 96.15. Should I still keep it or change to my backup options? I don't have any SEAS/rurality and there are no subject adjustments for monash physio. Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.
I'd leave it at Preference #1 in the event that you're competitive enough and can snag one of the last spots (possibly in second or later round offers), but wouldn't put too high a hope for it, unfortunately. Have a back up course where you do have the ATAR for and are comfortable with in the lower preferences. You can try for transfer later on, if necessary.

I've never heard of that? How does it work if you don't mind explaining?
These are often called subject bonuses, middle band subjects or subject adjustments. Additional "points" can be added to your aggregate, which in turn can boost your selection rank. You can see them on VTAC CourseSearch. Unfortunately, UoM hasn't offered subject bonuses in recent years.

hey, how did you know you got access Melbourne? Did they send out an email
In recent years, people haven't received any notification for Access Melbourne, so they didn't know they actually were successful in getting Access Melbourne until they asked representatives at Change of Preference/ December Info Day Events. This might be the case this year, or they could be late in sending the notifications out. I would contact UoM to check. 
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 11:26:26 pm by AngelWings »
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread