Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 20, 2024, 04:03:39 am

Author Topic: Laptop Suggestions  (Read 2004 times)  Share 

bturville

Re: Laptop Suggestions
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2008, 07:49:10 pm »
i must say that for ten years in the computer industry, http://www.msy.com.au/ is a gut wrenchingly awful looking web site!

But for what they don't spend on web design, the savings get passed on to you.

(similar non-investment also occurs to the customer service there, but that's another story).
yeah i guessed that.

btw you're not going to get me that easily :)

cobby

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2008, 08:11:46 pm »
pro tip:
do not buy a laptop for year 12.
you don't need it. Sure it would be useful for random crap, but trust me... you're 99 times better off without one.

STAY AWAY!.
especially with those subjects, you could argue that it would be helpful for English and PE
but you will perform so much better if you dont get one

*looks at signature..realises it hasnt been changed*
I just assumed that i would be better off with one cos then i wouldnt have to lug my text books home everyday, but thats was just one positive, i guess it will make me procrastinate alot more..but hmmmm..oh btw im not doing physics or further, im doing i.t apps and spesh..ill get around to changing my sig soon :)
2008 - Economics
2009 - Maths Methods CAS
          English
          I.T Apps
          P.E

cobby

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2008, 07:51:54 am »
anyone else got any opinions and suggestions as to me getting a laptop for yr 12?
2008 - Economics
2009 - Maths Methods CAS
          English
          I.T Apps
          P.E

trinon

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2008, 03:05:11 pm »
I've had some experience with Asus laptops and Dell laptops/desktops. In my opinion, if you want a more beast of a machine (worse battery life) go for an Asus. It'll do what you want and do it well. If not, I recommend either the Dell XPS M1330 or the Dell XPS M1530. Both are great laptops (I'm typing on the M1330 right now) and you won't be disappointed. A word of warning though. Dell make a lot of mistakes with their laptops. Your laptop is hand built according to your specifications, so obviously with that much man handling there are stuff ups here and there. Not to worry though, because you can call Dell and a technician will come to your house the next day and fix it. The major pro's I find with my M1330 is the battery life. I have a 9 cell battery (may need to buy it off ebay, don't think they sell them in Australia anymore) and with themes disabled and all the crap I don't need running, I get about five and a half hours battery life. I would say about four hours battery life with high performance on. Note that I also have really powerful specs, so even with a really powerful processor this laptop gives great battery life.
Eli rocks at running.

nickalaz

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2008, 08:56:52 pm »
i would like to give my opinion again, you should NOT get one!!
by the second half of the year, you will be lugging home ALL your textbooks, AND a laptop.

and its so annoying using a textbook on the computer, much better using the hard copy.

i'd really advise against it. learn from my mistakes, don't make them yourself.
except everyone at my school has them, not just me.

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2008, 01:01:04 am »
I've had some experience with Asus laptops and Dell laptops/desktops. In my opinion, if you want a more beast of a machine (worse battery life) go for an Asus. It'll do what you want and do it well. If not, I recommend either the Dell XPS M1330 or the Dell XPS M1530. Both are great laptops (I'm typing on the M1330 right now) and you won't be disappointed. A word of warning though. Dell make a lot of mistakes with their laptops. Your laptop is hand built according to your specifications, so obviously with that much man handling there are stuff ups here and there. Not to worry though, because you can call Dell and a technician will come to your house the next day and fix it. The major pro's I find with my M1330 is the battery life. I have a 9 cell battery (may need to buy it off ebay, don't think they sell them in Australia anymore) and with themes disabled and all the crap I don't need running, I get about five and a half hours battery life. I would say about four hours battery life with high performance on. Note that I also have really powerful specs, so even with a really powerful processor this laptop gives great battery life.

ASUS are known for the horrible battery life (Dell are the opposite for their higher end ones). But, that said, it seems your aftermarket mod has fixed that up.
excal (VCE 05/06) BBIS(IBL) GradCertSc(Statistics) MBBS(Hons) GCertClinUS -- current Master of Medicine candidate
Former Global Moderator

trinon

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2008, 03:11:59 am »

ASUS are known for the horrible battery life (Dell are the opposite for their higher end ones). But, that said, it seems your aftermarket mod has fixed that up.

I was talking about the 9-cell in the Dell. My Asus always had 1.5 hours baterry life max. It was shocking in that department and the main reason (second being weight) why I sold it.
Eli rocks at running.