Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 22, 2024, 01:52:37 am

Author Topic: Hsc alignment  (Read 2294 times)

huss1235

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +5
Hsc alignment
« on: November 21, 2017, 10:00:37 pm »
Hi sorry for the questions but I have one more question is it possible for a raw mark to be aligned down eg senior science is a easy subject so it will get pushed Down but this years exam was very hard so can it be aligned up
Thank you

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Hsc alignment
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 10:25:53 pm »
Hi sorry for the questions but I have one more question is it possible for a raw mark to be aligned down eg senior science is a easy subject so it will get pushed Down but this years exam was very hard so can it be aligned up
Thank you

Marks can be aligned up or down - It totally depends on the performance of the cohort that year :)

huss1235

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 11:08:50 pm »
Is there a article you can attach because I couldn't find one that's shocking so a 80 raw can get pushed down to a 75 eg thanks

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 11:32:17 pm »
Is there a article you can attach because I couldn't find one that's shocking so a 80 raw can get pushed down to a 75 eg thanks

There's not really an article on it because there isn't really anything else to it - It's just NESA's process. And yes, an 80 raw could theoretically be aligned to a 75, if an exam was easier than intended :)

rodero

• Forum Obsessive
  • Professional quote and statistic generator
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 07:51:03 am »
Check out the raw marks database here. It doesn't have every subject, but it shows what some raw marks became after alignment. Keep in mind it varies by year due to the difficulty of exams

EDIT: I'm not sure how they source this information. My best guess would be that students bought back their paper to find what raw mark they had. If that were the case, then I'd assume that the data is mainly user submitted so just take the stats as a little indicator, but don't rely too much on it.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 07:54:27 am by rodero »
HSC 2017:
English (Advanced): 91    Legal Studies: 92    Modern History: 91    Studies of Religion 2: 90    Business Studies: 92

ATAR: 96.75

Need tutoring? Click here!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 10:14:10 am »
+1
EDIT: I'm not sure how they source this information. My best guess would be that students bought back their paper to find what raw mark they had. If that were the case, then I'd assume that the data is mainly user submitted so just take the stats as a little indicator, but don't rely too much on it.

It's definitely user sourced - I tend to trust it though, the stats are consistent with each other and I can't fathom a reason why people would report incorrect data ;D