Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 10:41:04 am

Author Topic: How to deal with people doubting your aims?  (Read 8066 times)  Share 

golden

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Sharpshot
  • Respect: +102
  • School: VSC
  • School Grad Year: 2011
Re: How to deal with people doubting your aims?
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2012, 10:31:52 am »
So Nossal people are MHS/Macrob rejects

What about the people who couldnt even get into Nossal :'( ie. me

(ok so there wasn't nossal when I did the test but still.. ;))

I'm pretty sure GWSC is ranked about 80 schools higher than Nossal in terms of ATAR scores relative to the number of people.
2014: Microbiology/Immunology Major.

Thanks to (alphabetical order):
2010: appianway. 2011: Kamil9876, laseredd, xZero. 2012: dc302, harper, marr.
Multiple times: pi, Russ, stonecold, TT.

paulsterio

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • I <3 2SHAN
  • Respect: +430
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2012, 09:18:55 pm »
+2
Something I wish more teachers would tell VCE students is that an ATAR is only one of many, many different ways of getting into the course you desire.

Something I wish more teachers would tell VCE students is that the course they desire might not even be the course they truly desire and they might not even work in the profession they desire to today, students can be too obsessive about getting into a particular course, even though it might not be the right course for them.

HossRyams

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +30
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2012, 10:19:43 pm »
+1

I'm pretty sure GWSC is ranked about 80 schools higher than Nossal in terms of ATAR scores relative to the number of people.

^ We don't have any ATAR scores yet. I'm in the oldest year level - year 11 as of now. The only study scores we've acquired are about 13 people who did languages in year 10.
._. LOL
Arts & Law student @ Monash.

bluehorizon

« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2012, 10:39:31 pm »
i've said it before, and i don't know if it's any useful, but i'll say it again.

i think you should have high aims. anything less is just preventing your development, interest, etc in that subject

however, conversely, i think you should not expect anything too high. this doesn't need to be an absence of confidence - it's just that, do you think that one puny, two digit number totally encapsulates your entire ability in that subject? No - therefore, luck comes into play (how harsh the examiners who read your paper mark, whether the exam is suited toward what you have studied, whether you are in a relatively easy/hard cohort). as such, i think you should prepare yourself for the worst.

also, zig ziglar said it better than me: expect the best. prepare for the worst. enjoy the result.

note how i use 'expectations' differently to him, but in the end i think the meaning is the same, even though the words are completely different

golden

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Sharpshot
  • Respect: +102
  • School: VSC
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2012, 09:12:32 am »

^ We don't have any ATAR scores yet. I'm in the oldest year level - year 11 as of now. The only study scores we've acquired are about 13 people who did languages in year 10.
._. LOL

Let me rephrase that then lol. By the median/Q2 scores. In that situation then it shall be interesting to see how it goes seeing as it is relatively new.
2014: Microbiology/Immunology Major.

Thanks to (alphabetical order):
2010: appianway. 2011: Kamil9876, laseredd, xZero. 2012: dc302, harper, marr.
Multiple times: pi, Russ, stonecold, TT.

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +307
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2012, 02:38:12 pm »
+3
I went to literally one of the worst schools in the state. You know those school rankings? Yeah... scroll right down to the bottom.

Anyway, I actually found this worked to my advantage. Because most people didn't care about school in the slightest, I found my teachers were really willing to invest time and effort into specifically helping me. My school was underrepresented, so I got SEAS through that. In the end I got a rather high score (don't remember it exactly anymore, but 97.XX) and didn't need to rely on SEAS to get me into my course, however I actually got a scholarship due to the combination of my high ATAR and my SEAS application (Monash University Scholarship for Excellence and Equity). Never had a tutor either.

Also... I think it builds strength of character. I don't want to start another private school v. public school debate, but you do hear stories of some private school students who get awesome scores and get into awesome universities, but then drop out because they can't handle it. They fail because they've been spoonfed. In high school, these private school students had their teachers and their tutors and their parents on their back, driving them to work hard and succeed. At university, no-one makes you do anything. That drive no longer comes from an outside source. If you want to succeed, that drive must come from within. It may be difficult now, but if you can succeed now under your own willpower, you'll be setting yourself up to win at life.
|| BComm + DipLang (Jap) @ Monash ||

HossRyams

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +30
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2012, 03:35:50 pm »

._. LOL

Let me rephrase that then lol. By the median/Q2 scores. In that situation then it shall be interesting to see how it goes seeing as it is relatively new.

Haha yeah! I was quite disappointed with the scores we got last year for those languages, but I guess those students were those who did Chinese because of their parents LOL... But I do recall a sea of A+s for the mid-years this year (except for maybe chemistry) so I really hope we kept it up! But yeah 2013 will really begin determining where we stand, so that'll be very interesting! :O
Arts & Law student @ Monash.