Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 06, 2024, 07:52:07 am

Author Topic: Language Analysis Essay Feedback  (Read 987 times)  Share 

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
Language Analysis Essay Feedback
« on: April 18, 2020, 06:26:14 pm »
Hey Guys!! Can any of you provide me with some feedback on this language analysis essay?? It would be greatly appreciated ♡♡
I have attached the article below :)

Language Analysis Essay - ‘Let Them Watch Fireworks’

The recent proposal to ban the new years eve fireworks in Sydney has ignited contentious debate, which elicited responses from the Premier Gladys Berejiklian and Lord Mayor Clover Moore that was recently highlighted in Dr Jennifer Wilson’s article titled ‘Let them watch fireworks’: Gladys Antoinette, Sydney 2019. Wilson advocates for the environment and the fire affected communities criticising the Berejiklian and Morrison governments for refusing to cancel the Sydney fireworks and acknowledge the gravity of their situation. This article was posted along with two images of Twitter posts, from the Lord Mayor of Sydney and the Sydney Morning Herald, aiming to provoke the rest of the government to take action and stand with the community. Wilson adamantly contends that the governments are refusing to acknowledge the devastation being caused by the bushfires, as they are more worried about the economy through attacks and appeals to emotion.

The author establishes the admonishing tone Wilson attacks the Morison government, and contends that it the government should not be trusted to act in the interests of the Australian community.’ The title and the image are placed together they create a resonant contrast which has the effect of accentuating the absurdity of Berejiklian’s quote “let them watch fireworks”. This positions readers against the government using their own words to damn them and immediately draw readers to the view that the fireworks should be cancelled. The close to home nature of the issue arouses a sense of urgency and immediacy, thus positioning the reader to agree that action is necessary to show the communities that the government acknowledges the hardships being faced and hence the reader will also be more inclined to agree.

The appalled and indignant tone conveyed by the word choice of the writer positions the audience to view and agree that how ‘terrifying’ the symbolism is, addressing not only the issue of the bushfires but the larger issue at hand explaining how climate change is ‘rearranging’ the reader’s lives, potentially changing the world as they know it. The author then continues to reiterate the fact that if Australia doesn’t acknowledge the realism of climate change and how it affects everyone, there will be widespread environmental and economic consequences. While appealing to the readers that now is the time to act to help fight environmental destruction, the author also advoctes that the financial hardship of the few businesses who benefit from the night is more important than accepting the larger issue at hand. The Lord Mayor of Sydney, Clover Moore, posted a social media article highlighting the need for the community to come together to look to hope with the future. However, those affected by the fires are not looking for the hope given by a display of ‘exploding flames’ and are instead looking for hope from the government to help them rebuild their lives throughout this heart wrenching time.

Dr Wilson employs a reprimanding tone encouraging readers to think of the long term effects of the bushfires and the effects of climate change. The author cynically discussed why the businesses of Sydney need to be protected from financial loss, and urges readers to wonder what the $130 million could better be used for. As the article progresses the author builds resentment in the fact the government cares more about the economy and the “protected species’ that are the businesses rather than the “individuals, businesses and entire communities” that are being destroyed. Wilson further argues that the government refuses to acknowledge the ‘gravity of the situation’ as they are too ‘short-sighted’ to the larger issues at hand the author irritatedly continues to state that the government is too busy ‘giving priority’ to tourism rather than the lives of their citizens. The Sydney Morning Herald’s Twitter post, posted on the day before New Year’s Eve shows that the issue is highly pressing and topical using alliteration ‘battle the blazes’ to create a cumulative effect that accentuates the destruction being caused. The post also uses ‘bushfire experts’ to question why the government isn’t investing resources that are available further encouraging readers' resentment in the government’s lack of action. Comparatively Clover Moore’s twitter post authoritatively states that the fireworks are exactly what the community needs to find hope and ‘look to the future’ Wilson does this to encourage action from her readers to call out the government and make them cancel the New Years Eve fireworks display.

The Wilson’s article “Let them watch fireworks” and social media posts by Clover Moore and the Sydney Morning Herald ultimately shapes a striking contrast between opposing views and intensely highlighting the contentious nature of governments being out of touch with communities needs and the broader global issue of climate change.
Whilst some readers may feel optimistic about the government's reaction to the current issue others may feel doubtful that the government are too focused on justifying the use of taxpayer money for an event which the majority of the public don't want. Likewise, the article also draws readers attention to the governments ‘short-sighted perspective’ of current issues and appeals to the Sydney City Council who are ‘usually more aware of the peril we are facing than either government’. Wilson aims to compel readers to back the proposal to ban the New Years fireworks in Sydney.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 07:29:27 pm by J_Rho »
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

Failingvce

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +14
Re: Language Analysis Essay Feedback
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2020, 09:21:51 pm »
+3
Hey! According to advice from my own teacher, avoid using the word ‘tone’ when you are talking about the tone. Maybe use ‘voice’ or ‘manner.’ (I’m sure there are plenty of better options than what I’ve written)  Eg the author adopts an indignant manner of speech in order to justify his point.
 One thing I tried doing in my own essay was embedding the tone into the sentence
 e.g the author’s aggressive approach... (aggressive tone)
e.g the author asserts ... (assertive tone)

Another point is to be specific whenever you are talking about the readers. Who is the author specifically trying to appeal to?
Clue: look at where the article is published! For example, if the article is a blog post published online you can assume that the age demographic is younger. You can also look at what political opinion the publisher caters to if this is relevant to your article.

Also if there is an image it is always good to include it in your analysis. Personally I was told by my teacher that we would lose marks if we didn’t analyse it in our SACS. (Not sure if this is the case for everyone) 

- hope this is somewhat helpful :)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 09:25:49 pm by Failingvce »
2020 subjects:
3/4 English - 3/4 Methods- 3/4 chemistry- 3/4 Biology- 3/4 psychology

Failingvce

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 10:26:50 pm »
+3
hello, 
I have no life- so I tried editing this in more detail   ;D
I have included this in a word document attached below.

- hope this is useful :)
2020 subjects:
3/4 English - 3/4 Methods- 3/4 chemistry- 3/4 Biology- 3/4 psychology

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2020, 08:38:12 am »
+1
hello, 
I have no life- so I tried editing this in more detail   ;D
I have included this in a word document attached below.

- hope this is useful :)

Thank you so much ♡
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP