Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 05:56:29 pm

Author Topic: Philosophy Tips?  (Read 7362 times)  Share 

Jiolo

• Adventurer
  • The world is yours <3
  • Respect: 0
Philosophy Tips?
« on: December 19, 2017, 12:48:28 am »
Hello fellow Philosphers, reaching out to anyone who enjoys or got a 40+ study score for philosophy,

Main Philosophy concepts to focus on for exam?

Tips on for whats to come in units 3 & 4?

Is it possible to get a 50 even if this subject gets scaled down?

Any other philosophy students who have questions feel free to post them here  :P
ENGLISH [?] MATHEMATICAL METHODS [?] BIOLOGY [?] PHILOSOPHY [?] PSYCHOLOGY [?] REVOLUTIONS [31]

Coffee

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +322
Re: Philosophy Tips?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 07:37:30 am »
+5
Hi Jiolo,

I did Philosophy last year and I’m also studying it at University.

Main Philosophy concepts to focus on for exam?
Unfortunately, anything can really pop up on the exam. My best advice is to cover any philosophical concepts that come up, and make sure you have a solid understanding of which philosophers think what. Comparing the views of philosophers aren’t all that uncommon, in fact, you’ll probably be doing it quite a bit.

Tips on for whats to come in units 3 & 4?
There’s quite a few topics and philosophers to get through so, it’s best to be on top of things from day one.

Reading the texts can be quite challenging, especially Aristotle, Descartes, and Locke. Modern philosophers, like Armstrong and Singer you will find much easier. I have two pieces of advice on texts:
1. Don’t be disheartened if you don’t understand them on the first read. You will probably need to read them again, and again. I still do this sometimes, but it does get a lot easier. They won't always be so difficult.

2. Actively take notes on the text. Philosophy texts can’t be read like a novel that you read before bed. They need your full attention. Circle any words you don’t understand, and the write the definition at the bottom of the page. Similarly, try to make notes as you go in the margins on any key concepts, points, etc. This makes revising much easier.

I could give you a run down of every topic you’ll encounter, but that’s probably not what you want. Philosophy is incredibly fascinating though. Keep an open mind, you need one for Philosophy, and enjoy the ride. It’s a really great subject!

Is it possible to get a 50 even if this subject gets scaled down?
Yes. Philosophy scales up if you score 40+.

If you have any other questions, don’t hesitate to leave them here or PM me. :)

Jiolo

• Adventurer
  • The world is yours <3
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 08:34:09 pm »
Thanks Coffee, just saw this now. Will check your page out.
ENGLISH [?] MATHEMATICAL METHODS [?] BIOLOGY [?] PHILOSOPHY [?] PSYCHOLOGY [?] REVOLUTIONS [31]

sarangiya

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • 好きこそものの上手なれ ☆ What one likes, one will do well
  • Respect: +383
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 08:56:37 pm »
+5
Hi!
I did philosophy in 2016 and got 36 (obviously a little lower than what you - and I - want(ed)), but I thought I'd tell you what I wish I had have done back when I did it!

1. Writing practice essays and completing practice exams
I think I had a generally good understanding of the course content (I got A+, A for GA1/GA2 (SACs)), but in the exam I was ruined. I remember in reading time thinking to myself how easy it was and how much I could write. But when I actually began writing, I noticed I had the completely wrong idea and no time to rectify those errors of judgement. I ended up getting a B on the exam. Had have I garnered more experience avoiding those outcomes, developing recovery solutions or just knew what I should and shouldn't write, I daresay I could have done better.

2. Using the study design
At the end of the year, I had absolutely no idea what I was meant to know. I kind of had a list of philosophers, their main ideas and what support and criticisms I could make of them. That really wasn't sufficient, especially when I saw the dot points (and thought oh God).
In my own defense, I didn't use the study design for any of the subjects I did in 2016. I wasn't even told the study design existed!
But in any case, I think using the study design effectively as well as making connections between philosophers (which arguments counter which arguments, which example an be used against which example etc.) is a great strategy for summarising/notetaking.

3. Bounce ideas off of people
I did philosophy through DECV (distance ed), so it was especially difficult to really have a "philosophical debate" with anyone. When I did get together with the class, I remember feeling as though all my loose ends were tied. If you can teach other people what you're learning and hear their ideas, you're only doing yourself favours. Talking to your teacher and other philosophy students is also a must to make sure your logic or ideas aren't getting tangled.

I can't really think of anything much else, but I'm sure you'll be just fine.
You can definitely score 50 for philosophy. The scaling is not that bad; mine only went down one point.
Good luck!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 09:00:16 pm by sarangiya »
Sometimes you make choices, and sometimes choices make you.

♡ Subjects ♡
2015: Japanese SL [42]
2016: Psychology [43] Philosophy [36] Japanese SL [50] [Premier's Award]
2017: UMEP Further Advanced Japanese [4.5]
2018: Methods [24] English Language [41] Chemistry [31] Psychology [41] Cert III in Allied Health Assistance [4.3]
ATAR: 97.45
2019-2024: Bachelor of Medical Science/Doctor of Medicine @ UNSW

Sarangiya's 사랑하는 VCE Journal
Is Repeating a VCE Subject Worth It?

Jiolo

• Adventurer
  • The world is yours <3
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 08:58:31 pm »
+1
Thank you Sarangiya, Just saw this