Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 09:03:59 am

Author Topic: Studying for Biology Subjects  (Read 4075 times)  Share 

hobbitle

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +110
Studying for Biology Subjects
« on: September 22, 2013, 04:34:03 pm »
Hey ANers.

This has probably been asked before, but the AN search function is kind of bad (sorry... it just is...) and I couldn't find anything.  Please refer me to relevant thread if anyone knows.

Otherwise - I'm wondering if anyway can tell me how they effectively study for Biology subjects.  I'm in first year B-Science and am taking BIOL10005 at the moment.  I did well in BIOL10004 last semester but I find the content this time around harder (or possibly just less interesting... too much non-human stuff). 

I have my own methods but I know they aren't as effective as they could be.  Interested in other people's methods.  I learn well by listening (aural) and by doing (so writing sample essays and stuff).  I suck at learning off lecture notes - I never understand the overarching concepts just by reading the notes.  At the moment I try to watch each lecture about 4 times but it sucks up SO MUCH TIME.

Paging simpak and other biology crazy geniuses.

Cheers :)
2008 - 2010 | Bachelor of Production @ Victorian College of the Arts
2013 - 2015 | Bachelor of Science @ UoM (Bioengineering Systems)
2016 - 2017 | Master of Engineering (Biomedical) @ UoM

Shenz0r

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +410
Re: Studying for Biology Subjects
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 06:00:34 pm »
I try to write my own notes, based off the lecture and the textbook. And then I litter it with visuals and diagrams as well. Btw it always takes me at least like 3-5 hours to compile a comprehensive summary for one lecture...

I think that explaining things to other people helps out a lot too - if you can pretty much tell somebody an entire process, then you've pretty much got it pat down.

And of course doing as many problem-solving/theoretical questions can really be helpful as well
2012 ATAR: 99.20
2013-2015: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Microbiology/Immunology: Infections and Immunity) at The University of Melbourne
2016-2019: Doctor of Medicine (MD4) at The University of Melbourne