Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 10:54:12 pm

Author Topic: Help choosing a mobile phone :)  (Read 3743 times)  Share 

Odette

Help choosing a mobile phone :)
« on: January 10, 2008, 09:46:58 pm »
Ok everyone I'm going to go buy a mobile phone and I need some help choosing the right one. The budget is roughly $1000, I was thinking of getting the Nokia N81, any thoughts?? Thanks
P.S I know there is a thread about this but I just didn't want to revive a dead thread ^_^

joshuamorgan

Re: Help choosing a mobile phone :)
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 09:48:41 pm »
Yeh, I wouldn't want too either - Obsolete Chaos might get on your case.

I have a Nokia N95, $735 from InsaneMobile, arguably one of the best phones on the market. A++++ would buy again.

Odette

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 09:54:22 pm »
Thanks for that Josh I'll consider it ^_^

joshuamorgan

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 09:56:20 pm »
Insane Mobile offers cheaper-than-RRP phones as they ship directly from Hong Kong but have a business presence in Sydney. I received my phone in 5 days, exactly the same as an Australian retail model albeit with a foreign AC adapter. They supplied a travel adaptor though, to convert the foreign plug to Australian.

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 09:56:40 pm »
Wow that is a heavy budget. I bought my mobile phone because it had great battery life (about a week on idle, 5 hours on talk), small size and did the essentials (SMS, calling, and rudimentary camera and video possibilities). It was $150 online, and it is probably cheaper now, as it is becoming outdated.

It is the Motorola L6. It is still incredibly thin for today, so I love it. It's sexy in my jeans ;)

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 09:59:32 pm »
Nokia phones have by far superior operating system (Symbian S60 3rd Edition) for the mobile. Seeing as the N95 is the flagship model and fits nicely in your budget, that would definitely be my pick.

I recently purchased an E61i ($609 from Exeltek in Mt. Waverley - AU stock + warranty) running the same OS and it runs great! Awesome battery life and great call clarity (which is generally true of all Nokia's phones).

You could consider some of the Sony Ericsson phones - they run the same software albeit in a slightly different implementation.

I might want to add - while you can go cheaper by buying the Hong Kong phones, Nokia Australia will not honour that warranty...you'd need to send it back to the place you bought it (may be alright if there's shopfront in Australia, but you'd need to consider shipping) if it breaks.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 10:01:05 pm by Excalibur »
excal (VCE 05/06) BBIS(IBL) GradCertSc(Statistics) MBBS(Hons) GCertClinUS -- current Master of Medicine candidate
Former Global Moderator

Odette

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 10:05:34 pm »
Oh I took a look at the N95 it doesn't look very feminine... I don't want to walk around with a phone for males (that's just my opinion though seems like such an awesome phone though :( :'( )

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 10:12:06 pm »
Hahaha!

Don't judge a book by its cover!
excal (VCE 05/06) BBIS(IBL) GradCertSc(Statistics) MBBS(Hons) GCertClinUS -- current Master of Medicine candidate
Former Global Moderator

joshuamorgan

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 10:12:24 pm »
The Nokia N95 in Plum color is fairly feminine. Excalibur is right about the warranty, although in the case of Insane Mobile I think you can ship it to their Sydney office.

Odette

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 10:14:03 pm »
I don't like plum lol i normally like silver or black... hmm i'll keep looking thanks for the advice guys ^_^

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 10:25:21 pm »
No worries - let us know with what you think you like so that our brains can be collectively picked =D
Former Global Moderator

joshuamorgan

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 10:27:39 pm »
How about giving us a list of the features you *require*? Messaging, calls, etc.

phagist_

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2008, 10:30:02 pm »
Wow that is a heavy budget. I bought my mobile phone because it had great battery life (about a week on idle, 5 hours on talk), small size and did the essentials (SMS, calling, and rudimentary camera and video possibilities). It was $150 online, and it is probably cheaper now, as it is becoming outdated.

It is the Motorola L6. It is still incredibly thin for today, so I love it. It's sexy in my jeans ;)
Yep, I got the exact same bad boy. Gets the job done, albeit with a bit of lag, but nevertheless the thinness makes up for it!

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2008, 10:31:41 pm »
The E61i is pretty damn thin for what it is (though it is one wide mofo) - huge screen + QWERTY keyboard and camera. It couldn't be thicker than half a deck of cards!
Former Global Moderator

Odette

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2008, 10:44:53 pm »
How about giving us a list of the features you *require*? Messaging, calls, etc.

I don't need it to do much really lol, just as long as i can message, call, listen to music on it, has a decent battery life and it looks decent i'll be happy.