Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 21, 2024, 06:15:59 am

Author Topic: Biologists! How was it?  (Read 19872 times)  Share 

JL_91

Re: Biologists! How was it?
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2008, 11:56:12 am »
Same..but I totally don't regret cramming aerobic respiration yesterday, because of that question about the electron transport chain! If I hadn't revised it yesterday, there would have be no way in hell I could have done that question. I'm glad they didn't ask about plant hormones though, because I am totally blank on those. Did anyone else find the multi choice fairly easy?

Any of you guys have other exams tomorrow?

Psych and chem for meeee.

Good luck :D ! Well, I was supposed to have psych, but I dropped it a month before the mid year exam. Crazy? Maybe. But I already had 2 subjects under my belt from last year, and the psych SAC standard at my school was so ridiculously high that even marks like 26/30 were only As. I do have one more mid-year exam - Linguistics at uni on Friday.

Psych tomorrow and then the GAT for Friday. I finally feel relieved, all the stress that has been building up was for Bio, now that it's over I can relax. Psych is much easier for me in comparison to Bio.
...LOL psych was doing my head in. Biology just seems to 'click' in my head much better than all the other sciences!

For the Tasmanian devil one, what was the answer to the question: "Why were the tumour cells recognised as self cells?" or something along the lines of that? Was it because it was a deep wound and the cells surpassed the first and second lines or defense? :P I had no idea.

Oh, and I have chem tomorrow which, for me, is 10 times worse than Bio unfortunately :P

Good luck for chem! For that Tassie devil question, I wrote that the antigens carried by the foreign cells (i.e. the tumour cells) are virtually identical to the uninfected devil's autoantigens, hence the tumour cells were treated as 'self' by the immune system.

KeyMan

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2008, 11:57:44 am »
For the Tasmanian devil one, what was the answer to the question: "Why were the tumour cells recognised as self cells?" or something along the lines of that? Was it because it was a deep wound and the cells surpassed the first and second lines or defense? :P I had no idea.

Oh, and I have chem tomorrow which, for me, is 10 times worse than Bio unfortunately :P

I wrote "Because the tumour cells were passed from another Tasmanian devil, the immune system was tricked into believing the cells to be passively acquired". It's most likely wrong but was the only thing I could think of.

enwiabe

• Putin
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +529
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2008, 11:58:34 am »
People, you don't have to just use this thread btw. If you have specific questions, I.E. "What did you guys get for 2 c)?" Make a new thread! You guys have a WHOLE BOARD for this :P

Nick

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2008, 12:11:45 pm »
How did you go for time? I remember from last year that my friends commented on how there wasn't enough time to complete the whole exam.
Bachelor of Arts (Psychology) @ The University of Melbourne

Toothpaste

• pseudospastic
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Member #10
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2008, 12:15:10 pm »
I finished at 10:15am thinking that was when the exam was meant to finish. Then I saw the next column of times on the board which had "10:30" and "10:45" and mentally slapped myself.

enwiabe

• Putin
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +529
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2008, 12:16:42 pm »
I hope you checked over your answers :P

Nick

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2008, 12:17:01 pm »
I finished at 10:15am thinking that was when the exam was meant to finish. Then I saw the next column of times on the board which had "10:30" and "10:45" and mentally slapped myself.

At least you would have had lots of time to proof read lol.

JL_91

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2008, 12:18:06 pm »
10:15am?! That's so good..you'll probably ace it because you had so much time to check! I finished with approximately 5-10 minutes to spare. Lol..I finished the multi choice in just under 10 minutes and wasn't really pushed to write too fast in the short answer. But I suspect I will have made some very silly errors in the multi choice :/ I always do!

jess3254

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2008, 12:41:53 pm »
I went terribly. :( what an awful day.

I started getting a Migraine (with the flashing eyes stuff, so I couldn't see half the exam paper) about 10 minutes into writing time. I felt like I was going to throw up, my head was throbbing like death and so many of my short answers were fuzzy, badly worded and retarded. I just wanted to get it over with so I could have an Asprin.

I seriously feel like crying.  :'(

annie

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2008, 12:43:44 pm »
So one the MCQ was all straightforward and easy in general, I suspect there will be good number of students getting full marks for it; some of the short answer questions were very amibguous, esp question 1:

"Chemical composition of structures A and B"
A (was the phospholipid bilayer)
B ( was a protein channel )

By chemical composition did they want to say A contained phospholipids and B proteins,
or the elements themselves ?? Carbon hydrogen oxygen phosphate for A, and C, H, O, N for B??

Nick

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2008, 12:45:36 pm »

I started getting a Migraine (with the flashing eyes stuff, so I couldn't see half the exam paper) about 10 minutes into writing time. I felt like I was going to throw up, my head was throbbing like death and so many of my short answers were fuzzy, badly worded and retarded. I just wanted to get it over with so I could have an Asprin.

That sucks Jess...I'm really sorry to hear that. Have you already spoken to your coordinator about special consideration etc?

I am sure you will ace psych tomorrow to make up for it :) Psych will be good to you..

Matt The Rat

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2008, 12:47:01 pm »
That question was very ambiguous (nothing new in VCE Biology there with ambiguity).

I wrote  

A - Phosphate heads and fatty acid tails
B - Proteins - amino acids

for their compositions.

JL_91

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2008, 12:51:26 pm »
I went for the chem-oriented answer for that really ambiguous question
A - phosphate group, two fatty acid chains and glycerol backbone
B - C, H, O and N

That sucks Jess...I'm really sorry to hear that. Have you already spoken to your coordinator about special consideration etc?

I am sure you will ace psych tomorrow to make up for it :) Psych will be good to you..

Aw I'm so sorry Jess..I'm sure something can be done about it, as Nick says! And he's right, you'll ace psych :)

bucket

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2008, 12:58:55 pm »
I did the same as you JL and stated the elements in those compounds.
Anyway
I so gunned it!
The only question which stopped me in my tracks was the one regarding fibrous proteins, where it asked to name an example, and then to explain why the structure of the protein creates a feature of it or something.
:S:S

Else, it was easier than I expected :)

Monash University
Science/Engineering (Maths, Physics and Electrical Engineering)

Matt The Rat

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2008, 01:04:53 pm »
I put down 'chitin' as the fibrous protein.