Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 18, 2024, 07:41:12 am

Author Topic: The employment outcomes of Arts graduates  (Read 43585 times)  Share 

brendan

Re: Arts students to have difficulty finding jobs
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2008, 12:59:36 am »
Wow, do you think that possibly, maybe we get the picture by now?

You dislike Arts and look down on people who do Arts. And constantly post links that don't put Arts in a good light, and are constantly negative about it, just to show how useless it is, and that doing an Arts degree amounts to nothing, and no-one who does Arts will ever be successful ever.

I THINK WE GET IT BY NOW!!!

I'm just the messenger.

doboman

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2008, 01:01:12 am »
Wow, do you think that possibly, maybe we get the picture by now?

You dislike Arts and look down on people who do Arts. And constantly post links that don't put Arts in a good light, and are constantly negative about it, just to show how useless it is, and that doing an Arts degree amounts to nothing, and no-one who does Arts will ever be successful ever.

I THINK WE GET IT BY NOW!!!

I'm just the messenger.

I love the 1 line answer:D
"Acknowledge Him in all your ways, and He will direct your paths"

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2008, 10:27:16 am »
*rolls eyes*

You may well be a 'just the messenger', Brendan, I don't know, but I don't think that's it, you're probably too clever for that. But the quote you provided in the first post takes the article out of context. The article is not about 'arts students to have difficulty finding jobs', rather, it's another scare piece on the economic downturn and about how young people in general will find things more hard than the previous generation. The mention of people who do 'generalist degrees' just explores where the 'crisis' might hit. Note: Not all generalist degrees are also Arts degrees. So, in merely naming the topic as you do, you're providing us a reinterpretation of the entire article either explicitly or inadvertently. Perhaps you're trying to provoke some kind of response in people who are Arts students or are sympathetic to Arts students. Well done if you are, because look at how I'm responding.

Also, it's interesting to note that you don't post any 'pro-Arts' pieces, despite there being lots out there. Melbourne University's propaganda on why generalist degrees are a really good idea being one such case. Probably more importantly, the fact that last year Arts at UoM was the most popular course to do and required an ENTER of over 85, showed that not just people see the benefits of an Arts degree, but high performing students who are presumably quite smart see the benefits of doing an Arts degree.

Furthermore, a big 'duh', to the idea that degrees which are career specific or are in skill shortage areas will lead to a higher likelihood of employment than degrees which are not. But, it's important to understand that there are other outcomes in doing a degree than those that are employment specific. I remember one of the first speeches given to me and my Artsy cohort was in terms of career outcomes, 'it doesn't matter'. We were assured that we would get a job in the end, but more importantly, we were assured a good education. But, if you measure success in life in terms of employment, then you should not be disappointed with the outcomes one is provided by Arts. Arts students can expect jobs if they are good at what they do and if they can demonstrate the passion for what they do. If they can't, then they shouldn't have done Arts in the first place. In any case, just having a university degree can get you to a lot of places.

Often people pull out the figures in saying that Arts students have a lower employment rate than those of other degrees. This is probably quite true. However, many people also ignore the fact that 'Arts is the degree you do when you don't know what degree to do.' As a result, some graduates still aren't sure what to do, and are less motivated than other graduates. If you aren't a motivated person, it's much easier to do a career specific degree because the career path is easy and obvious. Those doing an Arts degree who want a job have to be reflective in regard to what they'd like to do with their lives and must be motivated. I would say that Arts might actually be the worst degree to do if you don't know what to do.

brendan

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2008, 09:47:31 pm »
.But the quote you provided in the first post takes the article out of context.
Well by definition, any quote that doesn't reproduce the whole article, is taken out of context!

Not all generalist degrees are also Arts degrees.
But Arts degrees are generalist/humanities degrees.

Also, it's interesting to note that you don't post any 'pro-Arts' pieces
Oh and what is supposed to be "pro-Arts"? I guess that means you think this article is not "pro-Arts". Why isn't it "pro-Arts"?

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2008, 09:55:02 pm »

He doesn't have to.

I haven't seen anyone post any pro-IT articles yet from anyone, have I?
excal (VCE 05/06) BBIS(IBL) GradCertSc(Statistics) MBBS(Hons) GCertClinUS -- current Master of Medicine candidate
Former Global Moderator

costargh

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2008, 10:58:19 pm »
i mite study arts ... with eco major...maybe

hard

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2008, 11:42:19 pm »
i mite study arts ... with eco major...maybe

i find that hard to believe

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2008, 09:44:36 am »
Well by definition, any quote that doesn't reproduce the whole article, is taken out of context!

Oh and what is supposed to be "pro-Arts"? I guess that means you think this article is not "pro-Arts". Why isn't it "pro-Arts"?

1. Science is a generalist degree, so why not mention science in the title?
2. I'm not sure. I don't think the main focus was to be either anti or pro arts, it was supposed to be anti-economic crisis. But, you did put an anti- spin on the whole thing in the title.

BA22

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2008, 05:06:31 pm »
Yeh Brendan

Even though you don't personally state "arts degrees are shit", you post alot of this arts stuff just to get a rise out of people, to stir up the humanities kids to watch them get all defensive.

I don't personally care, but you kinda have to admit that secretly you get your kicks giving arts students crap about lowered job prospects and seemingly irrelevant subjects

But then again, who hasn't teased their arts based colleagues

brendan

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2008, 07:06:23 pm »

1. Science is a generalist degree, so why not mention science in the title?
2. I'm not sure. I don't think the main focus was to be either anti or pro arts, it was supposed to be anti-economic crisis. But, you did put an anti- spin on the whole thing in the title.

1. The closest degree in Australia that fits the description of "humanities or generalist degrees" is the Arts degree.
2. How is it anti-Arts?

you kinda have to admit that secretly you get your kicks giving arts students crap about lowered job prospects and seemingly irrelevant subjects

I am simply the messenger.

I will say one thing though: I do not think taxpayers should be paying for 106-052 Gothic Fictions
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 06:19:29 pm by Brendan »

bturville

« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2008, 07:34:29 pm »
I will say one thing though: I do not think taxpayers should be paying for 106-052 Gothic Fictions
Haha, I would literally be afraid to take one of those hardcore arts subjects.

xox.happy1.xox

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2008, 10:08:02 pm »
Hehe, arts would be interesting. But nevertheless, I don't think I have the stamina for it. :P

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2008, 11:19:24 pm »
Moderator Action: Off topic posts moved to Sweet Nothings
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

brendan

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2008, 12:05:35 am »

This photo has been doing the email rounds:

*NB: Brendan does not endorse the contents of the photo. You cannot get Arts degrees from a toilet paper dispenser.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 12:08:48 am by Brendan »

bturville

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2008, 12:17:59 am »

This photo has been doing the email rounds:
(Image removed from quote.)

*NB: Brendan does not endorse the contents of the photo. You cannot get Arts degrees from a toilet paper dispenser.
ahahha. you mean doing the toilet rounds, i see it everywhere. and i love the person who wrote it in the toilets IN THE OLD ARTS BUILDING!