Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 09, 2024, 08:18:43 pm

Author Topic: University graduates/dropouts: where are you now?  (Read 1988 times)  Share 

_____

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +22
University graduates/dropouts: where are you now?
« on: June 30, 2017, 02:41:13 pm »
+1
I'm trying really hard this year (year 12) but I hate it, I've hated school my entire life. University just seems like another ~4 years of this process, and you're not even likely to get your $100k+ pa at the end of it unless you do well in medicine. My cousins who are like 10-15 years older both went and graduated - one I believe works as a labourer on a building site and the other has some menial job opening letters in an office. The thing is, I don't have anything else (job-wise) I'd particularly want to do either - the tryhard mode this year is just to keep my options open.

So I'm asking anyone on here who has graduated or has dropped out and is now in employment, what's your perspective on this dilemma? Is there anyone here who is now climbing the career ladder post-graduation or having tried something else?

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
Re: University graduates/dropouts: where are you now?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 02:45:47 pm »
+4
From my experience, depends what you don't like about year 12. I despised year 12, but really enjoyed university life. So, it might not be the hard slog you think it will be?

On the other hand, if it is the hard slog you think it'll be, and reckon you'd be happy enough as a labourer, then it might be worth trying to get into a trade. The pay in 30 years time might not be as good as if you went to uni, but you'll certainly be more employable.

_____

• Trendsetter
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 03:27:05 pm »
+2
From my experience, depends what you don't like about year 12. I despised year 12, but really enjoyed university life. So, it might not be the hard slog you think it will be?

On the other hand, if it is the hard slog you think it'll be, and reckon you'd be happy enough as a labourer, then it might be worth trying to get into a trade. The pay in 30 years time might not be as good as if you went to uni, but you'll certainly be more employable.

Nah doing a trade isn't something I'd consider. I just prefer to self-teach myself things that I see as relevant. I can put effort into stuff - it's not the workload I'm worried about. I'm afraid my time at university wouldn't be well spent, as evidenced by my cousins and wage growth/the job market in general.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 03:29:00 pm by _____ »

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 03:33:27 pm »
+3
and you're not even likely to get your $100k+ pa at the end of it unless you do well in medicine.
Barely any graduate job offers this sort of money immediately. I think that is quite an unrealistic expectation (if it is).

In terms of your thread title: I have worked my ass off for 5 years at uni @ two different unis (La Trobe & Monash). I got my first job immediately after I finished up (teaching.. always wanted to do this)... but this was because I knew most of them already and did a few placements there.

Disclaimer: It in fact is not that easy to just walk into a job right after completing uni study. I know some who are 6-12 months out and still can't find full time employment. Bachelor Degrees aren't what they used to be, that's for sure. To get an edge, you need something else (e.g. work exp, volunteering, good networks/connections).
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 03:35:08 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

_____

• Trendsetter
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 09:50:47 pm »
+1
Barely any graduate job offers this sort of money immediately. I think that is quite an unrealistic expectation (if it is).

In terms of your thread title: I have worked my ass off for 5 years at uni @ two different unis (La Trobe & Monash). I got my first job immediately after I finished up (teaching.. always wanted to do this)... but this was because I knew most of them already and did a few placements there.

Disclaimer: It in fact is not that easy to just walk into a job right after completing uni study. I know some who are 6-12 months out and still can't find full time employment. Bachelor Degrees aren't what they used to be, that's for sure. To get an edge, you need something else (e.g. work exp, volunteering, good networks/connections).

Cheers mate.

I think it's always good when you have a job you're set on doing like you did so you have that extra motivation and an idea of where you want to be. I suppose I'll figure out something eventually, I'll just focus on my ATAR this year in case I need it.

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 10:59:28 pm »
+2
Fully second this. I was saying to other people that if you have few connections and don't put yourself out there i.e. don't put in the hard yards, don't try to get yourself known, etc., you won't get anywhere. Unless you somehow have a rich uncle who donates $100k to you to start a company and your company magically does well with no hard work (we all wish), it's going to require lots of effort, knowledge and a crazy amount of other stuff I can't even think of right now to get a job.

My Story
Just so you know, I'm not even a graduate yet; I'm in my third year of a BSc (my first preference) doing an extended major in genetics and a minor in chemistry, studying the standard 4 units per semester. I work two jobs simultaneously (on and off semester) and have been since the end of my first year*. That's just the tip of the iceberg! I got these (and more) because I have connections or I've applied with no hope of succeeding in opportunities presented at uni/ other places (similarly when I was in high school). I may not have the prettiest grades or the biggest group of friends, but I have a lot more experience than my peers and, come a job interview, I will be a lot more prepared to speak than them.

* Somehow, I still manage to have a life, albeit nowhere near the stereotypical party-going college student you see in movies.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 11:20:28 pm by AngelWings »
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread